Sequel to 999, Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die

• 57 results
#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#2 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

I still need to play this game. It's sitting in my DS right now collecting dust. Does the story get better or is it pretty much slow the whole time?

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Getz said:

I still need to play this game. It's sitting in my DS right now collecting dust. Does the story get better or is it pretty much slow the whole time?

Let's put it this way.

Play it or I will find out where you live and burn your house down.
#4 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1581 posts) -

@Getz said:

Does the story get better or is it pretty much slow the whole time?

Ha! "Does the story get better?" AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yes.

#5 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: Well, that trailer just sold me on 999. Thanks for posting.
#6 Posted by fazzle (296 posts) -

On one hand: yay! Can't wait to play the sequel!

On the other hand: FUUUUUUUUCK, this means I have to buy a 3DS or Vita

#7 Posted by kuz101 (209 posts) -

999 was on sale for $20 yesterday.

I didn't buy it.

#8 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

999 is one of my favorite DS games so this is amazing news!

#9 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Getz said:

Let's put it this way. Play it or I will find out where you live and burn your house down.

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@Getz said:

Does the story get better or is it pretty much slow the whole time?

Ha! "Does the story get better?" AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yes.

Alright, I guess Final Fantasy III can wait. God, I am easily swayed.

#10 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

This is awesome news! I just recently played 999 and it's the best game I've played so far this year.

Problem is, I've heard 999 didn't sell particularly well in North America (I doubt many copies were released, it was hard for me to find one), so I'm wondering whether or not the sequel will come out in other territories aside from Japan :/

I'm hoping that that's not the case and it gets released here.

#11 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Cathryn said:

This is awesome news! I just recently played 999 and it's the best game I've played so far this year.

Problem is, I've heard 999 didn't sell particularly well in North America (I doubt many copies were released, it was hard for me to find one), so I'm wondering whether or not the sequel will come out in other territories aside from Japan :/

I'm hoping that that's not the case and it gets released here.

I was under the impression it did extremely well for what it was, didn't they have to run a second printing?
#12 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

damn, coming to both? has anything been said if Vita's going to be able to play PSP games?

#13 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Laketown said:

damn, coming to both? has anything been said if Vita's going to be able to play PSP games?

I believe it will transfer over all PSN purchases, but the Vita has no physical media input so it won't be able to play UMD.
#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

FUCK YES. I had heard about this yesterday, but I wasn't sure it was going to be an actual sequel. This is great. 

Also, the main female lead looks a lot like Santa. Heh.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Laketown said:

I believe it will transfer over all PSN purchases, but the Vita has no physical media input so it won't be able to play UMD.

damn guessing I'm getting a Vita unless that P4 thing will be on the 3ds :(

#16 Posted by TwoLines (2785 posts) -

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees. YES.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD CARE ABOUT THIS. 

Dammit, it's because of you jerks that AAI2 is in production limbo right now.

#18 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1581 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD CARE ABOUT THIS. Dammit, it's because of you jerks that AAI2 is in production limbo right now.

Argh, don't remind me.

#19 Posted by Pepsiman (2458 posts) -

I put up an official thread for it since this game has an actual forum now, but just so you all know, I translated the trailer into English. There's some interesting stuff strewn in there if you care to dissect it!

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@Pepsiman: I thought the trailer in the OP was already translated?
#21 Edited by Pepsiman (2458 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: HA, this is what I get for not paying attention. That being said, having (finally) watched the OP version myself, I will say that he and I have some differences in our translations. Nothing too substantial for the most part, although there is a sentence in the beginning that I know he outright got wrong. (I know why he would think the way that he did and it's not a mistake you'd otherwise notice unless you spoke the language, though.) So... take my interpretation for what it is, I guess. I'll just go sit in a corner and feel ashamed for not doing my homework on this one.

#22 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

I feel like I am one of the few who didn't really enjoy 999. Maybe it was because Ever 17 did everything 999 did but better. Still, I'll give this a shot.

