Notch's Next Game is '0x10c'

• 162 results
#101 Posted by psoplayer (238 posts) -

My mind is reeling with some of the possibilities suggested by the concept that Notch has described so far. The idea that you have an emulated computer to control your ship that runs even when you aren't playing is rather interesting. I imagine that with some degree of skill, the whole thing becomes a programming metagame where you're merely writing code for the computer to control your ship while you aren't logged in. (Would give you the advantage of effectively playing the game 24/7?)

I also imagine that there are simple ways to share computer code with others in the game so that you can grab and remix cool routines written by others. Perhaps someone crazy enough to build an ALU in Minecraft would write a BASIC compiler for the in-game DCPU bringing down the barrier to entry for everyone else. Carry that line of thought to a logical extreme: You end up joining 0x10c as a new player many years from now and your first steps in getting off the ground are to go download the DCPU port of the GCC, compile yourself the latest version of the community written kernel, etc.

#102 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (896 posts) -

@psoplayer: Just want to point you to this mod, which takes the "computer in computer" to a new extreme for me.

If the computer in 0x10c turns out to be hard to work with, I hope players like you will be there to help players like me!

#103 Posted by EmuLeader (558 posts) -

@countinhallways said:

@EmuLeader said:

I think the premise is kind of hilarious, considering I've never seen anyone have the basis of their story revolve around a computer register input incompatibility. 0x10c is still an odd name though. Depending on the input style, it is either

0x0001 0000 1100 or 0x1100 0000 0001. Neither one of those is the number mentioned in the story, so I wonder what it is supposed to mean.

0x denotes hexidecimal, 10 in hex is 16, c in hex is 12,

So 0x10^c translates to 16^12 in the decimal system. 16^12 = 281 474 976 710 656.

In the story something happened that led people to be "lost" or "sleep" or some shit. The first people to wake are now doing so in the year 281 474 976 712 644AD after 16^12 years.

So I guess the event that caused this "sleep" occurred in 281 474 976 712 644 - 281 474 976 710 656 = 1988.

Of course I could be totally and utterly incorrect.

Makes sense to me. I didn't realize the c was supposed to be an exponent, in the post it was looked like another number. 1988 seems like a very plausible start to the game, especially a sci-fi one dealing with such an error.

#104 Posted by psoplayer (238 posts) -

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

@psoplayer: Just want to point you to this mod, which takes the "computer in computer" to a new extreme for me.

That mod hurts my head! Why would you.... it's so.... AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! (But really, it all seems super awesome.)

#105 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Notch is awesome. And his viking blood makes him even better.

#106 Posted by Mode7 (31 posts) -

The first rule of enjoying Hard Science Fiction? Always have a safe word.

#107 Posted by Soulglove (145 posts) -

So, Mooncraft

#108 Posted by Trilogy (2653 posts) -

Ok, so like Barbie's Adventure Island. Got it.

#109 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

you've got a cloaking device but the ship is controlled by a emulated 16bit computer? waaaaa? computer programmer wanking is all I am hearing.

#110 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

fucking awesome. can't wait to play it.

#111 Edited by littlehippie (17 posts) -

@mbr2 said:

0x10c more like Starcraft AMIRITE!? No? Sorry...

Got an audible chuckle out of me with this one.

Edit:

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

@Erotolepsy said:

Seriously? I'm a perpetually stoned humanities major and the sciencese didn't seem that dense: "your astronaut's sleep machine broke. you wake up at the end of the universe," seems like the long and short of it.

Holy crap. My time machine from the past worked!

Listen, past self, you are about to go through some major changes. First of all, stop trying to open beer bottles with your teeth. Yeah, it's a cool party trick, but you'll pay for it later. Secondly, while German women are fun, don't fall in love with them. They are only using you for sex. Do the same. Lastly, we need to get your time machine to send you back before we cause some kind of temporal collapse. Unfortunately I can only offer long distance advice, as the presence of us both in the same room could be dangerous. I mean, I'm... you... we are not gay or anything, but we are very attractive, and technically it would just be masturbating...

See what I mean?! Quick, back to 2004!

As did this one -- Best comment section I've seen in awhile.

#112 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -

I have no idea how to pronounce that, so I'm going to continue to call it "Mars Effect", his April Fool's name announcement.

#113 Posted by 49th (2756 posts) -

Sounds like something I don't want to play!

#114 Edited by Anund (897 posts) -

@Crocio said:

@nERVEcenter said:

With my already existing knowledge of theoretical physics and astronomy in general, thinking about 281 trillion years and the rest of the universe being lost to red shift just serves to depress me.

You should send him an empathetic and understanding letter that would make him want to read the whole thing on why he's wrong, or better phrased, "to a closer understanding of modern astronomy".

