3D Realms Looks to Crowdfund Its Next Game

• 110 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2215 posts) -
Here's what Earth No more looked like when the project was first discussed a few years back.

3D Realms is apparently mounting a comeback. Crowdfunding service Gambitious is advertising an awfully interesting upcoming project preparing to launch: a new 3D Realms game.

Yes, the same 3D Realms that worked on Duke Nukem Forever for more than a decade, and failed to produce that game before someone else came in and saved it. Maybe things have changed?

In any case, 3D Realms will reportedly look for capital from Internet citizens to revive Earth No More. Earth No More was once a project that was intended to be developed by Recoil Games in partnership with Radar Group, which was co-founded by 3D Realms co-founder Scott Miller. That dissolved a few years back, but apparently Miller hasn’t completely forgotten about Earth No More.

The big difference between Kickstarter and Gambitious is the ability to get actual equity of a project.

Here’s the project description, by the way:

“Mankind’s relentless destruction of Earth awakens a biological response from deep within the planet’s crust that threatens an environmental apocalypse.”

Eurogamer got in touch with Gambitious, who provided a few more details about the project. It’s set to be developed by 3D Realms in collaboration with an unknown other developer. This makes it likely 3D Realms is only overseeing it, a role the company has held in the past with games like Prey, which was largely created by Human Head.

It’s unclear when 3D Realms will formally launch its pitch for Earth No More.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2215 posts) -
Here's what Earth No more looked like when the project was first discussed a few years back.

3D Realms is apparently mounting a comeback. Crowdfunding service Gambitious is advertising an awfully interesting upcoming project preparing to launch: a new 3D Realms game.

Yes, the same 3D Realms that worked on Duke Nukem Forever for more than a decade, and failed to produce that game before someone else came in and saved it. Maybe things have changed?

In any case, 3D Realms will reportedly look for capital from Internet citizens to revive Earth No More. Earth No More was once a project that was intended to be developed by Recoil Games in partnership with Radar Group, which was co-founded by 3D Realms co-founder Scott Miller. That dissolved a few years back, but apparently Miller hasn’t completely forgotten about Earth No More.

The big difference between Kickstarter and Gambitious is the ability to get actual equity of a project.

Here’s the project description, by the way:

“Mankind’s relentless destruction of Earth awakens a biological response from deep within the planet’s crust that threatens an environmental apocalypse.”

Eurogamer got in touch with Gambitious, who provided a few more details about the project. It’s set to be developed by 3D Realms in collaboration with an unknown other developer. This makes it likely 3D Realms is only overseeing it, a role the company has held in the past with games like Prey, which was largely created by Human Head.

It’s unclear when 3D Realms will formally launch its pitch for Earth No More.

#2 Posted by AdH0c (127 posts) -

About time

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5155 posts) -

Can't wait to see this game in 12 years!

#4 Posted by Dozeworthy (16 posts) -

Hopefully George Broussard is nowhere near this project.

#5 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

Yeah I saw this yesterday when I looked at the Mushroom Men sequel on the same site (poor guys have like $600 out of like a quarter million :() and was wondering if it was 30 or 3D Realms

#6 Posted by Murdoc_ (447 posts) -

Good luck with that. *eye roll*

#7 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

I'm not sure the Kickstarter crowd will take to "when it's done" as a release date.

#8 Posted by Abendlaender (2889 posts) -

Wait....3D Realms is still alive?

#9 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

I'm not sure the Kickstarter crowd will take to "when it's done" as a release date.

I hope people who look at it, KNOW 3D Reals history. Since right now if you put a man convicted of Scams his entire life, next to 3D Realms Id trust the Conman with my money before 3D Realms.

#10 Posted by chilibean_3 (1698 posts) -

I would love to hear somebody try to justify committing money to this project. I understand this isn't the exact same as Kickstarter in that you can get more out of a product you helped fund but it is still an insane idea.

#11 Posted by Shaanyboi (1343 posts) -

Ummm... how about you fuck right off instead, 3D Realms?

#12 Posted by FuriousJodo (124 posts) -

Who the hell would offer these guys any money after the DNF fiasco?

#13 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Dozeworthy said:

This is more of a Scott Miller project

That may or may not be a better thing

#14 Posted by justin3d (60 posts) -

Patrick, I would love to read an article about how Gambitious works. Reading their pages makes it all rather confusing. Definitely a fair number of fees you have pay.

#15 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

No thank you.

#16 Posted by poheroe (155 posts) -

meh

#17 Posted by Elow (45 posts) -

Guys, I have an idea!

Lets put money in this jar for 10 years and see what comes of it!

#18 Posted by ChrisTaran (1678 posts) -

I'll think about this. Neither immediately into it our against it.

#19 Posted by zeekthegeek (389 posts) -

@justin3d said:

Patrick, I would love to read an article about how Gambitious works. Reading their pages makes it all rather confusing. Definitely a fair number of fees you have pay.

That's really why Kickstarter doesn't allow actual investment: there are a LOT of government regulations, taxes, etcetera involved in that kind of thing.

#20 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

No. Just no.

