First beta impressions

#1 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I snuck my way into the Canadian beta day 1.  Program is pretty cool.  You could tell they still needed to work some bugs out.  Sometimes the live announcer guy got cut off, sometimes there were long delays, and I got disconnected once.  The show also seems pretty long at 2 hours, but it's easy to quit and join any time you want.

Soon enough all of you will know more about it, but I'll give a brief overview.  There are 3 positions in playing the game, based on how well you do.  The crowd, which consists of many thousands of people, where you'll most likely end up.  The mob, a group of 100 players, and the one, a single player.

Every question is multiple choice 3 answers (mapped to X, A, and B).  You have about 4 seconds to answer each question.  You also get a bonus for answering quickly, and it seems you may keep that bonus even if you guess wrong, however that point total is pretty small.  You also get points for getting the question right, and also a bonus based on how many of the mob got it wrong and are kicked out, if you got it right.

Every so often the one can choose if he wants to take the money and run, or let the game continue.  It seems the one gets more money if he can kick out more of the mob, and the mob only splits the money between surviving players if the one gets a question wrong.

The one has 3 'help' points which he can use to automatically choose the most popular answer from the mob, the crowd, or the player that round that had the most correct answers.

Prizes don't seem especially generous.  The chances of being the one or in the mob seem extremely low, I didn't get in once and this was with about 10k players, imagine if there were millions...  They didn't award prizes this game, but if they had it seems the one bailed with about 2000/3000 MS points a few times, and the mob got a few hundred points a few times.  No matter what if you survive in the mob it seems you win a free XBLA game.  Also, just by getting questions right you get more chances at winning raffles.  The game collects all kinds of stats.

The voice quality of the host was VERY nice, he would comment on the one and talk about the questions, it was absolutely cool.  There were video and image ads too.

Questions were mostly entertainment focused.  I'd say ~40% general modern Hollywood/music/sports questions, ~30% recent Hollywood/music/sports happenings...  ~20% general knowledge/current events and ~5% science and ~5% videogames.

A few of the Hollywood type questions were too specific IMO, they asked about some particular internet singer, had a few band questions I knew nothing about, and quite a few movie actor questions.  Overall it wasn't too demanding, but certainly more focus on entertainment than I'd like.  When the show goes live for everyone the questions may change, obviously.

2 of the questions actually appeared on Jeopardy in the last ~2 weeks or so.  Most of the questions weren't too hard or too easy, and it was very fun to play.

It seems you'll be able to invite 4 friends, there's usually 4 other avatar players seated right beside you in the crowd, and sometimes they may inadvertently help you guess the right answer because you can hear when they buzz in.  If they buzz in before the 2nd answer even appears, you have some idea what you might want to guess.

Anyways, it seems like truly an innovative game, free for Gold users and real prizes.

If you have any more questions about it, I'd be glad to answer.  I recorded a few videos on my camera, but none of the videos are really great, they don't give you a great idea of the game.  I may upload them later or not.

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

How did you get into the beta?

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
CL60 said:
"How did you get into the beta?"
Created a Canadian gamertag, got a free month of Live automatically.  Surprised it let me in actually, I was worried it might not work.
#4 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Sounds cool. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

#5 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

Sounds fun. what does the crowd actually do?

#6 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

Sounds pretty good but as you say the chances of being the one is almost impossible and being in the 100.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
Diamond said:
"CL60 said:
Created a Canadian gamertag, got a free month of Live automatically.  Surprised it let me in actually, I was worried it might not work."
Wait? So how do you get it? I have a canadian GT, is it in the marketplace or something?
#8 Posted by Dethfish (3666 posts) -

They actually give away real prizes? Is that a limited time thing?

#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"So wait, people in the crowd get to answer the questions too?What's the point of their answers?  What effect does it have on the game?"
The higher the score you get in the crowd, the better chance you have of getting in the Mob.

Also, you`re answers determine the results of the lifelines.
#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"So wait, people in the crowd get to answer the questions too?What's the point of their answers?  What effect does it have on the game?"
Every answer you get right gives you additional raffle drawing chances.  You increase the chances of actually getting in the mob or being the one.  Also the crowd as a whole are one of the assists the one can use.

Dethfish77 said:

They actually give away real prizes? Is that a limited time thing?

They will give away real prizes, and they seem to be automatic issuance of MP points and free XBLA games, but of course you have to be one of the lucky few to get in the mob or be the one.  You could always win one of the raffles too, but that's probably even a lower probability.

CL60 said:
"Diamond said:
"CL60 said:
Created a Canadian gamertag, got a free month of Live automatically.  Surprised it let me in actually, I was worried it might not work."
Wait? So how do you get it? I have a canadian GT, is it in the marketplace or something?"
Should be right on the front page when you turn on your 360 if you're connected to Live.

#11 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"Well, I just made a canadian xbox account in order to play.What time does the show come on tonight central time?"
When you click on Primetime on the Canadian dashboard it should tell you exactly for your time zone, it's pretty well done.
#12 Posted by Player1 (3868 posts) -

So in the quick look I assume Jeff was in the crowd? Not the Mob. Can you explain the difference?

And so there really is only ONE game going on at a time. Damn that really sucks.
#13 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
Player1 said:
"So in the quick look I assume Jeff was in the crowd? Not the Mob. Can you explain the difference?

And so there really is only ONE game going on at a time. Damn that really sucks.
It looked like Jeff was just about to get in the mob before the quick look was ended.  I don't think they noticed, but the game tells you if you're in the mob or crowd (I don't know how getting selected as the one works).

The mob has a real chance of winning real MS points when the beta is over.  It's a group of only 100 people (out of ALL the viewers).  The mob gets paid when the one gets a question wrong (if they take the money, the mob gets nothing).  If you're in the mob it's to your benefit to be one of the last mob remaining (because the money is split between everyone).  If you're in the mob and you get a question wrong, you're done, and you apparently won't win anything.

The crowd is just every other person playing the game.  I guess you still could win a free XBLA game if you're one of the top 3 crowd players (not sure about that).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.