3D Realms Looks to Crowdfund Its Next Game

• 109 results
#51 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: why don't you crowdfund things that actually have a chance of coming out?

#52 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

I'd rather put down $50 on a hand of Black Jack, then at least you've got a chance of seeing a return, and the wait wouldn't be nearly as long or painful.

#53 Posted by kerikxi (542 posts) -

This is absolutely pathetic. 3D Realms completely and utterly screwed the pooch on DNF so hard there's not a publisher in this world that will ever trust them with a penny ever, ever again. So instead, they're now trying to skip the middleman and screw consumers out of their cash directly.

This company is dead. If there's anybody actually left working there, they should be making every effort to move on to greener pastures. I have no doubt 3D Realms have/had actual talent working under them, but at this point they are never going to be financially successful again. Just nail the coffin shut, sell all the IP and get the people somewhere they can actually finish/release games.

#54 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AhmadMetallic: why don't you crowdfund things that actually have a chance of coming out?

I didn't realize they had a track record of keeping unfinished games in limbo. I remember playing the first Duke Nukem before I learned to speak, then when the DOOM craze hit I played that and some Duke Nukem 3D, then a few years later I played Max Payne which without 3D's support probably would've never been finished.

What games by them other than DNF took forever to come out (or they never finished)? Or are we judging and resenting them solely based on their DNF failure?

#55 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -

2K invested in 3D Realms, and it worked out real good for them. They are the absolute last studio to ask for crowd funding for a game, considering they haven't made anything worth a damn in 16 years.

#56 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

lmao

#57 Posted by JasonR86 (9746 posts) -

If I were a publisher I wouldn't put money behind a 3D Realms game after the Duke Nukem Forever debacle. So why would I want to do that with my own money?

#58 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5043 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Here's the thing: The developer who made most of DNF are the 3D Realms of the present and not the one who lives in your childhood memories. What do you think, how out of shape are they, working on a game for more than a decade?

#59 Edited by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

@kerikxi said:

This is absolutely pathetic. 3D Realms completely and utterly screwed the pooch on DNF so hard there's not a publisher in this world that will ever trust them with a penny ever, ever again. So instead, they're now trying to skip the middleman and screw consumers out of their cash directly.

Death to middlemen! I demand the opportunity to personally squander my cash on a proven failure!

@AlexanderSheen said:

@AhmadMetallic: Here's the thing: The developer who made most of DNF are the 3D Realms of the present and not the one who lives in your childhood memories. What do you think, how out of shape are they, working on a game for more than a decade?

Is this something that could be fixed with a training montage?

#60 Posted by Murdoc_ (413 posts) -

@aceofspudz: I'm sure Strauss Zelnick approves of this.

#61 Posted by OldManLight (893 posts) -

in other news, i'm digging a hole right through the center of the earth, directly into china. If you'd like to fund this endeavor please send me your money. I'm 99.9% sure i'll be successful in this.

#62 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

Why is this an article about a thing a company is doing on a website without a link to that thing the company is doing on that website? You tell us about them having this on Gambitious but never actually link to the Gambitious page where it is? Why?

#63 Posted by RazielCuts (2978 posts) -

Ahahaha, ahahaha. Good one 3D Realms, thats pure comedy. You expect people to invest in your next game when your last game was in development for 15 years and was taken off of you to finish? You are the least investable studio on the planet, investors money would be better sloshing around in poker tournaments, the odds of winning are better.

#64 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5043 posts) -

@aceofspudz: It has to be a really, REALLY good montage. Like the Rocky montage, but instead of boxing, it's about game developing.

#65 Posted by AndrewB (7670 posts) -

Even though my initia response was ire, I'm still not sure if 3D Realms should be written off entirely for the fiasco of Duke. That said, there's no way I'd toss money at this thing unless it was done. You can't have that track record and expect any sort of trust that an actual game will come of this, and its quality is up in the air.

#66 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Wasn't the issue with Forever largely in part a complete lack of faith and capital from their partners?

#67 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

Since I rarely keep up with personnel changes in game studios, I didn't realize this. Is that common knowledge? Cause in that case, I'll pass!

#68 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

Coming soon in 2032.

#69 Posted by Enigma_2099 (149 posts) -

After what they pulled with Duke Nukem Forever, I'm surprised anyone would give them money.

#70 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (558 posts) -

No.

Sorry, 3D Realms, but no.

#71 Posted by Tennmuerti (8145 posts) -

Oh the hilarity!

#72 Posted by Conojo (148 posts) -

I like this solely for what will have to be the greatest kickstarter pitch video ever.

