Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

Decide the fate of the 9 kidnapped people who are trapped on a ship and forced to play the Nonary Game, where players put their life on the line.

Why I love 999.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

999 really surprised me. I didn't think it'd be bad or anything. I heard enough good things about that made me believe that I would at least enjoy it. I didn't expect it to consume my life for the last couple of days. I've been thinking about the plot, the characters, and a lot more from this strange Chunsoft joint. What I love about 999 is the plot and the scenario that all of these characters are in. I have some strange love with stories that revolve around different characters that have to work together in order to survive. This is what initially intrigued me about this Nintendo DS visual novel puzzle game. I soon feel in love with most of the characters in the game. After my first bad ending which ended with a bad ending(axe), i just had to keep playing. Everything changed for me during the true ending. Everything was revealed which flipped my world upside down including my 3DS. I won't spoil what happens here, but it is one of the most memorable gaming experiences that I've had in a long time. It's all thanks to for giving me the final push into playing this game. So I'm here to thank folks for talking about this game for so long. I truly do feel guilty for not playing this game sooner. I would've certainly talked about it to death like I am right now.

My obsession will soon die down as I'm awaiting the arrival of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward from Amazon. My life will probably be consumed once again and i'm all for it. I can't honestly wait for me to explore the Zero Escape universe once again. I'm hoping that many of the plot threads that were left unfinished in 999 are explored in VLR. I know that i'm 3 years late with this blog and I apologize for my negligence. I won't be as late this time with VLR. So hopefully the video and this blog have piqued your interest in playing 999. Give it a shot as it may surprise you. Be patient while playing 999 as the best is yet to come with that game. I'm sure you'll find it to be interesting at least. If you want to see more of my thoughts on 999 be sure to watch the video above. It's mostly me talking about my experience with 999 with my dumb face. You can get 999 on the DS and you can play it on the 3DS like I did. Be sure to try it out.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jimi

I had a bad experience with the game my first time through, I was really into it but I wound up getting the axe ending I think, either that or the knife. I felt completely ripped off that the game ended so suddenly and I would have to retread old ground.

I picked it back up a week or two later cause I read about everyone going ape-shit about the true ending and it was completely worth it. One of the best stories that has been told this generation in gaming.

Moral of the story: If you're reading this and thinking about giving it a go please commit to getting the true ending, it really is worth it.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ducksworth

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I also ordered a copy recently that showed up Friday, I haven't opened it up yet because I'm saving it for my commute and I can't wait to see what all the ruckus is about.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

just recommended me this, too.

Intrigued. Very intrigued.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Phatmac

Glad you guys are giving it a shot. If you want to see what the fuse is about be sure to commit to the true ending.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

999 is pretty damn good. I'm playing through VLR right now, it it's been great so far. I did the first 5 puzzles myself, then got frustrated with something stupid and decided to use a FAQ. The stories with these games are where it's at, the puzzles are fine, but I'd rather just see what happens next.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Phatmac
    @TooWalrus

999 is pretty damn good. I'm playing through VLR right now, it it's been great so far. I did the first 5 puzzles myself, then got frustrated with something stupid and decided to use a FAQ. The stories with these games are where it's at, the puzzles are fine, but I'd rather just see what happens next.

Agreed. I'm hoping the puzzles are better in VLR.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I actually love that I got a bad ending (knife) the first time around. It was so completely shocking, I still remembered how stunned I was, haha. It pushed me further to clear up the rest of the story and find out just what the fuck was actually going on.

I think the best part of the Zero Escape games is how the events from all the different story-lines need to be tied in together to explain the big mysteries. It's a really unique form of storytelling.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phatmac
    @FancySoapsMan

I actually love that I got a bad ending (knife) the first time around. It was so completely shocking, I still remembered how stunned I was, haha. It pushed me further to clear up the rest of the story and find out just what the fuck was actually going on.

I think the best part of the Zero Escape games is how the events from all the different story-lines need to be tied in together to explain the big mysteries. It's a really unique form of storytelling.

Those bad endings are really fucked up.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

To get the true ending the first time through you pretty much have to use a walkthrough, no? Or is it kinda obvious which are the "right" choices?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phatmac
    @OllyOxenFree

To get the true ending the first time through you pretty much have to use a walkthrough, no? Or is it kinda obvious which are the "right" choices?

I used a FAQ just incase. You should use one.
    linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By linkster7

@OllyOxenFree said:

You have to play through it at least once to get the true ending the next time. And no the right paths are anything but obvious, so the best thing to to is play through it without a guide the first two or three times and then coming back with a guide.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

@Phatmac said:

@TooWalrus

Agreed. I'm hoping the puzzles are better in VLR.

I'd say they're better. I'm about 15 hours into it, and so far there haven't been any puzzles that left me thinking "This would have taken me FOREVER to figure this out without a FAQ." I'll say that I felt pretty fuckin' smart figuring out the puzzles by myself, but I just don't have time for that.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phatmac
    @TooWalrus Cool. I'm jazzed to be able to VLR real soon.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Phatmac

@GetEveryone said:

just recommended me this, too.