Honestly, I think that would work.

Actually, the rest of the universe, galaxies other than the ones in our local cluser, WILL be lost to redshift. We will end up alone and, somehow even more depressingly, any future intelligent species who happen to start exploring the universe at that time will simply have no way of knowing of the existence of other galaxies outside our cluster. They therefore won't discover the expansion of the universe and consequently they will never know the size or age of the universe.

Maybe this is just something that bothers physics nerds...

#115 Posted by Bunny_Fire (302 posts) -

sounds interesting .... there better be futuristic space creepers though ... something that looks like a xenomorph

#116 Posted by ChrisTaran (1609 posts) -

I am going to pronounce this "Oxloc" as no other possible way to say 0x10c as a word comes to mind.

#117 Posted by selbie (1903 posts) -

@ChrisTaran said:

I am going to pronounce this "Oxloc" as no other possible way to say 0x10c as a word comes to mind.

If you say each number and letter it sounds like Zero Extancy....or Zero Ecstasy :P

#118 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Is is pronounced "0 times 10 to the power of c"? Because in that case, the "10 to the power of c" part is a bit redundant...

#119 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Why would I trust a word Notch says ever. That would be stupid.

#120 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Am I the only one confusing this name with The Elder Scrolls?

#121 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

The games sounds depressing, but then you said 16-bit commands, and I'm back on board.

#122 Posted by ChrisTaran (1609 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Am I the only one confusing this name with The Elder Scrolls?

I laughed harder than I should have at this :p

#123 Posted by mdimmett (21 posts) -

That seems an awful lot like FTL to me. http://www.ftlgame.com/

#124 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@selbie said:

@ChrisTaran said:

If you say each number and letter it sounds like Zero Extancy....or Zero Ecstasy :P

Actually it comes out as Zero ExTENcy. Unless you're from the south, then it is tancy.

#125 Posted by WinnipegFats (26 posts) -

This is damn exciting

I study Theoretical and Astrophysics at University and a game that incorporates even some of that field in a "hard science fiction" universe strikes a very specific chord with me. Also, if anyone can recreate my StarControl II experience, I trust Notch to do it.

#126 Posted by victor5 (1 posts) -

http://0x10cboards.com is up with some info

http://0x10cboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21

#127 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

I just hope we all call it Oxloc. And I can play a clone of Mario on my ship computer while I'm mining some asteroid.

#128 Posted by broqz (115 posts) -

@psoplayer: i love just about everything u said there. even though i understand almost none of it, it still leads me to speculate that in the game you are imagining, where code could be traded/sold/stolen? could there not also be virus code? could players destroy/control/trick other players with clever 16 bit code?

i know pretty much nothing concerning coding or whatnot (i did take a few BASIC class's in high school but that was a long time ago) but the idea of what you could possibly do with this game seems amazing. so i hope i would still be able to benefit from the communitys output. even with the threat of a virus.

#129 Edited by Zatoishwan (28 posts) -

Oh man, I am totally sold on this :P

I actually wrote a microprocessor emulator in my spare time while studying.

I havent touched minecraft so far. (Edit: SP)

And MMOs are not for me.. until now if you see this as an MMO or at least MMOish game.

So yay, it seems like there finally will be a game for total geekheads like me :)

#130 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

Notch is now Peter Monluex

#131 Posted by selbie (1903 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@selbie said:

@ChrisTaran said:

Actually it comes out as Zero ExTENcy. Unless you're from the south, then it is tancy.

That's why I said 'sounds LIKE'...and I'm aussie so I guess that's as far south as you can get :P

It's actually a cool coincidence if you take it as being derived from the word 'extant' which means to remain in existence. Thus, Zero Extancy would link to the fact that the rest of humanity is no longer "extant" :D

#132 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@selbie said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@selbie said:

@ChrisTaran said:

That's why I said 'sounds LIKE'...and I'm aussie so I guess that's as far south as you can get :P

It's actually a cool coincidence if you take it as being derived from the word 'extant' which means to remain in existence. Thus, Zero Extancy would link to the fact that the rest of humanity is no longer "extant" :D

hide hide hide, dont look at him, there's no argument here, literally nothing can be said to prove anything.

#133 Posted by thebigJ_A (1002 posts) -

@Fasckira said:

So... Scrolls? That looked kind of cool, but seems to have vanished post-legal-nonsense.

This looks cool though, deffo be keeping an eye on it!

It's still around. They just settled the case a couple weeks ago, and can use the name see: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/10/notch-and-bethesda-settle-on-scrolls/. Scrolls isn't being done by Notch himself, but by one of the teams of people he hired with his minecraft money (with input from him, obviously).

