Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Abraham Lincoln

Character » appears in 52 games

Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States. He served during the Civil War, and is recognized as one of the most important figures in American history.

American History: Abe Lincoln, Worst President Ever (Part 1)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

Breaking away today from gaming news, something a tad more important for those who may be still under the false illusion that the 16th President of the United States of America was anything but a tyrant. If anything, we should have tracked down John Wilkes Booth and rewarded him with a *medal* Thanks to  FancySoapsMan.

I'm dead serious.

What have you heard about Lincoln? He stopped slavery. He saved the Union. He was shot while watching a play. And probably you've heard this in church: was a great Christian leader. Time to dig in here, shall we?

Slavery: Abe Lincoln could have cared less about slavery (to an extent). Repeated time and time again, he wanted to save the Union rather than help blacks get out of a sticky situation. "But Bessen, he gave a political speech saying he thought slavery was evil!". True, but Clinton gave a speech to the American people that he didn't know what the word "is" meant. Bush Sr. gave a speech saying that he would "not raise taxes". Obama said he would bring "unity" to the two parties. It's a political speech. OnAugust 22, 1862, Lincoln said these words:

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

What did Lincoln think of black people? He didn't think too much of them. We'll get deeper into this in a moment. First, let's hear what this idiot had to say regarding this race he cared to "save":

"I am not now, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social or political equality of the white and black races. I am not now nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarriages with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and the black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on social or political equality. There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I am in favor of assigning the superior position to the white man." -1858

"I thought that in your struggle for the Union, to whatever extent the negroes should cease helping the enemy, to that extent it weakened the enemy in his resistance to you. Do you think differently? I thought that whatever negroes can be got to do as soldiers, leaves just so much less for white soldiers to do, in saving the Union. Does it appear otherwise to you? But negroes, like other people, act upon motives. Why should they do any thing for us, if we will do nothing for them?" -August 26, 1863

I don't know if you understand the last statement. That's what we consider "cannon fodder". In other words, let's make blacks think they're getting something when actually we're using them to protect whites against attacks. Strong words.

I know this may be shocking but there were black Confederate soldiers who joined to protect their businesses. Wait, what? Obviously they'd join the northern states in the fight to free the slaves, right? Wrong. It was illegal for blacks to own businesses in the north in almost all states. It was not illegal in the south. Black women actually owned businesses in the south such as in Louisiana. By Lincoln coming in to shake things up, he put some of these businesses out of order through murder.

Back to Lincoln, and one of the most shocking revelations to his racist behavior is his vision to ship all of the blacks out of America. You know, that saying "Ship 'em back to Africa!". That was a common northern idea and Lincoln very much supported this idea. Take for example his meeting with five black men (includingFrederick Douglass) in Washington D.C. onAugust 14, 1862. Lincoln suggested for them to move to Liberia. Not shocking, giving his state of Illinois refused to allow freed blacks into their state. Luckily, there was a reporter on scene as Lincoln gave his hate-fueled message to these men. This is a good quote from his ramblings:

"We look to our condition, owing to the existence of the two races on this continent. I need not recount to you the effects upon white men, growing out of the institution of Slavery. I believe in its general evil effects on the white race. See our present condition---the country engaged in war!---our white men cutting one another's throats, none knowing how far it will extend; and then consider what we know to be the truth. But for your race among us there could not be war, although many men engaged on either side do not care for you one way or the other. Nevertheless, I repeat, without the institution of Slavery and the colored race as a basis, the war could not have an existence."

I really hope you caught that. Frederick Douglas sure did. He was outraged that Lincoln claims that blacks started the war and it was time for them to go home.

I've read some historian thoughts on Lincoln's colonization crap, and I have to wonder how many racist historians we have. Some of them have stated "Well, everyone was racist back then.", which is a lie, since Lincoln had to face debates with people that were against slavery and colonization. It never ceases to amaze me that people will protect the evil of someone if they like that person.

Thanks for reading everyone. I'll have a Nintendo 3DS blog up later. I just have been meaning to write this and thought some of you who are under the spell that Lincoln was some hero, when he was not.

Next time in the adventures of Lincoln, we'll discuss how he broke the Constitution more times than you can shake a stick at. This includes prison without a trial, the destruction freedom of speech, and the murder of innocent so the railroad companies could survive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Breaking away today from gaming news, something a tad more important for those who may be still under the false illusion that the 16th President of the United States of America was anything but a tyrant. If anything, we should have tracked down John Wilkes Booth and rewarded him with a *medal* Thanks to  FancySoapsMan.

I'm dead serious.

What have you heard about Lincoln? He stopped slavery. He saved the Union. He was shot while watching a play. And probably you've heard this in church: was a great Christian leader. Time to dig in here, shall we?