#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@Pepsiman: It's fine, more than one interpretation is always nice. That difference you mentioned is somewhat significant, as the comment of "They should all die" in the OP's video made me think of the antagonist's motivation akin to Death Note's protagonist, which changes when I read how you translated it.
#24 Posted by Pepsiman (2458 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ:To his credit, he made me realize I had a translation error of my own. So now being the OCD person that I (occasionally) am, I now feel the need to right this wrong and reupload the proper text. It's a learning experience for everyone!

#25 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

That trailer is badass. I wasn't planning on getting a 3DS but I have to now.

#26 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Loooking forward to this. 999 really surprised me.

@VelvetLore04 said:

Maybe it was because Ever 17 did everything 999 did but better.

Never played Ever17, but this is objectively incorrect, because there's one aspect in which I can safely say 999 is superior. Art.

Ever17 is atrocious, 999's art at least has an identity.
#27 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Loooking forward to this. 999 really surprised me.

@VelvetLore04 said:

Maybe it was because Ever 17 did everything 999 did but better.

Never played Ever17, but this is objectively incorrect, because there's one aspect in which I can safely say 999 is superior. Art. Ever17 is atrocious, 999's art at least has an identity.

Ever17 has an identity too. And the story beats of 999 seem so clearly inspired by Ever17, right down to over-explaining scientific concepts because it will play into the plot and characters potentially getting killed. Also, Ever17's twist is far superior and better handled than 999's. Just saying.

#28 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:

Ever17 has an identity too. .

Not in the art department. Very uninspired.
#29 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

It looked like an anime, like every single visual novel ever made. You want to talk uninspired, you play Critical Point.

#30 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:

@mutha3 said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

It looked like an anime,

Not an anime with a unique or appealing art style, though. Token ridiculous boobgirl and stupid fetish girl aside, the character design in 999 is decent enough. Every character has a design which fit their respective trope perfectly fine and their all appropriately stylish without being too over-the-top.

Also, unlike.....whatever hack worked on Ever17, Nishimura's art has a unique aesthetic edge to it. He isn't a super talented artist or anything, but he's decent enough.

like every single visual novel ever made.

Yeah, I know. Which is why I tend to stay clear from visual novels. 999 surprised me, though.
#31 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

@mutha3 said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

It looked like an anime,

Not an anime with a unique or appealing art style, though. Token ridiculous boobgirl and stupid fetish girl aside, the character design in 999 is decent enough. Every character has a design which fit their respective trope perfectly fine and their all appropriately stylish without being too over-the-top.

Also, unlike.....whatever hack worked on Ever17, Nishimura's art has a unique aesthetic edge to it. He isn't a super talented artist or anything, but he's decent enough.

like every single visual novel ever made.

Yeah, I know. Which is why I tend to stay clear from visual novels. 999 surprised me, though.

...Every character in Ever17 has a design that fits their trope, too. And not a single one is over the top. The college kid? Dude looks like a college kid. The hyper little girl? Looks and dresses like a hyper little girl would. Ever17 also doesn't have Lotus (or any token boob girl or fetish girl) and Clover may as well just be Coco anyway. The best argument against Ever 17's character art is that they all have pointy chins...oh but so did 999's cast. The uniqueness in 999 did not come from the way characters looked.

#32 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@mutha3: @VelvetLore04: all this arguing just makes me want to get my hands on Ever17, thanks guiz
#33 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Nonary me up. 

#34 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@Catolf said:

@mutha3: @VelvetLore04: all this arguing just makes me want to get my hands on Ever17, thanks guiz

My work here is done

#35 Edited by Qkey (7 posts) -

Ok, no. This game has no right to be on anything stronger than a GBA. As much as I loved the first game, I am not going to buy a whole new console just to play its younger sibling. I'll limit myself to downloading the OST. What a shame.

#36 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:

...Every character in Ever17 has a design that fits their trope, too.

Yeah,  but  that's only half of the character design conundrum. 99% of anime manages to crap out character that fit their tropes because anime tends to have a collection of 6 or so characters reused over and over again.

They fall short at the "appropriately stylish without being too over-the-top"  part, or described otherwise: "Are the designs memorable or interesting?" ....

Pictured: every personality less anime protagonist ever.(Whether either are the protagonist is entirely besides the point, mind you)

The best argument against Ever 17's character art is that they all have pointy chins...

