Notch's Next Game is '0x10c'

• 162 results
#51 Posted by Humanity (9383 posts) -

So did I miss some news and he abandoned Scrolls or whats up with that next award winning Notch production? Am I allowed to call it Scrolls?

#52 Posted by cmblasko (1253 posts) -

That big-endian little-endian mistake reminds me of the "Ariane 5 failure," in which a rocket launch failed because of a programming bug wherein a 64-bit number was being forced into a 16-bit number. Funny how dumb bugs like that can have significant circumstances.

#53 Posted by Morningstar (2174 posts) -

I want scrolls please.

#54 Posted by Alphazero (1536 posts) -

Hey Notch, if you're out there, my friend has a full simulation of the 6502, not just an emulation. It's probably not fast enough for your needs (yet) but it sure is nifty. 

http://www.visual6502.org/JSSim/index.html

#55 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

@a5ehren said:

@countinhallways said:

@EmuLeader said:

I think the premise is kind of hilarious, considering I've never seen anyone have the basis of their story revolve around a computer register input incompatibility. 0x10c is still an odd name though. Depending on the input style, it is either

0x0001 0000 1100 or 0x1100 0000 0001. Neither one of those is the number mentioned in the story, so I wonder what it is supposed to mean.

0x denotes hexidecimal, 10 in hex is 16, c in hex is 12,

So 0x10^c translates to 16^12 in the decimal system. 16^12 = 281 474 976 710 656.

In the story something happened that led people to be "lost" or "sleep" or some shit. The first people to wake are now doing so in the year 281 474 976 712 644AD after 16^12 years.

So I guess the event that caused this "sleep" occurred in 281 474 976 712 644 - 281 474 976 710 656 = 1988.

Of course I could be totally and utterly incorrect.

Sounds plausible to me. I'm going to go with my "stupid programmers using 128-bit types (long long long int?)", then.

c also means the speed of light. So 10c is 10 times the speed of light.

#56 Posted by falco_eagle (220 posts) -

@Humanity said:

So did I miss some news and he abandoned Scrolls or whats up with that next award winning Notch production? Am I allowed to call it Scrolls?

Notch isn't working on Scrolls, that is mainly being worked on by Jakob Porsér.

#57 Posted by reelife (332 posts) -

So notch is going to take on Evochron eh? Let us the how it unfolds!

It actually sounds like Evochron when you read about the game on the website.

#58 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Sold at, 'hard science fiction'.

This.

#59 Posted by FoolishChaos (438 posts) -

I'll play any game whose description include big and little endian.

#60 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@Goldanas

He's got initial specs of the computer up on that website and, oh man, full on assemblers. He's taking his Lego design to the next level and creating a game that allows you to create a game at a granular level. It eschews being user-friendly, but on the scale that Notch is popular, it could usher in an age where young kids are happy to learn assembly, C, C++, and so on.

It's like on a scale of creative madness, you have Minecraft, LittleBigPlanet, and then this.

Exciting.

Damn, really? That sounds awesome- I didn't take to Minecraft because I have no artistic or architectural ability, but if I can apply my CS major to something like this...
#61 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

I was willing to support Mojang whatever they came up with. But this is just scary. I spend my whole work day staring at spread sheets and numbers. I hope this is more of a game than it sounds like.

#62 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

Can't wait to see it's hilariously inflated price.

#63 Edited by Cloneslayer (1632 posts) -

Minecraft and notch are over rated.

#64 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3341 posts) -

Straight garbage.

#65 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -

@countinhallways said:

@EmuLeader said:

I think the premise is kind of hilarious, considering I've never seen anyone have the basis of their story revolve around a computer register input incompatibility. 0x10c is still an odd name though. Depending on the input style, it is either

0x0001 0000 1100 or 0x1100 0000 0001. Neither one of those is the number mentioned in the story, so I wonder what it is supposed to mean.

0x denotes hexidecimal, 10 in hex is 16, c in hex is 12,

So 0x10^c translates to 16^12 in the decimal system. 16^12 = 281 474 976 710 656.

In the story something happened that led people to be "lost" or "sleep" or some shit. The first people to wake are now doing so in the year 281 474 976 712 644AD after 16^12 years.

So I guess the event that caused this "sleep" occurred in 281 474 976 712 644 - 281 474 976 710 656 = 1988.

Of course I could be totally and utterly incorrect.

0+1+0=1

So, think about that, huh?

#66 Edited by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

I feel like a damn nerd knowing what big and little endian are.

#67 Edited by Superfriend (1559 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

Notch stinks

Yeah. He stinks.. of MONEY!!!

I don´t know, Notch seems like an alright dude and the premise for this game is bananas, so I like it a whole lot. You can´t go any more niche-genre than "Space Sim with simulated onboard computer and power management". I bet NASA just soiled their nerdy pants.

#68 Posted by Morridin (75 posts) -

The title reminds me of an error a game once gave me while kicking me out. Think it was a gfx error in Diablo 2

#69 Posted by BlackLagoon (1442 posts) -

I liked it better back when it was Mars Effect.

#70 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11134 posts) -

Has anyone else put forth the idea that the game could involve flying to various planets that are in fact people's Minecraft worlds? I think that'd be cool.

#71 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -

Love the story behind it. Never got into Minecraft, so maybe this will be the one for me

#72 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

0x10c more like Starcraft AMIRITE!? No? Sorry...

