Who else is stoked for a new Ace Combat?

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3251 posts) -

I am so stoked I might go back and play though all of the old ace combat games again. I already did it a few months before Assault Horizon got announced. 

Or at least play through 04 to 6. Ace Combat 1 is pre dualshock so the controls stink, it also looks like butt. and Ace Combat 3 is all in japanese(But apparently the story is good)
I guess I should look into buying Ace Combat 2 and the USA version of 3, Which I avoided because all the story was taken out of the English version. 
I still wish that Assault Horizon were taking place in the original Ace Combat universe and not the "real world". 

I really love the stories in the Ace Combat games. Who's with me?
#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

As long as F-22 can't be locked onto, and are invisible from other planes I'm good with it.


It's fucking bullshit in the last Ace Combat the F-22 could get locked onto and be seen on radar from other planes.
#3 Edited by Devil240Z (3251 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" As long as F-22 can't be locked onto, and are invisible from other planes I'm good with it.
It's fucking bullshit in the last Ace Combat the F-22 could get locked onto and be seen on radar from other planes.
"

Come on man, its a video game. 

Also it doesn't even take place on earth. I think they can do whatever they want. There are fucking flying battle ships. 
#4 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:
"Come on man, its a video game. Also it doesn't even take place on earth. I think they can do whatever they want. There are fucking flying battle ships. "
Namco said this is more sim than arcade...so I'm holding that on them.  Either make the F-22 godtier or don't put them in, that's always been my only problem with Ace Combat...other than that, I fucking love them.
#5 Posted by Devil240Z (3251 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Flying Battleships.
#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:
" @KaosAngel: Flying Battleships. "
It's as sim as it can be.  >.>  

It's Ace Combat with sim-like characteristics.
#7 Posted by Prince_of_Space (82 posts) -

I get that setting the game on Earth makes the game more marketable, but  I'm still disappointed that Namco's abandoning the setting from the previous games. Sure, the stories were melodramatic and read like something out of a bad Tom Clancy novel but I appreciated the creativity that went into the world-building. Still, if the flying holds up I might check this one out, though I don't think it will beat AC0 in my personal rankings  (You can't top those weird FMV cutscenes).

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I gotta admit that it does look pretty badass. I think this will be the first flight game I might enjoy since Crimson Skies. 

#9 Posted by MackGyver (516 posts) -

Can't wait!

#10 Posted by CrazedMaverick (214 posts) -

I loved 5. The story was really hokey, but it was fun. 6 was meh. But i'm looking forward to this.

#11 Posted by Devil240Z (3251 posts) -
@Prince_of_Space said:
" I get that setting the game on Earth makes the game more marketable, but  I'm still disappointed that Namco's abandoning the setting from the previous games. Sure, the stories were melodramatic and read like something out of a bad Tom Clancy novel but I appreciated the creativity that went into the world-building. Still, if the flying holds up I might check this one out, though I don't think it will beat AC0 in my personal rankings  (You can't top those weird FMV cutscenes). "
Wait. No. This game is like some crappy tom clancey novel. the old ones were more like kookie JRPG stories. Which were way better. 

The story was the best part of the old Ace Combat games. 

@CrazedMaverick said:
" I loved 5. The story was really hokey, but it was fun. 6 was meh. But i'm looking forward to this. "
I don't think any Ace Combat game can be described as meh. 
#12 Posted by Wuddel (2078 posts) -

Ok. So I just brought a PC/PS3 capable flight stick. Do these games support them usually?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.