Ace Combat Assault Horizon Has Tone On 360, PS3

• 116 results
Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

After a three-year hiatus following Fires of Liberation, the Ace Combat franchise is finally punching it once more on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Ace Combat Assault Horizon brings the arcade flight simulator back to console hardware after several years of PSP-only releases.

Scheduled for a release sometime in 2011, Assault Horizon looks to feature more than just the series' jet-on-jet dogfights; the debut trailer seems to indicate that players will take control of helicopters as well, doing battle considerably closer to the ground than previous Ace Combat games.

But don't take my word for it; check out GameSpot's reveal trailer: 

Wait a minute. What was that at the beginning of the trailer? 

There you go. Tweeting jet pilots. Tweeting. From a jet. Tweets. JetTweets. 

As far as we know, Ace Combat Assault Horizon is an elaborate dating sim involving a group of sassy pilots who love to tweet at 30,000 feet.

That actually sounds great.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

After a three-year hiatus following Fires of Liberation, the Ace Combat franchise is finally punching it once more on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Ace Combat Assault Horizon brings the arcade flight simulator back to console hardware after several years of PSP-only releases.

Scheduled for a release sometime in 2011, Assault Horizon looks to feature more than just the series' jet-on-jet dogfights; the debut trailer seems to indicate that players will take control of helicopters as well, doing battle considerably closer to the ground than previous Ace Combat games.

But don't take my word for it; check out GameSpot's reveal trailer: 

Wait a minute. What was that at the beginning of the trailer? 

There you go. Tweeting jet pilots. Tweeting. From a jet. Tweets. JetTweets. 

As far as we know, Ace Combat Assault Horizon is an elaborate dating sim involving a group of sassy pilots who love to tweet at 30,000 feet.

That actually sounds great.
#2 Posted by DjTann3r (214 posts) -

balls

#3 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

Looks great

#4 Posted by BeardyDuck (61 posts) -

Tweet.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Finally, I've been waiting for this game for years. Not entirely sure how I feel about the helicopters but it'll be interesting to see how it'll play out.    

#6 Posted by SmotPoker (36 posts) -

As long as no one is told to "go dance with the angels" (almost made Ace Combat 6 unbearable, luckily you can skip those cutscenes), I'll be looking forward to playing this when it comes out.

#7 Posted by SileoNex (66 posts) -

Man those explosions look good and if they let you eject at will, that would be pretty cool.

JetTweets are the best kind of tweet.

#8 Posted by AnEternalEnigma (280 posts) -

Kessler just linked a Gamespot video?

Brace yourself for the shitstorm.

#9 Posted by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

Better be like AC4.

#10 Posted by zaglis (909 posts) -

We do not appreciate mentioning THAT site on GB.

#11 Posted by IamTerics (405 posts) -

If the actual gameplay has this many explosions I'll buy it.

#12 Posted by TonyBlue87 (291 posts) -

Holy crap!  It's Ace Combat meets After Burner meets Burnout meets Call of Duty.  This looks shweeeet!

#13 Posted by nood1eboy (14 posts) -

Looks cool.
#14 Posted by SuperKcross (89 posts) -

YEEEEESSSS

#15 Posted by Chirotera (53 posts) -

I'm excited for this - but I get the sense that they are starting to abandon the Strangereal world that they've created. That, I do not like.

#16 Posted by tgammet (90 posts) -

Looks more like Afterburner than Ace Combat :(

#17 Posted by everjump (28 posts) -

shit... I've been waiting for this... in ages!

#18 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

Looks decent, I enjoyed the last Ace Combat series, but I appreciate them changing up the franchise now and agin. Seems we're in our reality what with Miami, think they only did that in the PSP AC games. Also helicopters.

#19 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@AnEternalEnigma said:
" Kessler just linked a Gamespot video?  Brace yourself for the shitstorm. "
It won't be a nice trip.
#20 Posted by Will_3rd (80 posts) -

Looks good!

#21 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Wow this looks awesome. Jets doing back flips and helicopters busting out barrel rolls. It looks like they are throwing in some third person shooter mechanics, bringing some much needed change to the typical fly around until you find a guy. The combat looks like it can be much more dynamic than that.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Fires of Liberation was totally rad.

#23 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

This just made HAWX 2 irrelevant. Never played an AC game before either and glad to see helicopters getting attention - crossing fingers for a playable Chinook (maybe even as a mission to extract your pilot where he ejected into enemy territory). Although I'm worried about the cutscenes if I remember the reviews of Ace Combat 6:FoL correctly.