Intrigued. Very intrigued.

You should play it!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

@Phatmac said:

@TooWalrus Cool. I'm jazzed to be able to VLR real soon.

just a random tip, remember not to save during puzzle section on the 3DS, because apparently it can corrupt your save.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By InfiniteGeass

999's crazy plot is nothing compared to VLR's crazy twists IMO. Both are fantastic games.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By killacam

i also just finished this, last week. sounds like we had similar experiences; all i did that week was live and breathe that game, and i really missed that world and its characters once it was over. taking a little break now before starting vlr.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By amlabella

Looks like we're in the same boat. Couldn't stop playing it these past few days and I ended up getting the true ending earlier today. Lots of noticeable flaws that can make playing through the game multiple times a chore, but the story is so damn good. Loved getting the bad endings first because it just built up the anticipation for the true ending even more.

Ordered VLR right after beating it. Really looking forward to that, especially after hearing about some of the improvements Patrick mentioned in the 999 Spoilercast.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Phatmac

@amlabella said:

Looks like we're in the same boat. Couldn't stop playing it these past few days and I ended up getting the true ending earlier today. Lots of noticeable flaws that can make playing through the game multiple times a chore, but the story is so damn good. Loved getting the bad endings first because it just built up the anticipation for the true ending even more.

Ordered VLR right after beating it. Really looking forward to that, especially after hearing about some of the improvements Patrick mentioned in the 999 Spoilercast.

Yeah, that's been me for these past couple of days.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

SEEK A WAY OUT!

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through it several times without a guide, trying to figure out how to get the true ending. I finally just gave up and looked up a guide, and then waited a few months to come back and beat it.

It was an interesting game, but I am NEVER playing anything like this again without a guide, losing and getting the same bad ending that explains nothing over and over just isn't fun at all. If you could skip the damn puzzles it wouldn't be that bad - I think I have the first puzzle completely memorized at this point. The ending was worth it though, I kind of figured something was going on, since you could 'start with memories', but that caught me off guard.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#23  Edited By psykhophear

I'm currently playing Virtue's Last Reward and originally, I was turned off by its game design. The dialogue put me to sleep and the flow of the game was too slow for me. However, I've gotten over it and have learned to appreciate it. I look forward in playing 999 once I'm done with VLR.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Finished 999 last week, and went to find a copy of VLR for the Vita the next day. 999 is the best story in a video game since.. well.. I'm havimg a hard time thinking of a better one. Blew my mind.

About 15 hours into VLR now, and the intrigue and connections to 999 are slowly trickling in. No idea how it's all going to wrap up yet, but I absolutely can't stop playing. A shame I didn't finish it before the year ended, considering it'll probably end up being one of my 10 favorite games from 2012.

I wonder if this surge of popularity has any effect on 999's sales. As far as I know, it didn't do bad for a VN/puzzle game, but there's been so much buzz lately it almost feels like a second life. Hell, I'm European and imported the game from the U.S.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phatmac
    @Psykhophear that's really weird. I can't imagine playing VLR first over 999.
    Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Joeyoe31

@TooWalrus said:

SEEK A WAY OUT!

YOU FOUND IT!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Phatmac

@Joeyoe31 said:

@TooWalrus said:

SEEK A WAY OUT!

YOU FOUND IT!

*music cues*

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OllyOxenFree

OK I'm about to try it out using this spoiler-free walkthrough:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61405

Let's see how it goes...

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#29  Edited By psykhophear

@Phatmac said:

Haha! That's what I taught too. I didn't know VLR was a sequel of an already existing game so it caught me by surprise as well.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Phatmac

@OllyOxenFree said:

OK I'm about to try it out using this spoiler-free walkthrough:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/61405

Let's see how it goes…

Good luck! :)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Phatmac

@Psykhophear said:

@Phatmac said:

Haha! That's what I taught too. I didn't know VLR was a sequel of an already existing game so it caught me by surprise as well.

That's nuts :o

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OllyOxenFree

OK just finished with the true ending and all I have to say is: WHAT. I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Phatmac
    @OllyOxenFree

OK just finished with the true ending and all I have to say is: WHAT. I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Welcome to da club! :D Now move on to VLR!!
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By rentfn

Nice read!!! I love reading and I love games. I am going to check this game out. Thanks a lot!!!.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ducksworth

This game is really interesting, I actually JUST finished my very first play through and got the knife ending. I found the game so interesting that I'm probably going to go back and start my second playthrough as soon as I'm done with this post. There are still so many questions I have about stuff that happened but in spirit of keeping this thread spoiler free I'm going to leave them out. Specifically, there were a lot of cryptic and seemingly random observations made by certain characters that I want to see explained. Back to the game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.