Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

8-4, Ltd.

Company »

A game localization and publishing company based in Shibuya that will be forever remembered for its peerless work on Fire Emblem: Awakening, Imagine: Make-up Artist and Petz Hamsterz Bunch. Named after the final level in Super Mario Bros (8-4).

Giant Bomb x 8-4

pmurph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351  Edited By pmurph

I swear i was thinking how cool it would be if giantbomb was the new home when 8-4 announced they would be going somewhere else. This is fantastic because i was worried i might stop listening when it stops showing up on 1up.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352  Edited By Solh0und

I've never listened to any other podcast but GB's but I'm excited to get into another one.

Also.....

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#353  Edited By Sergio

@Duffyside said:

@Sergio said:

It's called professionalism.

No, the professional thing to do would have been "hey guys, we like your podcast and all, and wish you nothing but the best, but it just wouldn't make sense for us to host it on our site."

Objectivity is professionalism.

They might as well not review any games from Harmonix, 38 Studios, Double Fine or any number of studios where they have very good friends. I've yet to see their close friendship with Johny V garner any review scores that were better than they deserved.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354  Edited By MiniPato

@Duffyside said:

@Brendan said:

@Duffyside said:

@Sergio said:

No, the professional thing to do would have been "hey guys, we like your podcast and all, and wish you nothing but the best, but it just wouldn't make sense for us to host it on our site."

If you don't trust the Giantbomb crew's journalistic integrity then you are wasting your time here.

That seems like a really smart way to run a website, especially concerning new users.

"Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm really enjoying the site's sense of humor and content! But, I did have one question; why does Giant Bomb host the 8-4 podcast? Aren't they, like, in the dev-"

"If you don't trust Giant Bomb and everyone who works there then you should just leave right now!"

You are way too fucking paranoid about this shit.

There's a difference between hosting "Building the Bastion" and hosting the 8-4 podcast. The former is a video series documenting the development of a game for promotional purposes. It's all about Bastion. The team has a personal stake and a professional one in it.

The 8-4 podcast is just a podcast that the 8-4 team does on the side to talk about videogames and their opinions, they need a new place to host their podcast is all. It is not an advertisement for the games that they localized, even if they occasionally say "hey check out the game we worked on." And even if GB did review/quick look a game that 8-4 worked on, they'd more likely shit on it for being a bad game and not cause it is localized poorly. And I stress the word "localized." It's not 8-4's own game, it's not their personal videogame concepts being developed like Bastion, so there's no need to tiptoe around when it comes to games they've worked on. 8-4 play podcast is not like the Irrational Games podcast. They rarely talk about their own games or go in depth about their process localizing games. It is essentially the bombcast, except about Japanese games. Giant Bomb dudes would be more uncomfortable criticizing Double Fine games than 8-4 games. And again, the only games that GB has even bothered to cover of 8-4's long gameography is Shadows of the Damned and Monster Hunter Tri. And the reason for that isn't because they are afraid of burning bridges, it's because they generally just don't care for Japanese games.

Stop thinking about how other people will enjoy the site and think about how you will enjoy the site. Do you honestly think this destroys their credibility? Surely you've been on Giant Bomb long enough to trust them. Don't rely on "new member's perspective" to back up your argument. Giant bomb weighed the pros and cons and felt confident that this will only benefit both sides. Don't do their job for them.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#355  Edited By zombie2011

listened to one of their podcasts. It was alright had no humor to it which is what i like when i listen to podcasts but it was still decent.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@Sergio said:

@Duffyside said:

@Sergio said:

Objectivity is professionalism.

They might as well not review any games from Harmonix, 38 Studios, Double Fine or any number of studios where they have very good friends. I've yet to see their close friendship with Johny V garner any review scores that were better than they deserved.

I don't think people actually look at the facts really. Tron was made by probably one of there closest if not most talked about friends and they took a shit all over tron:evolution on the podcasts.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#357  Edited By illegalnull

Looking forward to it!

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#358  Edited By Johnny5

I already like 8-4, so this is cool, not to mention it a new perspective. So are they actually PART of giantbomb now or are they just hosted here or what?

MostlyBearded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359  Edited By MostlyBearded

@Coafi said:

We are turning japanese.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#360  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Sounds neat, this should cover a hole in the coverage.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Johnny5: Not merging, just simply being hosted on the site, and as far as I know, it's just the podcast feed, no collaboration.

