Tom Clancy-fied Junk? CoD: Jets Edition?

#1 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

<insert scathing snark>

But for real, I loved the previous games in the franchise because of their goofy story and fake setting, not in spite of them.

And now its 'ooh, we get some paperback mil-wank writer to give us a plot with A RUSSIAN BAD GUY that AMERICA needs to stop!', and 'dog fights for babys mini-games'.

Am I the only one unhappy to see Namco make HAWX 3?

#2 Posted by Toxin066 (3196 posts) -

I don't follow, so I'm going to go with "Maybe."

#3 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -
The previous ACs were boring as fuck. This one actually looks like a decent game. W heeeeeê
#4 Posted by Devil240Z (3052 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
"
The previous ACs were boring as fuck. This one actually looks like a decent game. W heeeeeê
"
You are so wrong. I loved every second of the previous games. They so expertly craft an atmosphere that can completely absorb you. I think of the final level of Ace Combat 4 as one of the greatest moments in gaming. All of the other pilots who at the start of the game had no idea who you were now rallying behind you and taking on your flight callsign Mobius to honor you, the pilot who is about to risk his life to save the day. 

Magnificent. 
#5 Posted by Delusibeta (68 posts) -

Having only seen the latest trailer, I'm reminded a bit of Heatseeker. Whether that's a good thing or not is another question entirely.

#6 Posted by DefaultProphet (311 posts) -

@Stahlbrand said:

<insert scathing snark>But for real, I loved the previous games in the franchise because of their goofy story and fake setting, not in spite of them.And now its 'ooh, we get some paperback mil-wank writer to give us a plot with A RUSSIAN BAD GUY that AMERICA needs to stop!', and 'dog fights for babys mini-games'.Am I the only one unhappy to see Namco make HAWX 3?

Those "Dog fights for babys mini-games" are completely optional. We'll have our Expert control scheme in Assault Horizon so chillax. Also the game looks amazing same cheesy story but in a real setting

#7 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

@DefaultProphet: Well, to each their own, certainly. Lots of people are excited for the new direction of the series, but I think its crap. Pity for me, but its not like there aren't dozens of great games out every year regardless.

I was pretty cheesed when I made the original post a few weeks back, but it really doesn't matter much. I would have much preferred a game more in keeping with the tone and setting of previous games, but looks like I'm not their market anymore.

Japanese developers need to be chasin' that dollar to stay in business. So they'll all clumsily ape CoD, and it will (if the recent past has taught us anything about Japanese developers trying to capture western audiences by pandering to what western devs have done) go badly for them.

#8 Posted by zudthespud (3276 posts) -

@Stahlbrand said:

<insert scathing snark>But for real, I loved the previous games in the franchise because of their goofy story and fake setting, not in spite of them.And now its 'ooh, we get some paperback mil-wank writer to give us a plot with A RUSSIAN BAD GUY that AMERICA needs to stop!', and 'dog fights for babys mini-games'.Am I the only one unhappy to see Namco make HAWX 3?

Isn't it Emerians against the Estovakians? Not America against Russia?

#9 Edited by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

You know, Tom Clancy's son who is known to browse these forums would be hurt reading this thread.

Shame on you.

#10 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@thehexeditor: I know he's aware of the site, but is he actually an active viewer? Also, didn't he work on The Conduit 2? I wonder how he feels about that Quick Look...
#11 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

@thehexeditor: I know he's aware of the site, but is he actually an active viewer? Also, didn't he work on The Conduit 2? I wonder how he feels about that Quick Look...

Probably not. I maek fahnny joek you see.

#12 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@thehexeditor: Heh, ok. I've seen him reply to a few threads so I thought he might be, but wasn't sure if it was a known thing or not.
#13 Posted by DefaultProphet (311 posts) -

@Stahlbrand: The tone seems to be intact though, that's what I'm trying to tell you. Watch the latest trailer, the dialogue is the same, the delivery, the "There's a ribbon on that jet.......IT'S THE GRIM REAPER"-ness of it all. The only thing that's different is the setting. Of course it's not out yet but I think it'd be a disservice for an Ace Combat fan to write the game off completely at this point.

#14 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
@DefaultProphet said:

 I think it'd be a disservice for an Ace Combat fan to write the game off completely at this point.

#15 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

I'm just going to use this space to say I would kill to have a new Strike game especially if it had the corny FMVs as well.

#16 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:

@Slaker117 said:

@thehexeditor: I know he's aware of the site, but is he actually an active viewer? Also, didn't he work on The Conduit 2? I wonder how he feels about that Quick Look...

Probably not. I maek fahnny joek you see.

Joe K

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.