Slavery: Abe Lincoln could have cared less about slavery (to an extent). Repeated time and time again, he wanted to save the Union rather than help blacks get out of a sticky situation. "But Bessen, he gave a political speech saying he thought slavery was evil!". True, but Clinton gave a speech to the American people that he didn't know what the word "is" meant. Bush Sr. gave a speech saying that he would "not raise taxes". Obama said he would bring "unity" to the two parties. It's a political speech. OnAugust 22, 1862, Lincoln said these words:

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

What did Lincoln think of black people? He didn't think too much of them. We'll get deeper into this in a moment. First, let's hear what this idiot had to say regarding this race he cared to "save":

"I am not now, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social or political equality of the white and black races. I am not now nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarriages with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and the black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on social or political equality. There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I am in favor of assigning the superior position to the white man." -1858

"I thought that in your struggle for the Union, to whatever extent the negroes should cease helping the enemy, to that extent it weakened the enemy in his resistance to you. Do you think differently? I thought that whatever negroes can be got to do as soldiers, leaves just so much less for white soldiers to do, in saving the Union. Does it appear otherwise to you? But negroes, like other people, act upon motives. Why should they do any thing for us, if we will do nothing for them?" -August 26, 1863

I don't know if you understand the last statement. That's what we consider "cannon fodder". In other words, let's make blacks think they're getting something when actually we're using them to protect whites against attacks. Strong words.

I know this may be shocking but there were black Confederate soldiers who joined to protect their businesses. Wait, what? Obviously they'd join the northern states in the fight to free the slaves, right? Wrong. It was illegal for blacks to own businesses in the north in almost all states. It was not illegal in the south. Black women actually owned businesses in the south such as in Louisiana. By Lincoln coming in to shake things up, he put some of these businesses out of order through murder.

Back to Lincoln, and one of the most shocking revelations to his racist behavior is his vision to ship all of the blacks out of America. You know, that saying "Ship 'em back to Africa!". That was a common northern idea and Lincoln very much supported this idea. Take for example his meeting with five black men (includingFrederick Douglass) in Washington D.C. onAugust 14, 1862. Lincoln suggested for them to move to Liberia. Not shocking, giving his state of Illinois refused to allow freed blacks into their state. Luckily, there was a reporter on scene as Lincoln gave his hate-fueled message to these men. This is a good quote from his ramblings:

"We look to our condition, owing to the existence of the two races on this continent. I need not recount to you the effects upon white men, growing out of the institution of Slavery. I believe in its general evil effects on the white race. See our present condition---the country engaged in war!---our white men cutting one another's throats, none knowing how far it will extend; and then consider what we know to be the truth. But for your race among us there could not be war, although many men engaged on either side do not care for you one way or the other. Nevertheless, I repeat, without the institution of Slavery and the colored race as a basis, the war could not have an existence."

I really hope you caught that. Frederick Douglas sure did. He was outraged that Lincoln claims that blacks started the war and it was time for them to go home.

I've read some historian thoughts on Lincoln's colonization crap, and I have to wonder how many racist historians we have. Some of them have stated "Well, everyone was racist back then.", which is a lie, since Lincoln had to face debates with people that were against slavery and colonization. It never ceases to amaze me that people will protect the evil of someone if they like that person.

Thanks for reading everyone. I'll have a Nintendo 3DS blog up later. I just have been meaning to write this and thought some of you who are under the spell that Lincoln was some hero, when he was not.

Next time in the adventures of Lincoln, we'll discuss how he broke the Constitution more times than you can shake a stick at. This includes prison without a trial, the destruction freedom of speech, and the murder of innocent so the railroad companies could survive.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

*remembers a recent Abraham Documentary where they touched on such words as these, but then gave others where he had evolved his morals and his ideals over time* yeah I think I'll listen to an actual History channel documentary instead of a blog where one uses such words as idiot....and who all so includes the most damning words said by a man and says LOOK LOOK! proof...*tries to cover any redeeming speeches and words by a man under a sheet* no no don't look over there nothing to see!!

P.S being for slavery is not racism, being against it is not not being racist.
    Slavery is about wanting cheap laborer not about whether they are equals, I am more then willing to Kill an equal If he does something worth death...Its not like Equality is some stop gap that says...oh SHIT I can't possibly do that they are my equal.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Stick to writing blogs about video games pal.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By illmatic19

Makes you think if he hadn't been assassinated, if he would have carried out his idea to export blacks back to Africa.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

and hold on. wait....  John Wilkes Booth is a hero? how is that sir? you do know that if the south had won slavery would have still been legal right? you complain about Abraham Lincoln and call him a racist...yet you Call John Wilkes Booth a southern supporter a hero for killing him, yet if the side he supported had won...Slavery would have been still legal....that's a little bit contradictory...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WilliamRLBaker:  
    Funny, because if you knew anything about history, you'd know that America is the ONLY country that ended slavery in a war. During the time of Lincoln, slavery was ending in the western world. There were peaceful movements to end slavery during these times in America as well.  