#21 Posted by jerseyscum (926 posts) -

Yeah. Like any sane person would trust then with a goddamn cent.

#22 Posted by LarryDavis (1228 posts) -

Ok, I didn't even realize "Gambitious" was a portmanteau of "game" and "ambitious". I thought it was for "gamble".

Which is probably more accurate, especially in this case.

#23 Posted by Warchief (661 posts) -

BWAHAHAHA. Just no.

#24 Posted by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

Who on earth with two brain cells would fund a 3D realms project after Duke Nukem Forever?

#25 Posted by Deusoma (3032 posts) -
@FuriousJodo said:

Who the hell would offer these guys any money after the DNF fiasco?

Presumably Randy Pitchford, he seems to be operating under the delusion that DNF was totally awesome. :P
#26 Edited by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

I have no faith in 3d realms, so I am not holding my breath.

#27 Posted by runnah555 (146 posts) -
#28 Edited by MAJID (223 posts) -

Timely reminder.

#29 Posted by Stinky51012 (162 posts) -

Who is honestly paying for all these kickstarters? Someone? Anyone?

#30 Posted by EveretteScott (1533 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

I have no fate in 3d realms, so I am not holding my breath.

faith*

#31 Posted by mewarmo990 (838 posts) -

@Stinky51012 said:

Who is honestly paying for all these kickstarters? Someone? Anyone?

Serious question?

Obviously the crowdfunding itself, but the hosting site takes a significant cut. Especially since Gambitious sounds like an actual investment thing (while Kickstarter is more of a donation site), there must be a lot of fees and regulations involved.

Also, these Kickstarters by established software developers usually already have some capital invested (meaning they're not real kickstarters, where nothing happens if it fails) - the Kickstarter functions more as a PR tool and a way for people to pre-order the game while feeling like they are directly supporting the developers.

#32 Posted by Lurkero (421 posts) -

Before anyone decides to donate money to a 3D Realms project they better put a "time allotted" clause into the contract.

#33 Posted by Kosayn (453 posts) -

Seems Legit.jpg

#34 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

I'm already into the whole kickstarter thingy, I don't want to start frequenting another website such as Gambitious.

#35 Posted by runnah555 (146 posts) -

Ok on a serious note... WHY THE HELL WOULDN'T YOU CHANGE THE NAME?

The name "3d realms" has so much stank on it no one would ever touch it.

#36 Posted by knightlyknave (119 posts) -

@Elow said:

Guys, I have an idea!

Lets put money in this jar for 10 years and see what comes of it!

A jar full of acid would be more accurate.

#37 Posted by Mumrik (1093 posts) -

Announced in 2007 guys - http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/06/earth_no_more.html

Who would dare do this?

They haven't even put out an estimated release date, have they?

#38 Edited by gbrading (2132 posts) -

Nobody with any sense would ever fund this. That's why I full expect the project to be funded. *rolls eyes*

Funny that Gambitious contains the word "gambit". I'd certainly call this a risky gambit.

#39 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

After the last one I'd actually consider paying 3D Realms to promise not to make another game ever again.

#40 Posted by CircleNine (380 posts) -

Now you can piss your money away directly waiting for a game to spend 15 years in development and get shit at a result instead of watching publishers do it instead? I'm in!

#41 Posted by Mumrik (1093 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Dozeworthy said:

This is more of a Scott Miller project

That may or may not be a better thing

While Miller did some good things, isn't he also essentially the guy who let Broussard and company fuck 3DR into the ground slowly over more than a decade? I feel like his association still matters.

#42 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

...if Broussard isn't involved, I don't see why they'd use the 3D Realms name. It's only been a joke for going on fourteen years now.

If Broussard is involved, I don't see why anyone would even consider giving them money.

#43 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -
Looks legit
#44 Edited by CornBREDX (6056 posts) -

Unfortunately, as much as I once loved 3d Realms, I lost faith in them and I also have little to no faith in this legitimacy.

I am skeptical

#45 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1255 posts) -

I am sure that it will be a huge pile of shit too when it comes out in 14 years...Who the fuck would hire these guys to do anything?

#46 Posted by SSully (4329 posts) -

I honestly can't believe that they kept the 3D Realms name after the abomination that was Duke Nukem Forever.

#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@Akyho said:

@iAmJohn said:

I hope people who look at it, KNOW 3D Reals history. Since right now if you put a man convicted of Scams his entire life, next to 3D Realms Id trust the Conman with my money before 3D Realms.

Woah, that is pretty harsh! Care to elaborate as to why you resent 3D Realms so much?

For me, since they birthed one of the games that put the PC in the forefront (Duke Nukem franchise regardless of the DNF fiasco) and since they helped make Max Payne, my all time favorite game, come to life, I will be throwing my money at them just as a big "thank you" for the past.

#48 Posted by Lazyaza (2212 posts) -

And here I was just thinking man sure would be great to set some money on fire.

#49 Posted by virtorio (252 posts) -

Can't think of a good reason why this wouldn't be 100% successful

#50 Posted by mbr2 (571 posts) -

Isn't that how DNF was kept alive for so long? BOOM!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.