Giant Bomb x 8-4

Posted by patrickklepek (3464 posts) -

You might have noticed a familiar sound at the beginning of this week’s 8-4 Play podcast, the sometimes bi-weekly podcast about Japanese games from the localization party joint known as 8-4.

We’re friends with those guys, and we love the 8-4 Play podcast.

Hell, I’ve been friends with and worked with John Ricciardi and Mark MacDonald since I was...14? Probably earlier than that, if I actually did the math. It all goes back to an IRC channel called #vidgames, which is where I originally met Brad, too. Time flies.

And the last time Giant Bomb went to Japan, Brad toured through 8-4’s office, remember?

Ever since I came on board at Giant Bomb, I’ve been scheming for a way to get those guys involved over here in a way that made sense for Giant Bomb, 8-4, and most importantly, our communities.

That finally happened last night, when the latest 8-4 Play revealed that we’ll be the new home for their podcast. The actual page will go live soon--stay tuned! Thing is, our tools don’t allow us to keep podcast pages secret, so we couldn’t really build anything until the news was out there. Eventually, after the site's rebuilt, we'll be hosting the podcast the moment it's finished being edited, but for the time being, it will go live on Giant Bomb a few hours after 8-4 pushes it live. If you're already an 8-4 Play listener, you won't have to change your current RSS feed--everything stays the same. Over the next few weeks, we'll be adding all of 8-4's back catalog of episodes onto the site, too.

Pretty soon, there will be a spot for 8-4 Play under the Bombcast on the podcasts tab. Nothing about the Bombcast is changing, and nothing about 8-4 Play is changing. This isn’t a merger, it’s just a partnership, which may lead to other cool things later. Who knows? I mean, imagine the trouble we could get up to with 8-4 if we made it back to Japan.

This isn’t the start of some Giant Bomb podcast network, either. Making this move simply felt...right.

For now, take a deep breath. Giant Bomb will continue to have Quick Looks, reviews, and longwinded discussions about Japanese video games and Tetsuya Nomura. But if you’re looking for a little bit more, especially if you’re a fan of that thing Japan calls Monster Hunter, well, 8-4’s got your back. Please give these guys a warm welcome!

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3464 posts) -

You might have noticed a familiar sound at the beginning of this week’s 8-4 Play podcast, the sometimes bi-weekly podcast about Japanese games from the localization party joint known as 8-4.

We’re friends with those guys, and we love the 8-4 Play podcast.

Hell, I’ve been friends with and worked with John Ricciardi and Mark MacDonald since I was...14? Probably earlier than that, if I actually did the math. It all goes back to an IRC channel called #vidgames, which is where I originally met Brad, too. Time flies.

And the last time Giant Bomb went to Japan, Brad toured through 8-4’s office, remember?

Ever since I came on board at Giant Bomb, I’ve been scheming for a way to get those guys involved over here in a way that made sense for Giant Bomb, 8-4, and most importantly, our communities.

That finally happened last night, when the latest 8-4 Play revealed that we’ll be the new home for their podcast. The actual page will go live soon--stay tuned! Thing is, our tools don’t allow us to keep podcast pages secret, so we couldn’t really build anything until the news was out there. Eventually, after the site's rebuilt, we'll be hosting the podcast the moment it's finished being edited, but for the time being, it will go live on Giant Bomb a few hours after 8-4 pushes it live. If you're already an 8-4 Play listener, you won't have to change your current RSS feed--everything stays the same. Over the next few weeks, we'll be adding all of 8-4's back catalog of episodes onto the site, too.

Pretty soon, there will be a spot for 8-4 Play under the Bombcast on the podcasts tab. Nothing about the Bombcast is changing, and nothing about 8-4 Play is changing. This isn’t a merger, it’s just a partnership, which may lead to other cool things later. Who knows? I mean, imagine the trouble we could get up to with 8-4 if we made it back to Japan.

This isn’t the start of some Giant Bomb podcast network, either. Making this move simply felt...right.

For now, take a deep breath. Giant Bomb will continue to have Quick Looks, reviews, and longwinded discussions about Japanese video games and Tetsuya Nomura. But if you’re looking for a little bit more, especially if you’re a fan of that thing Japan calls Monster Hunter, well, 8-4’s got your back. Please give these guys a warm welcome!

Staff
#2 Posted by ElixirBronze (417 posts) -

o...kay?

#3 Edited by Depth (354 posts) -

Thats cool, now there are some people who can talk about the stuff that the giantbomb duders do not have knowledge about.

#4 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

Welcome to the family. Also be very afraid.

#5 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

We are turning japanese.

#6 Posted by MixMasterShake (51 posts) -

Nice. When I heard they were breaking away from 1up I never thought they would end up here.

#7 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Ah yes Patrick Klepek, staunch defender and fan of japanese videogames.

#8 Posted by Deathpooky (1373 posts) -

Very awesome.

#9 Posted by cikame (969 posts) -

Alright.

#10 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I guess this is pretty cool, but I don't really care about japanese games. I'll definitely give it a listen though.

#11 Posted by Joeku (113 posts) -

Fantastic fit. Super complimentary to GB.

#12 Posted by Kowalo (90 posts) -

Good stuff.

#13 Posted by Drakoji (220 posts) -

It's good, a lot of people were whining that people on the site didn't knew or had interest in japanese RPG and such.

#14 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

This sounds interesting...

#15 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

I care very little about Japanese games but I listened to their new podcast earlier today and really liked it! They seem cool and this is a good idea, congrats.