"Hey guys, we're 3D Realms, the guy's whooo...well, um, we're the guys who took all of 2K's money and left them with garbage. Money please?"

#73 Posted by GiantAlston (93 posts) -

I will give 3D realms a second try if they release it in a fair enough time.

#74 Posted by fisk0 (4306 posts) -

I'm somewhat optimistic about this, if not for the small issue that the entire 3D Realms staff was laid off in 2009. Who exactly is this iteration of the studio? Kinda sounds like the recent Interplay/Black Isle thing to me.

#75 Posted by chrissedoff (2153 posts) -

They've got balls of steel.

#76 Edited by jaks (245 posts) -

Who in their right mind would give 3D realms a fucking dollar? 14 year development cycle that results in nothing and they want their "fans" to fund their next game? Isn't 2K straight up suing them for fraud? And now they want to crowdfund something? I'd sooner back Milli Vanilli's comback album.

#77 Posted by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

What's next, a kick starter for the Phantom?

#78 Posted by rts375 (56 posts) -

Hey 3D Realms, why don't you go fuck off instead? You lazy turds don't deserve to ever work in this industry again.

#79 Posted by Grilledcheez (3952 posts) -

Well, it's obvious the gaming community is a little bit skeptical, with good reason.

#80 Posted by chilipeppersman (1167 posts) -

@jerseyscum: serious. this is pretty dumb.

#81 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

After Duke, I think everyone lost faith.

#82 Posted by Xymox (2107 posts) -

Didn't they shut down? Or is it like a one man company at this point, George just keeping the name alive? Also didn't they decide to use Apogee instead?

#83 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

3d realms NO MORE

#84 Posted by Jackel2072 (2269 posts) -

isn't that the same plot line as the happening?

#85 Posted by Morden2261 (278 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

Yeah. Like any sane person would trust then with a goddamn cent.

This, about a million times and for twelve years.

#86 Posted by Korolev (1715 posts) -

By the time this game comes out, will they even remember the folks who funded the kickstarter? Hell, will those who put money into the kickstarter even remember that this project even existed?

#87 Posted by BradGrenz (60 posts) -

Anyone stupid enough to trust 3D Realms with their money deserves to lose it.

#88 Posted by Whoomp (4 posts) -

So a developer that pissed away money for 14 years developing a shit game wants gamers to give them some more out of the kindness of their heart [presumably since no publisher or other funders trusts them]? SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN.

#89 Posted by Cowman (675 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

They're here to kickstart and chew bubble gum, and they're all out of gum.

#90 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

It's somewhat disgusting to me that 3D Realms, of all companies, tries to get on the Kickstarter bandwagon. It may look good and the people actually responsible for making the actual game may be ambitious with a clear goal in mind, but this sounds like an absolute PR disaster.

#91 Posted by isomeri (1329 posts) -

Recoil has a lot of great talent and I would love to see this dream project of theirs finally see the light of day.

#92 Posted by selbie (1937 posts) -

@Cowman said:

@chrissedoff said:

They're here to kickstart and chew bubble gum, and they're all out of gum.

Hmmm...the OTHER kick starter

#93 Posted by ThePantheon (744 posts) -

BAHAHAHAHA 3D REALMS. BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

#94 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

Mists of Panderia just came out.

George Broussard and co might need to push back the release date a bit...

#95 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I think Kickstarters are a great idea for getting certain games made. Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Broken Sword 5 are games that would never get made these days, and if they were, the publishers would demand changes for "mass appeal". But they work, because they're types of games that people just don't make any more and are from developers with a reputation for making quality games.

3D Realms haven't done anything good since Duke 3D and their last game was a mess (both in the internal production and finished game) and it's an FPS. Do we need more FPS? Does it really need to be crowd funded? Chances are they're doing this because no publisher would trust them and I find it rather insulting that they expect gamers to get behind this.

#96 Posted by peritus (1056 posts) -

Are there even enoug people left that trust these guys to actually finish a game?

#97 Posted by kagato (945 posts) -

Ive backed a fair few kickstarters in my time but i wouldnt touch a 3D Realms project no matter how promising it looks. They have already proven that they can squander millions of dollars and have little to show for it. Why anyone would throw any cash at them is beyond me...

#98 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Do not give these people money.

#99 Posted by dancingpolkabear (213 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Recoil has a lot of great talent and I would love to see this dream project of theirs finally see the light of day.

But this isn't necessarily Recoil developing. All the details so far say that an unannounced developer is working on it. If it was them, I'm sure 3d Realms would be a bit more up front about it.

#100 Posted by mr_shoeless (387 posts) -

Now you can invest your own money in the team that didn't bring you Duke Nukem Forever!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.