And the exact same faces(except when there's a variation in the age: the lines around the head are either drawn rounder when they're younger or closer to each other when they're older-- that is literally the only way to tell character faces apart). Nonexistant shading. Terrible, terrible proportions in both face and bodies: eyes that look like car headlamps, bodies that don't look like they could be supported by the bottom part

Cookie-cutter anime all-around.

As for the Clover and Coco comparison:
Clover has a short, pudgy face compared to the rest of the cast, slightly larger eyes,emphasized lips and additionally three glossy stars on her cheek(technically, this is accessorizing, but it does make her immediately recognizable). Even if you remove the rag of hair on her head and her eye color, she'd still be immediately distinguishable from the rest of the cast in both age group and gender. The only way the characters in Ever17 are defined is by their eye color or hair color....I guess the artist also defines age by how sharp the triangles which he calls "faces" are. But man, looking through the art gallery of Ever17.....I would literally be unable to distinguish any of these characters without their hair and eye color. None of them. Christ.

The uniqueness in 999 did not come from the way characters looked.

Nope. 999 has much stronger art than Ever17 from both my personal perspective, and the technical perspective you can judge drawn art on. Sorry.
#37 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

...Every character in Ever17 has a design that fits their trope, too.

Yeah, but that's only half of the character design conundrum. 99% of anime manages to crap out character that fit their tropes because anime tends to have a collection of 6 or so characters reused over and over again.

They fall short at the "appropriately stylish without being too over-the-top" part, or described otherwise: "Are the designs memorable or interesting?" ....

Pictured: every personality less anime protagonist ever.(Whether either are the protagonist is entirely besides the point, mind you)

The best argument against Ever 17's character art is that they all have pointy chins...

And the exact same faces(except when there's a variation in the age: the lines around the head are either drawn rounder when they're younger or closer to each other when they're older-- that is literally the only way to tell character faces apart). Nonexistant shading. Terrible, terrible proportions in both face and bodies: eyes that look like car headlamps, bodies that don't look like they could be supported by the bottom part

Cookie-cutter anime all-around.

As for the Clover and Coco comparison:
Clover has a short, pudgy face compared to the rest of the cast, slightly larger eyes,emphasized lips and additionally three glossy stars on her cheek(technically, this is accessorizing, but it does make her immediately recognizable). Even if you remove the rag of hair on her head and her eye color, she'd still be immediately distinguishable from the rest of the cast in both age group and gender. The only way the characters in Ever17 are defined is by their eye color or hair color....I guess the artist also defines age by how sharp the triangles which he calls "faces" are. But man, looking through the art gallery of Ever17.....I would literally be unable to distinguish any of these characters without their hair and eye color. None of them. Christ.

The uniqueness in 999 did not come from the way characters looked.

Nope. 999 has much stronger art than Ever17 from both my personal perspective, and the technical perspective you can judge drawn art on. Sorry.

Maybe you shouldn't talk about how characters are defined in Ever17 when you haven't even played the thing. I wasn't comparing Clover and Coco in terms of looks, though they do share the same hair color because anime, I was talking in terms of personality and behavior. You point out the attire of Takashi and Kid, yet the protagonist of 999 isn't exactly setting a shining example of what a protagonist should wear. It's far from his defining characteristic. "He wears a hoodie" Characters should not be define by how they look, if that is what people are defining characters by that means it is a shit character.

You seem to think that personality should be brought out in how a character looks, considering your caption of 'personality-less' which is a ridiculous thing to think. Those two characters have more personality than the cast of 999, by the way. Your last sentence also has nothing to do with what I was saying. If you asked someone what made 999 so unique or interesting, it wouldn't be 'character design' because in the grand scheme of things the character design in 999 wasn't anything super unique anyway.

Complain about the art or the inaccurate claim about the body structure, it still doesn't change the fact that 999 is just a poor man's Ever 17 when it comes down to brass tacks.

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

I've been interested in Ever17 when I heard it was like 999 a few months ago, but I dismissed it thinking it had hentai or something like that in it because its art is typical anime crap. I may have to look back into playing it.

