3D Dot Heroes makes me want to try a Zelda game

#1 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

Topic, basically xD 
I've never played much of any Zelda game, and watching the 3DDH QL made me want to try one. I'm thinking Windwaker, since I really like the art style. Out of all the Zelda games, which one would you recommend the most? 

#2 Posted by MercuryCrusader (257 posts) -

Since the game more resembles the playstyle of the top-down games, I'd say either the first game on the NES or A Link to the Past on the SNES.  Both are great and still relevant games, but if graphics actually matter to you, I guess avoid the NES one.  (Pros play the NES one, heh)
#3 Edited by august (3854 posts) -

A Link to the Past, son.

If you play the nes one, get ready to look up some maps.

EDIT: Wind Waker is also amazing, but I was nes era kid so I would want you to start with the classics.

#4 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

People can bitch all they want but Wind Waker is the best Zelda game.

#5 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

If you want a game of that style get A Link to the Past which to me will always be the best Zelda game and the one that I always go back to every couple of years.

#6 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -

I have a NES right next to me that hasn't been used in...about 8 years, and I can't find the damn power chord. 
Thanks guys, I'll have to check them out.

#7 Posted by Steve_C (1756 posts) -

Either Link to the Past or Wind Waker depending on the experience you want.

#8 Posted by Noodlearms (586 posts) -
@Steve_C said:
" Either Link to the Past or Wind Waker depending on the experience you want. "
Which does each give?
#9 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

oracle of season!

#10 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -
@Noodlearms said:
" I have a NES right next to me that hasn't been used in...about 8 years, and I can't find the damn power chord. Thanks guys, I'll have to check them out. "
Get an FC twin and play both NES and SNES games.
#11 Edited by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -
@Noodlearms said:

" @Steve_C said:

Which does each give? "
A Link to the Past is regarded by many as the best top down- 2D Zelda game.  Wind Waker is arguably the best 3D Zelda, but I have seen a lot more disagreement over that.  I pretty much liked all 3D Zeldas and couldn't pick a favorite.  However, I think they are all inferior to the 2D renditions.   

EDIT: 3D dot heroes looks to play like all the the 2D games with the exception of Zelda 2 on the NES which was the oddball.  (but still pretty good)
#12 Posted by TobyD81 (1228 posts) -

If you like 3DDGH, you should play the original Legend of Zelda. You'll find lots of similarities. Also, my personal favorite is A Link To The Past. Great game.

#13 Posted by Jackal888 (97 posts) -

Making a high definition Zelda-ish adventure in this style is awesome. Keep the challenges of a Zelda yet looks good on our modern system. I am excited for this game.

#14 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

If you want an experience similar to 3D Dot Game Heroes then play A Link to the Past but for a 3D Zelda I say Wind Waker.

#15 Posted by Steve_C (1756 posts) -
@Noodlearms said:
" @Steve_C said:
Which does each give? "
You can pretty much split the zelda franchise into 2d/top-down games and 3d ones.

Link to the Past is the best of the 2d games and a classic in its own right. It more closely resembles what you saw in the 3D Dot Heroes quick look. At their core though, the Zelda games aren't too different whatever you play.

Wind Waker is my personal favourite zelda game. Some would suggest you play Ocarina of Time as being the best 3d zelda (certainly for it's time anyway), but it's dated for sure. Wind Waker looks gorgeous, controls wonderfully (LOVE the gamecube controller... mostly), and also had a specific playful atmosphere that I enjoyed. So if you want to go for a 3d zelda, go with wind waker first. But then play OoT and maybe try out Majora's Mask.

It may be worth checking our some footage of each game to see what you're in for, and choose what looks most appealing.
#16 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Though Majora's Mask is my personal favorite, it's quite different from the usual formula, and is a bit harder for newcomers to get into. Link to the Past is an excellent game to start with since that was the game that pretty much estabilished the formula that is used in almost all other zelda titles today.

#17 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -
@kishan6 said:
" oracle of season! "
I always had a soft spot for this Zelda game.
Seasons > Ages
#18 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The 3D Zelda games play more like Darksiders.  If you want a 3D Dot Heroes-like experience, stick to the 2D Zeldas, specifically Zelda 1 on NES or Link to the Past on SNES.  I'd recommend LTTP.

#19 Posted by TheHT (11526 posts) -

I actually started replaying A Link To The Past while waiting for 3D Dot Game heroes to come out.

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -
#21 Posted by Killroycantkill (1415 posts) -

GBA Zeldas will be the easiest to get your hands on if you want the "classic" experience. As many other people said, Link to the Past is the way to go. Other good ones are the Oracle series, Minish Cap, any other GAB Zelda I can't think of right now.

#22 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

far cry 2

#23 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

3D Dot heroes is refering to A Link to the Past the most. Play that one if you want the definitive 2D experience.  
Also, if you have a GBA, or DS with GBA slot, find yourself a copy of Minish Cap--it's an awesome version of the game as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.