Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

A Boy and His Blob

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

A Boy and His Blob, a two-dimensional puzzle-platformer has been referred to as "inspired by" and a "rebirth" of the now twenty-year-old original rather than a straightforward remake.

A Boy And His Blob GT Review - 8.5

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Good news. Way Forward rocks. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Good on them. And us :-)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I really like the look of the art style on this.  Very impressive.  However, it isn't the type of game that would jump near the top of my list.  It is certainly on my buy list, but a fair way down.  I hope it sells well enough to encourage more games from them, but many Wii owners wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the arse.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Griddler

Not my kind of game, looks like they did a good job though. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne

I got A Boy And His Blob today, together with Dead Space: Extraction. 

And that is why...
     And that is why...

...I am glad to own a Wii.
     ...I am glad to own a Wii.

And holy mother of blob, this game is as adorable as it is awesome as it is hardcore. Seriously, how great is the current-gen renaissance of hand-drawn 2D animation? There is no menu or tutorial in ABAHB, nor any kind of on-screen display. The game just has you take control over the fluidly animated boy and has you explore the gameplay and blob/jellybean mechanics. The game starts off with a night level, its just awe inspiring. And dear god is that blob adorable. 

After the first level you wake up in your bed and wonder whether it was all a dream, until you realize that the pillow the boy was sleeping on is actually Blob. Those are the little things! Ah, if only the storytelling was as well done as the rest - World of Goo and Braid showed that this is what really sets your game apart, and A Boy And His Blob could have used someone to write and execute a compelling setting the levels take place in. But oh well. The hand drawn and animated backgrounds and characters do make up for it.

But that game is hard. You will die a lot. Checkpoints are frequent and merciful, but I was surprised at how little this game takes you by the hand. I like it. It is quite retro in its setting and execution, but controls and looks as current-gen as you can get. I wish Nintendo would put out demos, I urge everyone to try this game out, hopefully it will sell a satisfactory number of copies. It is a really, really good puzzle platformer that is made great by its presentation.
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

Somebody hurry up and make a .gif of that hug animation!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.