#39 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@VelvetLore04
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure I was arguing art direction here. Like, exclusively. I haven't played Ever17 so I have no opinion about its writing either way. My claim about body structure isn't inaccurate by the way. The noodly legs of the character on the left that stick out of his nonexistent hip area 100% is anything but natural.

Poor proportions are not a big deal when its a stylistic choice, but generic ass anime is not a stylistic choice, its just a lack of creativity.
#40 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I've been interested in Ever17 when I heard it was like 999 a few months ago, but I dismissed it thinking it had hentai or something like that in it because its art is typical anime crap. I may have to look back into playing it.

There is no hentai at all in Ever17. Most visual novels have that typical anime crap to them. One of the most famous ones is the worst looking anime you could possibly imagine but it's still good.

@mutha3 said:

@VelvetLore04: Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure I was arguing art direction here. Like, exclusively. I haven't played Ever17 so I have no opinion about its writing either way. My claim about body structure isn't inaccurate by the way. The noodly legs of the character on the left that stick out of his nonexistent hip area 100% is anything but natural. Poor proportions are not a big deal when its a stylistic choice, but generic ass anime is not a stylistic choice, its just a lack of creativity.

Speaking of proportions, you are blowing the art of Ever 17 way out of it and praising the art in 999 too highly. 999 was generic ass anime as well. Generic ass anime is one of the characteristics of the genre. Looking for natural traits in anime is like looking for realistic qualities in video games and Ever 17's characters do in fact have hips and body frames that match with and support their individual shape and curvature, but it certainly isn't going to be mistaken for how actual humans look but neither will the cast of 999 or any other anime or visual novel.

#41 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:

Speaking of proportions, you are blowing the art of Ever 17 way out of it and praising the art in 999 too highly. 999 was generic ass anime as well. Generic ass anime is one of the characteristics of the genre.

Nope, Nishimura properly shades his character(which gives the faces depth), their proportions are consistent enough to be the same human species and he's able to draw distinguishable characters(lol ever17).

Ever17 drastically fails on all three of those points.

Ever 17's characters do in fact have hips and body frames that match with and support their individual shape and curvature,

Nonsense, the character I just posted is a walking torso with a head on it.

but it certainly isn't going to be mistaken for how actual humans look but neither will the cast of 999 or any other anime or visual novel.

That sure as hell isn't my point! Otherwise I would hate amano, who is MUCH better than either of the artists we're discussing. 

Unusual and unrealistic proportions are allowed for stylistic purposes....not when your art is cookie-cutter and generic. Its like berating someone for saying Rob Liefeld draws anatomical abominations.
#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

There is no hentai at all in Ever17. Most visual novels have that typical anime crap to them. One of the most famous ones is the worst looking anime you could possibly imagine but it's still good.

999 doesn't look like that, which is what I had compared the art to when people were making comparisons between both games. Phoenix Wright, with ridiculous and caricatured characters, doesn't even look like that. Yet, Ever17's art really does look like generic anime, which is something I absolutely can't attribute to the way 999's art is.
#43 Posted by Soren (291 posts) -
@mutha3: This must be that anime prosopagnosia thing you mentioned before. 

...I probably shouldn't be adding to this thread derailment.
#44 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

So does this mean that the next game in the series will be a nonary game with new characters? Count me in. If they think through the story as well as they did last time it will be excellent.

#45 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Soren said:
@mutha3:  ...I probably shouldn't be adding to this thread derailment.
That is a good attitude to have when posting and one I should probably be adopting more often.
#46 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Yeas thiand ghost. Trick we're sleepers this year. Can't wait for more awesome

#47 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:
Yeas thiand ghost. Trick we're sleepers this year. Can't wait for more awesome
999 didn't come out this year, though...
#48 Posted by Naudriel (7 posts) -

Long awaited continuation. This is gonna be freakin awesome.

#49 Posted by el_tajij (705 posts) -

OhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGodOhMyGod!

I can't wait!

#50 Posted by AndrewB (7439 posts) -

Well fuck.

I didn't want to buy a Vita or a 3DS.

Now I have to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.