#16 Posted by 617_jbug (343 posts) -

I think JJ will be a favorite of the Giant Bomb community.

#17 Posted by ChrisTaran (1564 posts) -

Gaming Jesus!

#18 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

very nice add on to the crew i like the 8-4 guys and hopefully this will add some more coverage of the games the bomb crew don't cover themselves.

#19 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -

I just listened to two of their most recent podcasts. They certainly talk a lot about japanese games but lack in humor department. Quite dry.

#20 Edited by Goldanas (544 posts) -

Ah, I remember the visit.

I understand the reasoning behind this because it seems the major 4 staffers, and even Patrick, don't really care that much for the vast majority of Japanese titles. That's fair, because neither does the majority of America at this point, so much so that most people refer to them as niche.

It's a bit of a bummer, because I would love more Japanese games to be localized over here (Ragnarok Odyssey for the Vita looks balla'), but it's believed that they just don't sell enough. With the licensing fees and any translation costs, along with marketing, manufacturing and distribution, that's all totally true. Even if import houses like XSeed want to bring it over here cheaply by going digital-only, they get such a backlash from fans because the majority of niche Japanese game fanatics love them some big-ass boxes with collectibles. It's a terrible and diabolic balancing act.

Hopefully, the greater exposure will help to serve the niche Japanese game fanatics and expand the market and interest accordingly.

#21 Edited by langdonx (114 posts) -

What month is that on the calendar behind the guy's head on the right??

Edit 1: October 2008?? wtf

Edit 2: Made the assumption that it was a new video!! i'm slow

#22 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

I have no negative views on this whatsoever

#23 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

welcome guys, looking forward to hear from you weekly!

#24 Posted by Shimafran (45 posts) -

It seems like a good fit for the site and I'm looking forward to see where this leads down the road. Thanks, Patrick.

#25 Posted by Einherjan (582 posts) -

GLORIOUS!

#26 Posted by skynidas (39 posts) -

This is great, I always listen to their podcast, it's cool, although it would be cool if it were weekly instead of bi-weekly.

#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

said:

This isn’t the start of some Giant Bomb podcast network, either.

I don't think any of us would be complaining about that, though.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@langdonx said:

Smarch.

#29 Posted by rargy (437 posts) -

Nice!  8-4 is the only other gaming podcast i've considered listening to besides the Bombcast.

#30 Posted by MeatSim (10759 posts) -

Welcome to the mad house 8-4 crew.

#31 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@langdonx said:

Edit: October 2008?? wtf

That was the last time Giant Bomb went to TGS, it shouldn't be that surprising.

#32 Posted by Zaxex (578 posts) -

Cool, I remember liking the 8-4 video a while back and I'm playing a lot of Japanese games lately.

Though Giant Bomb is growing, I'm glad they're making deals with smaller groups whose members seem like cool people. I expect some of us expected less agreeable consequences of the Gamespot acquisition.

#33 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

I don't really like Japanese games, but it seems like the bombcrew don't like them either so it's good to have these new guys on the site.

#34 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (335 posts) -

I've been wanting more Japanese video game stuff covered, and here it is. They sound cool.

#35 Posted by BaconBuTTy (171 posts) -

YOU GUYS THIS IS TERRI- ....

... I can't even be bothered to be sarcastically angst ridden about this.

Welcome 8-4 duders!

#36 Posted by Chris86 (65 posts) -

Japanese games? Don't tell Phil Fish, he'll be furious.

#37 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Change!!!!!

#38 Posted by brodiefett (1 posts) -

Huge fan of Mark's going back to his EGM/1up days, 8-4 podcast is great, been listening from the beginning, like Mayor said, even if you aren't a huge Japanese game fan their pod is still super interesting. fantastic job Trick!

#39 Posted by Skel (23 posts) -
#40 Posted by MiniPato (2719 posts) -

"Dig Deeper into Hiroko Minamoto."

lol

Happy about the partnership though! Now I don't have to go to two different sites and I like the podcast player hear better.

#41 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

Weirdly, I heard of 8-4 for the first time last night! I've been talking to a famous Japanese composer lately for a story, and now Facebook keeps suggesting me Hiroko Minamoto, 8-4's president, since we have like three mutual friends or something! The internet is so weird.

Also: 8-4 is a great name for a company.

Anyways, yeah! I can't wait to check this podcast out!

#42 Posted by FoxMulder (1622 posts) -

OH MY GOD ITS THE END OF GIANT BOMB!!??!!?!?111

Just kidding. Always was interested in Japanese games so this will be a spectacular addition to the site!

#43 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I don't who those guys are, but cool I guess.

#44 Posted by believer258 (11628 posts) -

Well, it was fairly interesting to hear how this goes on.

#45 Posted by NickLott (792 posts) -

Giant Bomb X 8-4 is cool and all but I'm waiting on 8-4 X Giant Bomb

#46 Posted by redrohX (48 posts) -

Cool! Another podcast I have to check! I was just in need of another one (1,5 hours commute every day makes me listen to a lot of podcasts).

#47 Posted by MadLaughter (200 posts) -

This seems like a cool move.  Good luck to all involved.

#48 Posted by PolygonSlayer (419 posts) -

Fantastic news! 8-4 is a great podcast for anyone with a nerd-bone pointed at Japanese stuff :)

#49 Posted by TadThuggish (903 posts) -
@smitty86

I have no negative views on this whatsoever

#50 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

Just as long as nothing is forced on me, GG guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.