Dang, this game looks intense!

#1 Edited by NTM (7516 posts) -

Take a look at this footage, I haven't checked elsewhere, so sorry if you've seen it already, or it's on this site as well. I love many games in a wide array of genres, and Ace Combat is one of those series that I love, but this is really the first video I've seen of its new iteration since I have been pretty preoccupied with other games lately. Now that I see this, it's getting me excited. How do you feel about Ace Combat? 

#2 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -

This is almost unbelievable. I mean, there's some aspects of it that's awkward because sometimes he goes through environments, but I'll excuse that for now since it's not yet done, but also, how cinematic it is. Some parts, you think could get in your way when the camera is moving around like that. No matter, it looks intense (like I said).

#3 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Can I download idolM@ster skins for my plane?

#4 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

Can I download idolM@ster skins for my plane?

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiinstant buy if I can.

#5 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@SuperWristBands: Ha, I don't know if you can or not. I'm guessing you're being sarcastic though? I remember you could put anime stuff on planes in the other ones, but I never did that. Or was that Ace Combat?
#6 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@NTM said:

@SuperWristBands: Ha, I don't know if you can or not. I'm guessing you're being sarcastic though? I remember you could put anime stuff on planes in the other ones, but I never did that. Or was that Ace Combat?

I'm only half sarcastic. I realize how silly those skins are but they are also the reason I found out about Ace Combat and I am not kinda interested in it. I will probably check out this game at some point because I would like to try this series eventually.

#7 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Agreed, looks pretty good.
PLANE IRON-SIGHTS.

#8 Edited by UnrealDP (1225 posts) -

Looks pretty amazing and i've been stoked ever since they talked about the Apache stuff, but man ground textures right? Those little buggers are so flat and bad looking. How long until we've got a game with some at least decent looking pavement.

#9 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@UnrealDP: Yeah, I guess that's somewhat true, but when you play a game like this, you're almost always focusing on something else, so the ground textures won't necessarily deter the experience. Did I use that word correctly? :P
#10 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@FirePrince: Yeah, the cockpit view isn't anything new, but it zooming in like that was weird (and cool).
#11 Posted by UnrealDP (1225 posts) -

@NTM said:

@UnrealDP: Yeah, I guess that's somewhat true, but when you play a game like this, you're almost always focusing on something else, so the ground textures won't necessarily deter the experience. Did I use that word correctly? :P

Yeah but i always get weirdly hung up on how they look when i get close to hitting the ground or my attention is brought to the ground or something. I probably just need to deter my brain from deterring my attention away from the deteringly great experience....I'm not even sure if i used that word right ether, actually i'm pretty sure deteringly isn't even a word let alone a positive one. :)

#12 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@UnrealDP: Ha ha, alright. Anyways, yeah, I can understand what you mean. For me personally though, it's a very small thing to care about when it comes to Ace Combat.
#13 Posted by Icemael (6353 posts) -

I've never been especially interested in combat flight simulators, but this looks damned cool. Perhaps I'll buy it.

#14 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@Icemael: Have you ever played an Ace Combat? If not, I recommend it. It can be challenging, but it's also one of the best flight games around. Ace Combat is a great place to start, or at least enter for those that were previously uninterested. 
#15 Posted by Icemael (6353 posts) -
@NTM: No. I just don't think they look very fun, so I've never tried one.

If I get Assault Horizon and like it I might give the others a chance, but at the moment I really have no interest.
#16 Posted by UnrealDP (1225 posts) -

@NTM:

Oh yeah for sure! I meant it as a small thing, it's not like my extremely high standards won't allow for such sub par ground textures. It's like lip syncing that's a little off or when a menu defaults at the bottom of the menu when i want to scroll up, just small little things that take me out of the experience a bit, but don't really matter all that much.

#17 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@Icemael: Yeah, I can understand that. Well, I hope that if or when you get that game, it does change your mind, 'cause Ace Combat deserves as much attention as it can get.
#18 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@UnrealDP: Ha ha, yeah. I know, that's what I expected.
#19 Posted by Mentalnova (139 posts) -

Cutscenes remind you it's a Japanese developer.

#20 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

It looked a bit simple, but that's coming from a guy who hasn't played an Ace Combat game before. Sure looks fun though.

#21 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@Mentalnova: I take it you don't like that aspect of it?
#22 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@TwilitEnd656: Simple in what way? Like it looked easy? Yeah, I guess. I don't see how it's an overall problem, and Ace Combat games get more challenging as you get further into the game, and this would be training. Plus you haven't played an Ace Combat game before, what a great place to start right? Well, if it turns out to be appealing enough for you in the end that is.
#23 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

Looks pretty fun.

#24 Posted by Hampe (178 posts) -

I'm in. Playing this.

#25 Posted by Jimbo (9930 posts) -

Looks neat, if a little contrived at times (the multiple plane takedowns). Needs more X-Wings and space.

#26 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@Jimbo: Ha ha. Ya know? I really did enjoy the Rouge Squadron games as much as Ace Combat, or at least very close. Oh and yes, but Ace Combat has never truly been realistic, and this looks to be a bit more cinematic. I like it, though I hope it doesn't become repetitive so much that'll turn boring. 
#27 Posted by MrXD (240 posts) -

I just preorder this game few days ago

#28 Posted by NTM (7516 posts) -
@MrXD: That's good news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.