Will this game sell?

#1 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -

So this game is unapologetically an old school Zelda game (specifically the original Zelda game).  Does this type of game still work in this day and age of developers basically holding your hand in open world type games?  It's my understanding that there will be points in this game where you won't really know where to go next and will have to explore.  This is very different from Infamous, for example as I'm currently replaying it, in which there is a way point for where to go for the next story type mission.  I'm interested in this game and I think I will pick it up, but I'm curious if others are really interested in this game or if it's a little too "hard core" for this day and age.  Also, if you are picking it up, have you been playing video games for a long time or are you a newer gamer?  I have a feeling this game will be more popular for people who have some old school zelda nostalgia.

#2 Posted by Creamypies (4066 posts) -

I think it looks neat, but I'd imagine it probably won't sell that well.

#3 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

Of course somebody will buy it... 

Will it sell well? I don't know.

#4 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

I'm gonna get

That's one.

#5 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Demon Souls sold pretty well, so you never know.
#6 Posted by newt (92 posts) -

This game will probably be worth getting regardless of whether is sells.  Regardless, it's getting a fair amount of press and any/all (p)reviews I've seen have been positive.  It is likely the publisher will be happy with sales figures. 

The real question-- why do you care if a game sells?  It has little bearing on the game being a worthwhile experience (esp. single player games).

#7 Posted by jasonlblair (74 posts) -

I've been gaming for a long time but I didn't get into Zelda until The Wind Waker so I have a lot of experience in gaming but I'm not nostalgic for 8-bit adventure games. That said, this game really excites me. Aside from the excellent presentation. the game seems to have a great attitude which the Quick Look supports.

All that, combined with a $40 price tag, makes it an easy sell for me.

#8 Posted by iPhone_Tyler (136 posts) -

I'll be getting it!

#9 Posted by jeff4moso (212 posts) -
@newt: I guess I'm just interested in the interest in the game.  It's a very old school game that is coming out in an era where that type of game design isn't done very much anymore.
#10 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" I finished it soon after getting it, I didn't find anything relating to the gameplay - "hardcore".  It's nostalgia driven JRPG fare that will appeal primarily to fans of the genre, but hopefully many others also.   I hope it does because it is a good game.   "
Awwwwwww. Damn. I was hoping it would have some of that Demon's Souls replayability.
#11 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

No it is too niche. I'm definitely getting it as it (along with Heavy Rain) were the games I bought my PS3 for.

And let's not get started on the whole "is Zelda an RPG; let alone a JRPG?" bullshit.

#12 Posted by WillyFourEyes (82 posts) -

Probably not, but I'll be one of its release-day-purchase customers.

#13 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

My local Hastings only got one copy in and the dude had to look for it for like a half hour before he came back to the front with it. It certainly won't sell if stores don't fucking carry it. I should call Walmart and see if they ended up getting many.

edit: Walmart had zero. Something makes me think it didn't sell out.

#14 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" My local Hastings only got one copy in and the dude had to look for it for like a half hour before he came back to the front with it. It certainly won't sell if stores don't fucking carry it. I should call Walmart and see if they ended up getting many.  edit: Walmart had zero. Something makes me think it didn't sell out. "
It's an Atlus game, they never sell crazy copies and places like Walmart or Target won't usually carry it.  Why?  Because it's not a FPS or a big name title.  As much as I hate Gamestop, they are a blessing if you are a fan of lesser known developers.  Atlus is one of my favorite developers and a lot of the time I have to preorder from Gamestop to be guaranteed a copy.  Either that or use Amazon.com.

But, as for the title of this thread, will the game sell?  Yeah, it will sell.  It's not going to sell crazy amounts, but the Atlus faithful and a handful of new fans will latch on.  You need to think smaller with these types of games...they won't compete with the Modern Warfares of BioShocks, but they will do well on their own.
#15 Posted by Getz (3017 posts) -

It's a niche market, but I think this game will turn a profit considering it (probably) didn't cost very much to make. Critics will inevitably like it and it will sell reasonably well on word of mouth.

#16 Posted by Tatsukishi (17 posts) -

Will probably sell out and become rare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.