6 Digits...

Posted by white_sox (212 posts) -

2032, that is the number of days to finally rack up 100,000 gamescore.

That's a fairly ridiculous amount in my opinion, yet it pales in comparison to many achievers out there. From what I understand, some have eclipsed the 1/2 million mark. I don't think I'll ever get there, hell it took me over 5 years to finally see 6 digits.

I still remember earning my first achievement. I thought nothing of it at the time, mainly because the achievement system was foreign to me. For the longest time I thought achievements were redeemable for MS points, which I could then use to buy arcade games. As it turns out, they have no value in real life or the virtual world.

Yet I still find the system fascinating and have continued to have some connection to it for as long as I have owned my 360. Various things have fueled my fire for getting points. Personal satisfaction, one upping a friend, and most importantly the community aspect of it all. GB's personal tracking system has made the achievement system significantly better. I always seem to think to myself, 'well if that one is common then I should have it'. Or 'damn, that one is rare...I bet I could do it even if less than 10% couldn't'. Other sites like 360voice and a360p also contributed to the whole community aspect of earning achievements. Jeff also played a role in getting me involved with achievements. Back in the GS days, he had a video blog dedicated to what he had been playing and the point he had accumulated from it.

I know there is a stigma attached to people who care about gamerscore, hell I'm sure some of you think writing a blog about it is already ridiculous. Have I played bad games for achievements? Yeah. Have I spent too much time collecting skulls or thermoses? Certainly. One thing I can say though is that I have never let personal scores take over my enjoyment of playing games.

So with all that out of the way, a few odds and ends:

• 5 years, 6 months, 23 days from 0 to 100,000
  • 289 games played
  • 4664 achievements unlocked
  • 29 retail games completed
  • 10 arcade games completed
  • Most common achievement (according to GB): It's more of this at 98.9% (YDKJ)
  • Rarest (according to GB): Ammo Hog at 0.9% (F.E.A.R.)
  • Largest achievement: Treasure Hunt - 490 GS (Band Hero)
  • Twelve "0" point achievements
  • First one: Prison Breakout (Gears, January 2nd 2007)
  • The one to push me to 100 K: First Strike (Risk Factions)
  • Most memorable: Seriously...or Best of the Best
  • Most difficult: War Hardened (CoD 2)

What are your thoughts on achievements? Do you try to get them or disregard the whole thing altogether? Do you want to see them evolve next generation or perhaps even completely scrap them? Feel free to discuss any service's achievement system - be it Live, PSN, or Steam.

#1 Posted by white_sox (212 posts) -

2032, that is the number of days to finally rack up 100,000 gamescore.

That's a fairly ridiculous amount in my opinion, yet it pales in comparison to many achievers out there. From what I understand, some have eclipsed the 1/2 million mark. I don't think I'll ever get there, hell it took me over 5 years to finally see 6 digits.

I still remember earning my first achievement. I thought nothing of it at the time, mainly because the achievement system was foreign to me. For the longest time I thought achievements were redeemable for MS points, which I could then use to buy arcade games. As it turns out, they have no value in real life or the virtual world.

Yet I still find the system fascinating and have continued to have some connection to it for as long as I have owned my 360. Various things have fueled my fire for getting points. Personal satisfaction, one upping a friend, and most importantly the community aspect of it all. GB's personal tracking system has made the achievement system significantly better. I always seem to think to myself, 'well if that one is common then I should have it'. Or 'damn, that one is rare...I bet I could do it even if less than 10% couldn't'. Other sites like 360voice and a360p also contributed to the whole community aspect of earning achievements. Jeff also played a role in getting me involved with achievements. Back in the GS days, he had a video blog dedicated to what he had been playing and the point he had accumulated from it.

I know there is a stigma attached to people who care about gamerscore, hell I'm sure some of you think writing a blog about it is already ridiculous. Have I played bad games for achievements? Yeah. Have I spent too much time collecting skulls or thermoses? Certainly. One thing I can say though is that I have never let personal scores take over my enjoyment of playing games.

So with all that out of the way, a few odds and ends:

• 5 years, 6 months, 23 days from 0 to 100,000
  • 289 games played
  • 4664 achievements unlocked
  • 29 retail games completed
  • 10 arcade games completed
  • Most common achievement (according to GB): It's more of this at 98.9% (YDKJ)
  • Rarest (according to GB): Ammo Hog at 0.9% (F.E.A.R.)
  • Largest achievement: Treasure Hunt - 490 GS (Band Hero)
  • Twelve "0" point achievements
  • First one: Prison Breakout (Gears, January 2nd 2007)
  • The one to push me to 100 K: First Strike (Risk Factions)
  • Most memorable: Seriously...or Best of the Best
  • Most difficult: War Hardened (CoD 2)

What are your thoughts on achievements? Do you try to get them or disregard the whole thing altogether? Do you want to see them evolve next generation or perhaps even completely scrap them? Feel free to discuss any service's achievement system - be it Live, PSN, or Steam.

#2 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Very nice! I remember when I got my 100 000. I purposely made it so that it would be on the mark. Did you do the same or did it just happen to be right on 100 000?

I just finished up Silent Hill 3 on the HD collection. Ran through that game three and a half times in two days. All for the achievements( I also enjoyed playing it too, in case that isn't obvious without stating it as well). I didn't need to go through it four times to unlock a weapon to see an ending I could have on YouTube but I did. Fun times.

#3 Posted by GunstarRed (5477 posts) -

Well done. The second I hit 100000 I kinda lost interest. I didn't automatically get the need to go for my next 10000 points. It just isn't interesting anymore, it seems so few people care about their gamerscore these days. I used to be able to tell you my exact score if asked, I have no clue what my score is now and the one shown at the side here on GB is totally wrong and full of PS trophies.

Man, that Band hero achievement is ridiculous.

#4 Posted by doosmacleod (189 posts) -

Wow, that impressive. I don't think I've broken 20k on X360 yet. I can never really bring myself to really go for achievements, or even really press myself to play games outside of the ones that I already have a vested interest in. Sadly, I think my PS2 is on more than my X360.

Whenever I do try to go for achievements, I always try to ridiculously stupid/difficult ones, and give up a few minutes in.

I just don't have that drive!

#5 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

I'm at 71,000 and have only played 90 or so games.....I need more games damnit! Can't wait for this fall and all the new games coming out, gonna hit that 100,000 mark eventually :)

#6 Posted by white_sox (212 posts) -

@SuperWristBands said:

Very nice! I remember when I got my 100 000. I purposely made it so that it would be on the mark. Did you do the same or did it just happen to be right on 100 000?

I just finished up Silent Hill 3 on the HD collection. Ran through that game three and a half times in two days. All for the achievements( I also enjoyed playing it too, in case that isn't obvious without stating it as well). I didn't need to go through it four times to unlock a weapon to see an ending I could have on YouTube but I did. Fun times.

Yes I did line it up so I would get exactly 100 K. I hadn't planned on it until I landed on 99,995. Then I did a quick scroll down my games played and I knew I could get an easy one in Risk: Factions for the 5 points I needed.

I recently did the same thing in F.E.A.R. that you did in SH3. I beat the game 3 times in the past 5 days. I had a blast doing it too, listening to the bombcast while weaving through enemies was great. I can probably speed run that game in under three hours now :).

#7 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1254 posts) -

Congrats! As someone getting close to 50,000 but not necessarily seeking out easy games for points, I can see that you have put in a ton of hard work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.