Abobo's Big Adventure

#1 Edited by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

So Abobo's Big Adventure has finally been released, after MANY years in development. What is your opinion of it and/or where are you stuck.

Personally I think it's pretty awesome. The level of detail and rampant NES fan service show a lot of love went in to it.

(and I'm stuck at the Megaman stage.)

#2 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

Completed it about 10-15 minutes ago, this is undoubtedly the best indie game I've ever played, the best free, browser based game I've ever played and the best game released yet this year. Sure, we're only 15 days in but don't let that turn you off, this game has so much heart and soul put into it it's unbelievable. If you grew up with the Nintendo Entertainment System and the games on it, or just really like playing indie games, you should be checking this out immediately. I would advise playing it on Newgrounds, because if you have a sign in, you can keep track of the medals you've won on the game through the same page. Incredible game, really is.

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3770 posts) -

I couldn't possibly love this more. When I have a son I'm gonna name him Aboboy.

#4 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

The ending is so great. Extremely fun game.

#5 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (720 posts) -

I never had an NES, so I'm not as psyched by the fanservice. It seems competent enough, and has decent music, and I like the fact that Abobo is bigger than everyone else, but I didn't really enjoy playing it. Beating the shit out of Donkey Kong was pretty funny though.

I may give it another try later. There's no jump button, right? And are the only rage attacks ones you can do while running?

#6 Posted by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

The game itself isn't really spectacular. It's a fun throwback to all those nes games..but those games weren't very fun. I had fun playing it purely because it was a throwback and I wanted to see what was next. I did enjoy the punch-out stage though, because I love punch-out. But the Balloon Fight, Wrestling, and Water Levels I didn't find fun at all. Yeah, it's nice, it's interesting, I'm glad I beat it, but I didn't love it.

#7 Edited by XanderCrews (105 posts) -

@ViciousAnchovy: No jump button. You have to build up your rage to activate the real rage moves.

#8 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

@XanderCrews said:

@ViciousAnchovy: No jump button. You have to build up your rage to activate the real rage moves.

There is a jump button in the megaman level and in the contra level.

#9 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (412 posts) -

@JonathanAshleyMoore said:

Completed it about 10-15 minutes ago, this is undoubtedly the best indie game I've ever played, the best free, browser based game I've ever played and the best game released yet this year. Sure, we're only 15 days in but don't let that turn you off, this game has so much heart and soul put into it it's unbelievable. If you grew up with the Nintendo Entertainment System and the games on it, or just really like playing indie games, you should be checking this out immediately. I would advise playing it on Newgrounds, because if you have a sign in, you can keep track of the medals you've won on the game through the same page. Incredible game, really is.

It's a mash-up of other games that has nothing unique to bring to the table-- there is literally zero soul in this.

It's fun, but you're going a little nuts. There's also about a billion of these nostalgia games.

#10 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

It's a mash-up of other games that has nothing unique to bring to the table-- there is literally zero soul in this.

It's fun, but you're going a little nuts. There's also about a billion of these nostalgia games.

I never said it was unique and agree, obviously it's not going to win awards for most original game simply because it is like, six or so games remade into one with an underlying storyline. But I think the humor is so 90's great and the gameplay is absolutely fantastic and loyal to the games it's emulating. Also, you're right, there are a lot of fanservice nostalgia games, but I don't know many of them that are this long, have medals that I continue to try and get, etc. Also, no heart? you honest felt no heart go into this game? did you play it all the way through?

Should point out, that may have sounded angry, it wasn't supposed to, I just like discussing the game with people. Have a good one buddy.

#11 Posted by fieldafar (24 posts) -

I thought it was good fun, even though I was born too late to get into the NES.

#12 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

While I wouldn't say it was the best indie game I've ever played, or that it was incredibly unique or original, I will say I had more fun playing this tiny, unoriginal throwback indie game than every indie game I played last year, and that includes: Frozen Synapse, Bastion, To the Moon, Binding of Isaac and Atom Zombie Smasher.

So what if it has no "soul" in it, or if it's not unique. Indie games don't have to be a art history major designed, high concept, watershed moment in gaming in order to be effective. Abobo's Big Adventure is a success because it is not only nostalgic, put pretty damn clever and fun. If you think it needs to be unique in order to be better than something else just because it's an indie title, get off your fucking faux-art critic chair, man.

#13 Posted by Brackynews (4039 posts) -

After some thought, discussion and reasoning, I've started a game page for it here. Feel free to help flesh it out!

#14 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Brilliant game, finished it the other day.

Has anyone donated and tried the Aboboy game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.