#24 Posted by Eribuster (483 posts) -

Seeing how the PSP game Ace Combat: Joint Assault is also set in the real world, it looks like this might be the start of an Assault spin-off series that will always be set in the real world. I wonder if that means any numbered installment signifies a Strangereal world game.

#25 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

I've been waiting for a new console AC game for a while now, having loved the series since AC2, so this is good news, but that trailer is not super-encouraging.

Man, I hope this trailer is just a little "American Kirby Is Hardcore", and that the game itself still has that weird Namco tone that the other console AC games have had - with over dramatic dialogue and great eclectic music.

Would love to see some straight gameplay without all the extra camera angles and such.

#26 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Dude, this looks fucking awesome! I remember playing the hell out of the first Ace Combat. I think I'll be doing the same with this. Of course, it's only a reveal, but from the looks of it it looks as they included some actual gameplay in there too.

#27 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Did I just see the Hawx style air break and assault from behind move? That's pretty dope.

#28 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (945 posts) -

Haven't played an Ace Combar game since 4. This doesn't look like much of an advancement. Maybe it's just the video quality but the ground textures look no better than 4 also.

#29 Posted by NemesisTheory (35 posts) -

This looked AMAZING.

Also, the music. Dear god, the music. Even though I only heard snippets of it, I can only imagine how freaking epic the main theme must be.

#30 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

Man... It's the melodramatic storylines and the epic music that keeps me playing Ace Combat games.

Here's to hoping that a super-secret giant weapon of mass destruction will pose a threat somewhere in the game (again).

#31 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -

wow

#32 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
Did I just see the Hawx style air break and assault from behind move? That's pretty dope.
Looks like it.

Also this Ace Combat has real world locations, helicopter combat.  Maybe more on-rails sections?  I think it seems like an improvement overall.  Looking forward to seeing more.
#33 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

love Ace Combat. sold? yeah, likely. 

#34 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

I can't wait. I love...  I love green boxes, I love shooting planes, I love giant gold statues riding tanks!

#35 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

Never played a AC game but got sorta interested when a friend showed me some of the earlier ones. Maybe I'll get into it with this one.

#36 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Aha, those flying aircraft carriers are wicked (in thumbnail), did the player ever control them or at least get to land on them in real time?

#37 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

Oh hell yes.

#38 Posted by Suraph (6 posts) -

Ace Combat 6 is why I bought a 360.  Cannot wait, this looks awesome~

#39 Posted by MJHAYLETT (437 posts) -

Oooo I have a Thrustmaster X Hotas for PS3 and well a new Ace Combat game could be just the ticket :D

#40 Posted by zkillz (93 posts) -
@Suraph said:
" Ace Combat 6 is why I bought a 360.  Cannot wait, this looks awesome~ "
ditto, so excited for this
#41 Posted by ZagZagovich (755 posts) -

Not sure about the new setting for the game. I really loved the story in AC 6 but there is no way in would be plausible in the real world. It was more like a good JRPG on planes. Very romanticized and far from the real world but that really worked for me. And the score made me tear up the first time I heard it in the trailer.This "rockin' xtreem" version of it kind of makes me worry about the tone. Same with this Markov guy. They are playing him up like a bad ass dude who is so cool he's got a shark on his nose and calls himself shark (but in Russian of course). None of that seems interesting. Sure the game is gonna be great no matter what but I'm not sure about the story.

#42 Posted by Thevamp25 (229 posts) -

YES!, Ace Combat is one of my favorite franchises,but it looks like a mix of Hawz and Ace....im going to keep a close eye,i hope they dont ruin it,i kinda like the cheesy japanese feel of 6...hmmmm 

#43 Posted by Donos (1193 posts) -

That Apache did a barrel roll. It's still Ace Combat.

#44 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

That trailer just sold me. 

Bring on Ace Combat.

#45 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Looks good, not sure what's with the 360 logo after the video when it's a multiplatform game right? Or is it timed exclusive?

#46 Posted by Sharpshooter (883 posts) -

So no more fake world settings to stand in for the US and Russia anymore, I can get behind that.
#47 Posted by Advertisement (318 posts) -

Always been a big Ace Combat fan, and this look GREAT. Destructible buildings?????

#48 Posted by dagas (2746 posts) -

Loved AC since AC4, I hope this rebirth doesn't mess up a great game.

#49 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Whoa, great trailer.  That gun camera view is questionable, but can't judge til I try it.

#50 Edited by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

This seems a lot more HOORAH and OSCAR MIKE then previous AC titles, I`m not sure I like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.