I guess the many black people that supported the south during the war were a bunch of racist jerks too, right?

But I guess you also didn't read: Lincoln could have cared less about slavery. He said time and time again, it was only to stop states from breaking away from America.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

Don't be that guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WilliamRLBaker said:
    yeah I think I'll listen to an actual History channel documentary instead of a blog where one uses such words as idiot.  
    Because the History Channel is always right... lol. And you do know history is subject to opinion, right? There's historians that ALSO state that that's just how things were back then.  So now you have historians saying he changed, and some saying "Well, that's just how things were." You're subject to opinion. You can easily decipher an opinion through a man's actions.

I read history books. I don't need TV persons to tell me how things happened. Reading > History Channel any day.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Don't be that guy. "
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @DryvBy: History Channel>Some random blogger who doesn't know the difference between "medal" and "metal".
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

He is still no Ronald Reagan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FancySoapsMan said:
    " @DryvBy: History Channel>Some random blogger who doesn't know the difference between "medal" and "metal". "
    So a typo makes someone a complete idiot? 

Oh. I forgot. On the internet, we're all doctors, lawyers, and English professors. 

You could, ya know, look past what I wrote and look at what LINCOLN SAID. That's what an intelligent person would do.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By august

Oh it's this dipshit again.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane
    @EpicSteve said:
    " Don't be that guy. "
    You never want to be that guy.
    AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By AltonBrown

No Caption Provided

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @DryvBy said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @DryvBy: History Channel>Some random blogger who doesn't know the difference between "medal" and "metal". "
    So a typo makes someone a complete idiot?  Oh. I forgot. On the internet, we're all doctors, lawyers, and English professors.  You could, ya know, look past what I wrote and look at what LINCOLN SAID. That's what an intelligent person would do. "
    Seeing as you're making such a big claim, I would have at least expected you to go over and check for mistakes.

And I'm not reading your blog because that would be a waste of time on my part.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FancySoapsMan said:
    " @DryvBy said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    So a typo makes someone a complete idiot?  Oh. I forgot. On the internet, we're all doctors, lawyers, and English professors.  You could, ya know, look past what I wrote and look at what LINCOLN SAID. That's what an intelligent person would do. "
    Seeing as you're making such a big claim, I would have at least expected you to go over and check for mistakes.  And I'm not reading your blog because that would be a waste of time on my part. "
    ...but continuing to write in my blog is not a waste of time... incredible. Yet I'm an idiot for making a typo. Gotcha.
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Rxanadu

This just proves one basic moral about the world: there's no such thing as black or white; just shades of gray.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By beej

so if we get to ignore Lincolns claims that slavery was evil because it was a political speech then why can't we ignore the rest of the Lincoln evidence you introduced? Also source please on the first set of quotations. Also any journalistic integrity you created kind of gets ruined by you calling Abraham Lincoln an Idiot, even if you prove your contention regarding racism then what separates him from plenty of people of the time?

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By LibraryDues

Naw, not worth it.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @DryvBy said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

yeah I think I'll listen to an actual History channel documentary instead of a blog where one uses such words as idiot.  
    Because the History Channel is always right... lol. And you do know history is subject to opinion, right? There's historians that ALSO state that that's just how things were back then.  So now you have historians saying he changed, and some saying "Well, that's just how things were." You're subject to opinion. You can easily decipher an opinion through a man's actions. I read history books. I don't need TV persons to tell me how things happened. Reading > History Channel any day. "
    lol so...the book is always right? 
    compared to the history channel that cites...and Often interviews...HISTORIANS THAT WROTE THE HISTORY BOOK.....
    History channel>Book>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a blog by an idiot.
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BionicMonster

So what I got from that blog is that Abe Lincoln was bad because he unified the nation,not for the slaves,but for everybody?
    Man what a horribly bad man. I sure hope he was the last person to do something good for the public good.
    If only there was someone who did what they thought was pure and right for their own personal reasons.Oh wait, that's right.

Also this is a videogame website. Abraham Lincoln is just as much idolized and deified as Chuck Norris, both for the sake of making awesome jokes.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

*goes to ask john wilkes booths brain in a jar who was right*

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DryvBy: Dude, Abe Lincoln legalized meth.
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I read a book!" 

Good work, kid. 

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Grissefar

Abe Lincoln is going to be the protagonist of an upcoming title called Lincoln Force.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RsistncE

I don't know if people are flaming the OP for other reasons or if they're flaming him because he said that Lincoln didn't actually care about the blacks (which he actually didn't). 

