Ace Combat has been CODified.

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

If the demo is to be believed. You jump around between different characters instead of just playing the same person throughout the game. I don't mind change but it still bothers me alot. The game play looks great but the story just looks like cod in the air. Which is what HAWX turned out to be. So AC:AH is going to be HAWX but with good gameplay.

I just wish it was going to be Ace Combat with good gameplay.

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

You know what's really weird? Regenerating planes.

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

You know what's really weird? Regenerating planes.

I know. I noticed that the helicopter had regenerating health.

#4 Posted by Zacagawea (1599 posts) -

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

#5 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

Ace Combat turned into a fish? LOL I'm just kidding.

But yeah that sounds like crap, the switching might destroy the story.

#6 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

@jkuc316 said:

I mean it completely destroys what in my opinion was a very immersive game. I loved how in ace combat you are usually just a guy. You get to watch the story happen around you.

#7 Posted by Jothel (934 posts) -

...you're really THAT bothered by this?

#8 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

@Jothel said:

...you're really THAT bothered by this?

I meant I am bothered by things in general. Though I try not to be. But yes its kind of crazy and needless for them to do this.

#9 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

i would prefer it if ace combat had been gearsified. i want my plane to hide behind cover and curbstomp people with a chainsaw gun.

#10 Posted by yakov456 (1917 posts) -

I just played the demo. Liked it very much.

#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

I could never get into Ace Combat. It always felt too much like After Burner from the arcades for my tastes. Which is fine, but I'd like it if it leaned towards more of a sim style.

I'm actually super excited about the jets in BF3...

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (19019 posts) -

How long will it be before the players hack it?

#13 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4630 posts) -

@adoggz said:

i would prefer it if ace combat had been gearsified. i want my plane to hide behind cover and curbstomp people with a chainsaw gun.

I approve.

#14 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

When I first read the title, I thought it meant they would have killstreaks and shit like that.

#15 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@adoggz said:

I approve.

This game needs to be made!

#16 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1090 posts) -

i'm a fan of the series and i didn't like it one bit.

#17 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

Regenerating planes.

Words fail me

#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Can you hide behind floating cover?

#19 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -

The multiplayer will be ruined by all the campers. 

#20 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1471 posts) -

@adoggz said:

*Gasp* A deployable nano shield that you project in front of your plane! Make this happen Japan, you crazy mofos.

#21 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

After playing the demo yesterday and again this morning to give it a second shot... I'm very concerned. The whole point of a flight combat game is to FLY. If I wanted to play a rail shooter, I'd play FFXIII. (har har har) But seriously, I wouldn't mind CRA if it was just once a mission, but in the demo it's hard to find an aircraft you can destroy without going on-rails.

Unless I see evidence that most missions will be significantly more like Ace Combat than whatever the hell that was I just played, I'm canceling my preorder.

Anyone who's into it, have at it. But it looks like I'll be waiting patiently for an Ace Combat HD collection.

#22 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

I could never get into Ace Combat. It always felt too much like After Burner from the arcades for my tastes. Which is fine, but I'd like it if it leaned towards more of a sim style.

I'm actually super excited about the jets in BF3...

WHAT! Its nothing like afterburner... And vehicles aren't very realistic in BF any way...

#23 Posted by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

@Starclopsofish said:

After playing the demo yesterday and again this morning to give it a second shot... I'm very concerned. The whole point of a flight combat game is to FLY. If I wanted to play a rail shooter, I'd play FFXIII. (har har har) But seriously, I wouldn't mind CRA if it was just once a mission, but in the demo it's hard to find an aircraft you can destroy without going on-rails.

Unless I see evidence that most missions will be significantly more like Ace Combat than whatever the hell that was I just played, I'm canceling my preorder.

Anyone who's into it, have at it. But it looks like I'll be waiting patiently for an Ace Combat HD collection.

I feel the same way except I am still going to buy it. I'm just going to be bitter about it.

#24 Posted by Gunharp (337 posts) -

@Devil240Z:

I dunno about being bitter. I look forward to the story they have written, I've played every Project Ace game except the PSP Titltes and Sky Crawlers. Each one it was the story, comm chatter, and cutscenes that push you to the end.

The arcade feel and repetitiveness usually hits hard around chapter 6 to 7 in these games, that's what I have always been bitter about. Outside of the story elements they have always only changed it up with unique boss fights. So for them to take a new direction and add new game play features kinda gives me the feeling the repetition will be nowhere near as bad as previous titles.

#25 Posted by Grilledcheez (3952 posts) -

It sounds like they're trying to breathe some life into the series, it might alienate hardcore fans, but it also might widen their audience which is a risk they're likely to take.

#26 Edited by Devil240Z (3396 posts) -

@Gunharp: Sky Crawlers' story is really cool. I didn't get far though cause you know... Wii.

Yeah I guess. I just hope some really crazy shit happens in the story. The dog fight mechanic is cool and all but I think they need to tone it down.

The previous titles never felt too repetitive to me. But I usually played though them in two or three sittings. And I always felt that urge to keep going to see the next cut scene. AC04 is still great for that. And in AC5(i think, might be Zero) where your wingman kills himself. Shit maybe i'm even thinking of 6.

Anyway my main concern is the story. I wish this game was AC7. Even if it has all of the stuff that Assault Horizon will have.

EDIT: I feel like I am becoming the next Kaosangel. Making all these sensational topics. Actually I kind of felt like he was a more annoying version of me when GT5 was coming out.

#27 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -

@jkuc316 said:

The implication here is that Ace Combat has traditionally had excellent stories... I'm not going to insult the storyline too much, but it's hard to destroy something that's already wrecked. The stories were fun, even if they weren't good, but I don't see how jumping around means the story will be better or worse, they're just trying something a little different.

#28 Posted by dagas (2864 posts) -

As someone who has loved the series for many years, I'm not at all pleased with this mainstreamification of the series. It was never a simulation game, but now it's just crazy.

#29 Posted by ttocs (765 posts) -

The comments on this thread make me feel like I'm going to like this game a lot. I wasn't a huge fan of the previous Ace Combat, but I enjoyed it. Some of the changes they made seem perfect for what I'm looking for though. I can understand how series vets would be upset though. Waiting until lunch to watch the QL and picking it up after work today.

#30 Posted by Sunjammer (918 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

i'm a fan of the series and i didn't like it one bit.

+1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.