ARTB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By ARTB

Awesome my two favorite podcasts in the same place! This is excellent news!

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#363  Edited By BoringK

I wouldn't have a problem with a GB podcast network, as long as it meant the NDX would roll again. CHOO-CHOO

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 28

#364  Edited By fillmoejoe

Sounds great looking forward to future crossovers.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#365  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I listened to the Vita podcast and there's this one dude that just has the mouth of a sailor. Kind of turned me off.

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By On1inepersona

my two favorite video game podcast together? oh what a wonderful day

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#367  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

A game localization company based in Shibuya that will be forever remembered for its peerless work on Imagine: Make-up Artist and Petz Hamsterz Bunch.

OK, which one of you yuckleheads did this? lol
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By teh_destroyer

Those guys seemed pretty cool, thanks for posting Patty.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#369  Edited By artofwar420

Omg I caaant waaaaait.

ShakeItBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By ShakeItBaby

This is the kind of merger I can totally get behind

AlbinoJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By AlbinoJerk

This is a little tangential, but that interview was pretty great.  I was very impressed when Brad made sure to focus a question directly to Hiroko when the other 2 dudes were kinda fielding everything.  After that, she seemed to be a lot more comfortable and vocal.  I always tend to notice those things.  Good job getting all the voices in there, Brad. 

PROFESSIONAL

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#372  Edited By sickVisionz

Good stuff. It always took me an extra click in my podcast reader to download their podcasts, an extra click that isn't necessary with the Bombcast. Hopefully this means their podcasts won't anymore. The ultimate great outcome would be for Mark to move for the Bombcast as 8-4 is always at it's best when he isn't on it imo.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#373  Edited By Willy105

Sounds like a good idea.

More content is always good, and content from an area that Giantbomb doesn't tend to cover much is even better.

Ricansoldier23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By Ricansoldier23

Is it blasphemous that I am stationed in Okinawa, Japan but I have no interest in japanese games. I refuse to pay 300 to 400 Yen for a new PS3 just to play games that I do not understand. Plus the idol dating games such as the AKB48 are just really creepy.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375  Edited By mewarmo990

@Ricansoldier23 said:

Is it blasphemous that I am stationed in Okinawa, Japan but I have no interest in japanese games. I refuse to pay 300 to 400 Yen for a new PS3 just to play games that I do not understand. Plus the idol dating games such as the AKB48 are just really creepy.

I'd say it's more blasphemous that you can get a PS3 for that price and still refuse to buy them!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Branthog

I like 8-4 and listen to it, even though I tend not to play a lot of JRPGs. However, I can only offer a tepid response to this news, because the rest of me is preoccupied with wondering if this is the new direction CBS is going to aim in for GiantBomb. If GiantBomb is going to have 587,000 different things going on -- all of it poorly organized and maintained -- because quantity is more important than quality on some bean-counter's two-year GB business plan. (This isn't something that can be assured by a line at the end of an article or a verbal reassurance on a podcast -- it's an assurance of intention and direction that only the actions and time will show us).

I hope that is absolutely not the case. I hope this is just a really fantastic addition that was done out of the purist of motives and instigated solely by the desire of the GiantBomb editorial staff to include them here. You'll just have to forgive me if the part of me that has been through how consultants and bean-counters and middle-managers futz good things up enough times to raise one highly suspicious eyebrow to any such news.

Don't take my comments as any slight toward the editorial staff either on 8-4 or GB. I like everyone involved and it'd be cool if GiantBomb expanded a little more here and a little more there. I am just concerned whether this is a "business decision" or if this will be part of an attempt by the GB staff to very cautiously and wisely increase their content by the inclusion of more curated content. That's the problem with a lot of other sites. They go the "throw everything at the wall and see what gets hits" route, instead of carefully curating their content so that everything is valuable and everything is interesting.

Oh -- and I can't wait to hear Cheapy D on the next CAGcast whine about how jealous he is. :D

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By Branthog

@ShakeItBaby said:

Not so much a merger as probably a mutual expectation that hosting 8-4 here would get 8-4 a larger audience and, with almost no investment on the part of GS/GB/CBS, give GiantBomb a slightly more expanded offering and breadth of coverage. It's not like we're going to see articles and reviews and editorials popping up here from the 8-4 cast.

