Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

Decide the fate of the 9 kidnapped people who are trapped on a ship and forced to play the Nonary Game, where players put their life on the line.

Started Playing 999

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Mars_Cleric

So I finally found a copy and started playing 999.

I was interested after hearing Patrick talking about it on the Bombcast so I decided to give it a go. I've only played the intro room and I thought I might give my initial impressions.

The intro is like trying to run in a pool of molasses. It is frustratingly slow.

I understand wanting to make sure the player knows how to control the game but, for crying out loud, why does it take so damn long to tell me "press x for this, and press y for this". I know it sounds like I'm being petty but I felt like screaming "I know how to play games, just let me play the game, I want to play but you won't let me, just let me tap the briefcase already, I know how to put codes in you don't have to tell me again I literally just did it on the blue one".

I know it's just the tutorial and the rest of the game won't be like this but it was really frustrating and I just had to vent for a bit.

That being said, I am going to keep playing and finish it. Mostly because I have heard good things about it.

However, I am hoping the rest of the game moves a little bit faster...

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By killacam

Actually.. the rest of the game is like that. And in order to see the whole story you'll likely need to to play through at least 3 times. So...

It's entirely worth it, though.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killacam said:

Actually.. the rest of the game is like that. And in order to see the whole story you'll likely need to to play through at least 3 times. So...

It's entirely worth it, though.

well...

poop

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By tread311

It's super annoying I agree. I almost stopped playing because of the damn instruction prompts before every puzzle. But as everyone else will say, stick with it man. The payoff at the end of the game is really great.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By phantomzxro

Well the instructions part maybe heavy handed but the game is part novel too, so you will be doing a lot of reading so i did not find it an issue. If you don't care for the slow part then you may not like the rest of the game because its a pretty even split of 50% novel (reading) and 50% puzzle rooms.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

Write a blog when you've finished playing 999. Seriously, when people talk about how great it is, they're not referring to the intro. Trust me.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The ending really falls together amazingly and is the most frustrating and unsatisfying piece of shit I've seen.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I don't mind the reading part, one of my favourite games is Hotel Dusk, it was more the part where I knew what I had to do but it spent way too much time trying to tell me.

I'm definitely going to keep at it and will probably write one or two more blogs on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.