#73 Edited by Bollard (5599 posts) -

I know he was stuck on a name, but really, he named it in hex?

Hang on, wasn't this his April Fools joke?

#74 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Whatever. When this dude proves he's not a one-hit wonder and releases a game that doesn't crib heavily from other lesser known games, maybe I'll pay attention to what he has to say.

#75 Posted by lucianotassis (77 posts) -

I might learn to love the thing. Privateer, here we come again! :)

#76 Posted by gbrading (2039 posts) -

"Now the year 281,474,976,712,644 AD..."

Sold!

#77 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Holllly shit he even released the instruction set for his 16 bit CPU. I am really curious as to how interacting with that thing will come into play.

#78 Posted by Feigr (186 posts) -

From what I've heard 0x10c is supposed to be pronounced 'Ten to the C'.

#79 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

I like Notch's insane use of computer science in his backstory.

#80 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

I'm just gonna read it out: zero-ex-ten-cee

#81 Posted by ultra2extreme (102 posts) -

Sounds pretty interesting, potentially industry shakingly fantastic. I will follow this with interest, the best things often come from accidental success stories.

#82 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (281 posts) -

This actually sounds pretty cool. Hopefully, and unlike what Minecraft turned into, it is. For me, anyway.

#83 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

That concept is amazing.

#84 Posted by Noisician (77 posts) -

Aww, I like heat death better than cold death...

#85 Posted by blackno99 (50 posts) -

Still, I doubt anything was expecting anything quite this specifically bonkers.

#86 Posted by Cubidog1 (228 posts) -

Seems interesting. Probably wont be out until next year though.

#87 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Oextensi.

#88 Posted by d00dCOMEON (24 posts) -

one failure after another until his fan base moves on and he quickly becomes bankrupt

#89 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

Good thing I'm a computer engineer and I 100% understood the premise

:)

#90 Posted by Subjugation (4722 posts) -

I don't see charging for multiplayer being viable unless it is really cheap.

#91 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1801 posts) -

@Erotolepsy said:

Seriously? I'm a perpetually stoned humanities major and the sciencese didn't seem that dense: "your astronaut's sleep machine broke. you wake up at the end of the universe," seems like the long and short of it.

Holy crap. My time machine from the past worked!

Listen, past self, you are about to go through some major changes. First of all, stop trying to open beer bottles with your teeth. Yeah, it's a cool party trick, but you'll pay for it later. Secondly, while German women are fun, don't fall in love with them. They are only using you for sex. Do the same. Lastly, we need to get your time machine to send you back before we cause some kind of temporal collapse. Unfortunately I can only offer long distance advice, as the presence of us both in the same room could be dangerous. I mean, I'm... you... we are not gay or anything, but we are very attractive, and technically it would just be masturbating...

See what I mean?! Quick, back to 2004!

#92 Posted by Bunnyman (213 posts) -

I haven't even played Minecraft. I still love this guy and hope this game is a success.

#93 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

You overlooked the part where he suggested there may be a monthly fee. I wonder if he'll be able to pull that off? He'll have to present something extremely compelling to do it, especially since he'll be competing with himself this time.

#94 Posted by LLJK_Jasta (292 posts) -

As someone who plays and loves EVE and also plays Minecraft, I cannot wait for this.

#95 Edited by dvorak (1497 posts) -

Sounds awesome. About 6 other similar projects that are in the works right now as well. Excited to see the outcome of all, because playing Pioneer lately has got me really juiced for this wave of new-Elite games.

#96 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

I will save the universe from inevitable heat death! By...by...uh...

#97 Posted by Chadster (326 posts) -

Hard sci-fi?

#98 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (901 posts) -

You have no idea how much I want this game right now. I especially like this part:

The computer in the game is a fully functioning emulated 16 bit CPU that can be used to control your entire ship, or just to play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish.

How fucking cool is that? Landing on planets, mining, trading, looting and all that... if this actually delivers on what it seems he want to do, this is going to be a huge time-sink.

Just as modded Minecraft has been for me. 'cause with mods Minecraft turns into a goddamn beast of a game, where you can really have fun with constructions, advanced machines and all that. Hell, on the server I play on now I am working on making a railroad network. With signal lights, diverting tracks, stations... the works. Not many games let you do that, and that is just a small part of what I can do.

I might even consider paying the monthly fee to join in on the multiplayer, 'cause that might be pretty neat.

#99 Posted by outerabiz (663 posts) -

hell yeah! Mars effect! can't wait

#100 Edited by Lumtaylor (1 posts) -

@d00dCOMEON said:

one failure after another until his fan base moves on and he quickly becomes bankrupt

What are your standards for success? If many many millions of dollars earned off of an indie java game made by a very small team, a gigantic and avid fanbase/community who play the game regularly (check out the minecraft reddit, or the forums), and continued support for a game that cost 1/3 of what major retail games cost and to this day releases patches on an almost weekly basis is failure, then I can't really see ANYBODY making a successful game EVER.

And now he's barely announced his new game, which sounds really innovative and cool, and the internet hate machine is already spooling up. I just cannot for the life of me understand the Notch Hate.

And to tie up all of the other misconceptions here, Scrolls is being developed by another team within Mojang, Jeb and the Bukkit team are working on minecraft and pushing regular updates, and the monthly subscription is only for the online play, which will apparently be persistent and thus require servers and thus require money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.