Although, that would be kind of cool, if they did. I'm not averse to more Japaense game content. I just know so little about it, being a PC-gamer for almost my entire life to the exclusion of consoles until just the last few years.

As long as this didn't portend some sort of attempt to "cover all bases", which wasn't what we came to GB for in the first place. That is, don't make the next move be homing some dude-bro Madden/Sports game podcast here so CBS can feel GB has "put something out there for the sports audience". Blech.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've never listened to their podcast, but I will give it a shot!

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#379  Edited By mongoose

Anyone else notice Marks T-shirt...

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#380  Edited By jonnyboy

Sure, I'll give it a shot, why not? I don't really care for japanese games at all, but I appreciate a different perspective.

Zoidberg54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By Zoidberg54

This is great. I’ve only starting listening to 8-4 about 3 months ago in a hunt for more video game talk but was suckered into subscribing immediately. Welcome to GiantBomb 8-4 and keep up the fantastic localizations and show.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#382  Edited By evanbower

Excellent! Now I can be in love with Hiroko on my fav website.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#383  Edited By bobafettjm

Nice, now I can get two podcasts I listen to from the same site, yay for making life easier.

Sorla10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By Sorla10

gona have guest appearances on each podcast?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By Winternet

Welcome 8-4 guys. By the way, Anime is for jerks.

DesertDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By DesertDog

@Branthog said:

@ShakeItBaby said:

Not so much a merger as probably a mutual expectation that hosting 8-4 here would get 8-4 a larger audience and, with almost no investment on the part of GS/GB/CBS, give GiantBomb a slightly more expanded offering and breadth of coverage. It's not like we're going to see articles and reviews and editorials popping up here from the 8-4 cast.

Although, that would be kind of cool, if they did. I'm not averse to more Japaense game content. I just know so little about it, being a PC-gamer for almost my entire life to the exclusion of consoles until just the last few years.

As long as this didn't portend some sort of attempt to "cover all bases", which wasn't what we came to GB for in the first place. That is, don't make the next move be homing some dude-bro Madden/Sports game podcast here so CBS can feel GB has "put something out there for the sports audience". Blech.

What makes you think they won't do that next? They will and idiotic defenders like you will continue to think nothing has changed. Just like Jefferson said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." I believe so too should Giantbomb. We should as a community seriously think about kidnapping and seriously mutilating the Giantbomb crew lest they forget that we the people rule.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#387  Edited By Superkenon

@DesertDog said:

@Branthog said:

@ShakeItBaby said:

What makes you think they won't do that next? They will and idiotic defenders like you will continue to think nothing has changed. Just like Jefferson said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." I believe so too should Giantbomb. We should as a community seriously think about kidnapping and seriously mutilating the Giantbomb crew lest they forget that we the people rule.

Never in history has a response been more measured.

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By mortface

@bobafettjm said:

Nice, now I can get two podcasts I listen to from the same site, yay for making life easier.

Psst. RSS feeds will make you so happy.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By Karl_Boss

Clever title.

Aldrenar47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By Aldrenar47

@Superkenon: Video game websites are the most serious of businesses.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By djhicks1

Awesome.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#392  Edited By bobafettjm

@mortface: Well I have a bunch of RRS feeds already, but for some reason I tend to just forget about it, however I come to Giant Bomb multiple times every day.

sage2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By sage2

8-4 play I salute you. Loved the podcast and I'm really exited about them being here.

shtinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#394  Edited By shtinky

I've been an avid 8-4 play listener since the beginning. This is great news, as it means their podcast will now get more exposure and drive them to make better episodes (less episodes without Mark, please!). That said, I'll still be downloading it through their website, as I have been since 2010.

paradigmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395  Edited By paradigmic

I was impressed with their translation of Nier, so I'll be checking out their podcast.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#396  Edited By striderno9

The fact that every new addition to Giantbomb has a disclaimer at the end making sure everyone understands this isn't a world breaking event says tons about the members of this site. Of their passion and their hatred to all things outside the bubble.

I've never listened to the 8-4 Podcast but listening to it today and I like what I hear. I'm glad I've been exposed to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.