#134 Edited by psoplayer (238 posts) -

@broqz said:

@psoplayer: i love just about everything u said there. even though i understand almost none of it, it still leads me to speculate that in the game you are imagining, where code could be traded/sold/stolen? could there not also be virus code? could players destroy/control/trick other players with clever 16 bit code?

i know pretty much nothing concerning coding or whatnot (i did take a few BASIC class's in high school but that was a long time ago) but the idea of what you could possibly do with this game seems amazing. so i hope i would still be able to benefit from the communitys output. even with the threat of a virus.

Oh, absolutely. The possibilities of writing malevolent code would be just as real as they are in computers today. The primary (theoretical) difference is that you would have a lot less to gain by distributing a virus in 0x10c than by growing a botnet in the real world. EDIT: Notch on the subject: "Yes [you will be able to trade programs]. And I won't stop viruses, the players will have to do that themselves." Fun times, indeed!

I begrudgingly completed a semester of assembly programming half a decade ago, but a game like this might make me try my hand at it once more.

#135 Posted by DukesT3 (1917 posts) -

so a game?

#136 Posted by Fasckira (62 posts) -

@mosespippy: @thebigJ_A: Cheers guys, thanks for clearing that up!

#137 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

Sounds deep.

#138 Posted by mariussmit (243 posts) -

Is the name pronounced Zero Existency?

#139 Posted by isomeri (1275 posts) -

In 1988, a brand new deep sleep cell was released, compatible with all popular 16 bit computers. Unfortunately, it used big endian, whereas the DCPU-16 specifications called for little endian. This led to a severe bug in the included drivers, causing a requested sleep of 0x0000 0000 0000 0001 years to last for 0x0001 0000 0000 0000 years.

It's now the year 281 474 976 712 644 AD, and the first lost people are starting to wake up to a universe on the brink of extinction, with all remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy.

I'm interested in knowing exactly where these deep sleep cells were located? They couldn't be on Earth since the planet will likely have been vaporized at that point in time. Also there won't he a Milky Way that late in the game, we will have collided with Andromeda by then. Although it is highly unlikely that a star, planet or spacecraft would collide with anything from the other galaxy, shit would get flung around all over the place.

#140 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

I'm fuckin pumped for this. Can't wait to see what the man makes this time.

#141 Posted by raiz265 (2239 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@nERVEcenter said:

With my already existing knowledge of theoretical physics and astronomy in general, thinking about 281 trillion years and the rest of the universe being lost to red shift just serves to depress me.

Because it's inaccurate or because it's just sad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

#142 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

The game looks really interesting from the sounds of it besides the shitty graphics it's going to have. I like how it's going to force people that know nothing of computer science or how games are programmed to actually program things in some type of programming language.

#143 Posted by Nethlem (413 posts) -

That sounds like an cool setting for an videogame!

Something so messed up that most people can't even imagine how it's gonna play/look/feel in the end.

Let's just hope that at least Notch has some kind of idea how to make this work.

#144 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Oh hey.. people gonna be all over notches bell end again. hurray

#145 Posted by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

want

#146 Posted by ScreamingFist (364 posts) -

@Neonie said:

+1

#147 Posted by RurouniGeo (57 posts) -

I have never played minecraft or any derivative game but... I am extremely interested in this. I've always wanted to play around in an end of the universe/existence itself type world. I hope Notch takes as long as he needs to make this concept as awesome as it is.

#148 Posted by fisk0 (4104 posts) -
@psoplayer said:

@broqz said:

Oh, absolutely. The possibilities of writing malevolent code would be just as real as they are in computers today. The primary (theoretical) difference is that you would have a lot less to gain by distributing a virus in 0x10c than by growing a botnet in the real world. EDIT: Notch on the subject: "Yes [you will be able to trade programs]. And I won't stop viruses, the players will have to do that themselves." Fun times, indeed!

I begrudgingly completed a semester of assembly programming half a decade ago, but a game like this might make me try my hand at it once more.

Can't wait for the user made virtual anti-virus software, which needs so much resources to run it's real-time protection that you have to shut down almost all the ship's system to keep safe from malicious software.
#149 Posted by fisk0 (4104 posts) -
@ScreamingFist said:

@Neonie said:

+1

Considering the game's themes, maybe Derek Smart and his Battlecruiser 3000AD is an appropriate comparison. But maybe not when it comes to politeness.
#150 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

Space travel fiction just doesn't do it for me, and the games are so boring and nerdy

GOLLY GOSH I CAN'T WAIT TO TRADE 500 SPACE ROCKS FOR FUEL AT THE NEXT SPACE OUTPOST, THIS SURE IS ENTHRALLING

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.