If people here actually think that Lincoln truly cared about blacks then they need to go take a University level history course in American history. ASAP.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf

Sorry, Andrew Jackson already took the position as worst president.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By Atlas

Man, people are extremely defensive about Abe Lincoln. I had no idea.

I'll take what the OP wrote with a pinch of salt, although he seems to argue fairly articulately, but the people responding are not arguing about the actual historical context. Lincoln is a likeable figure because of his image, and obviously Ryan's outspoken fondness for the man is well documented, but history is a study so open to interpretation that we can never be completely sure of someone's true character. Historians acknowledge the reliability of sources, but also try to acknowledge the context; what someone says on the record, and what they say off it. Saying Lincoln was the worst president ever is an obvious exaggeration, but I will concede that there is a historical argument to be made for him being the most overrated American president, although just as history is so subjective and open to interpretation, so is the term overrated. Don't jump to conclusions here, people.

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RsistncE said:
    " I don't know if people are flaming the OP for other reasons or if they're flaming him because he said that Lincoln didn't actually care about the blacks (which he actually didn't).  If people here actually think that Lincoln truly cared about blacks then they need to go take a University level history course in American history. ASAP. "
    It might be that nobody is impressed that the OP took a freshman course in American history.  Also not looking forward to reading his blog after he takes a course on Sartre and decides he's an existentialist, or after his comparative religions class when he realizes "they're basically all the same, man". 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @CitizenKane said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    " Don't be that guy. "
    You never want to be that guy. "
    I wanna be the guy.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @RsistncE said:
    " I don't know if people are flaming the OP for other reasons or if they're flaming him because he said that Lincoln didn't actually care about the blacks (which he actually didn't).  If people here actually think that Lincoln truly cared about blacks then they need to go take a University level history course in American history. ASAP. "
    People are flaming him for calling Lincoln the worst president in American history.
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hero_swe

I call all american presidents the worst presidents in humanity's history.
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Wow? Abe being fine with slavery makes him the worst president ever? What about all of the other presidents before him.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    People are flaming him for calling Lincoln the worst president in American history. "
    no hes being hated on for cheery picking words said by Lincoln, speeches he made...ect trying to make him look like the Republican Racist, Neo Nazi, Future hitler lover.  all so by saying books are 100% fact and since he's read books *more then likely he's read wikipedia* but then saying history channel is not trustworthy when they often talk to, cite, historians...who write the history books.

Among other things hes being hated on for...Hes posting this shit on a video games forum, regardless if its a blog.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    " Wow? Abe being fine with slavery makes him the worst president ever? What about all of the other presidents before him. "
    ...and most likely, many after him.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By SSully

It is posts like this that make me love coming on forums, and also make me sad because this topic creator can be a future journalist. Its also sad because there are journalists out there that try pulling the same crap he did in this post.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThePickle

If Ryan knew you were talking shit about Lincoln, you'd be dead. 

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Ravenousrattler

is this really what you want to be known for on the forums? If so your probably not going to be that popular.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You do realize that everyone was what would be considered racist in that time period, right? Even some abolitionists weren't for equal rights. Abraham Lincoln wanted, above all else, to keep the union together even though he considered slavery to be a moral evil.  Thus, his platform was a fairly moderate one (The south can keep the slaves it has, but it can't spread anywhere else), because a full-on emancipation platform would have made him unelectable. However, despite this, the south still seceded and that was that. And even though we can't know everything, I think his shift from being a supporter of the colonization movement (i.e. Send all the slaves back to africa to start their own country) to more willing to talk about cooperation is proof that his opinion of Slaves softened during his lifetime.

No, if you want a bad president, take a look at either Lincoln's successors (Johnson and Grant), his predecessor (Buchanan) or the super corrupt Warren G. Harding, who had cabinet members who illegally loaned federal land to private companies in exchange for money.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By babblinmule
    @Ravenousrattler said:
    " is this really what you want to be known for on the forums? If so your probably not going to be that popular. "
    Bad publicity is still better than no publicity.... right guys?....  right guys!?!?!?!?!!!    

*cries*

But serious answer, just because ol Abe isnt the saint that the american schooling system makes him out to be, doesnt mean that he was the worst president ever, or even a bad man! There are faaaaaaaaaaaar worse US presidents throughout history.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By beej

really op has to compare lincoln to every other president and explain why he was worse to prove his contention

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dork_Metamorphosis said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    It might be that nobody is impressed that the OP took a freshman course in American history.  Also not looking forward to reading his blog after he takes a course on Sartre and decides he's an existentialist, or after his comparative religions class when he realizes "they're basically all the same, man".  "
    ... I didn't take a freshman course in history. Did you read that somewhere or pull it out of thin air?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.