Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Milestone: 20k in gamerscore!

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Edited By jhosaphat

To appreciate the present I will look back to my first milestone, 10k in gamerscore. It was September 2007, and I had just finished the campaign in Halo 3 for a total gamerscore of 10036. It has taken me 1 year and 10 months to reach 20k. In that time span, I have played Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Ms. Pac-man, Carcassone, Call of Duty 4, Avatar (yes, I know), Guitar Hero 3, Rainbox Six Vegas, Fight Night Round 3, Guitar Hero 2, Sensible World of Soccer, Bioshock (Game of the year 2007), Hexic, Undertow, Pimp my Ride (shudder), Sonic the Hedgehog, Zuma, Bully, King Kong, GTA IV, Battlefield Bad Company, Dead Space (Game of the Year 2008), Gears of War 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Uno, Dash of Destruction, Call of Duty World at War, Mass Effect, Peggle, Guitar Hero Metallica, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, You're in the Movies, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Battlefield 1943. Excluding Avatar for obvious reasons, Call of Duty 4 was my highest gamerscore for a single game with 800 points. The lowest was Zuma, with 20. The most achievements for a single game is actually tied beween Dead Space and Bioshock with 38. The lowest , again, was Zuma with 2. I am roughly averaging 120 gamerscore a week. It should be noted I did not get an Xbox 360 until September of 2006. Other interesting tidbits: I've spent $180 on XBLA games. I have an S rank in 6 retail games and 1 arcade game. Will I make it to 30k before April 2011? I'm going to say it's definitely possible.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jhosaphat

To appreciate the present I will look back to my first milestone, 10k in gamerscore. It was September 2007, and I had just finished the campaign in Halo 3 for a total gamerscore of 10036. It has taken me 1 year and 10 months to reach 20k. In that time span, I have played Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Ms. Pac-man, Carcassone, Call of Duty 4, Avatar (yes, I know), Guitar Hero 3, Rainbox Six Vegas, Fight Night Round 3, Guitar Hero 2, Sensible World of Soccer, Bioshock (Game of the year 2007), Hexic, Undertow, Pimp my Ride (shudder), Sonic the Hedgehog, Zuma, Bully, King Kong, GTA IV, Battlefield Bad Company, Dead Space (Game of the Year 2008), Gears of War 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Uno, Dash of Destruction, Call of Duty World at War, Mass Effect, Peggle, Guitar Hero Metallica, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, You're in the Movies, Guitar Hero World Tour, and Battlefield 1943. Excluding Avatar for obvious reasons, Call of Duty 4 was my highest gamerscore for a single game with 800 points. The lowest was Zuma, with 20. The most achievements for a single game is actually tied beween Dead Space and Bioshock with 38. The lowest , again, was Zuma with 2. I am roughly averaging 120 gamerscore a week. It should be noted I did not get an Xbox 360 until September of 2006. Other interesting tidbits: I've spent $180 on XBLA games. I have an S rank in 6 retail games and 1 arcade game. Will I make it to 30k before April 2011? I'm going to say it's definitely possible.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

The 20k mark is pretty significant; I reached it with The Godfather II earlier this year. I have played Avatar too, don't worry. It is an ignominy on my part. It has taken me awhile to advance from 20,000 but two days ago I hit the 22,000 mark. Pretty good, I guess. I will be renting some fun, easy point games like Wolverine and Bionic Commando soon so that should bring it up.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RetroIce4

Will I reach the 2k mark...?  Kidrobot...?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By dsplayer1010

Nice

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Nice. I just reached the 18k mark today, so I'm not too far behind you. However, since I got Verizon FiOS, I haven't been able to get my Xbox Live to work, so I called them today and they're sending a guy out later to fix the problem for me. Hopefully everything is resolved soon. Without being able to go on XBL, you guys at Giantbomb can't see my increased score. OH NO! WHATEVER WILL YOU DO?!!!

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'm at 11k-ish. I plan on beating your score & surpassing you. bwahahah.

waitaminnit.

I just checked your achievements. It appears you are an achievement whore. Most of your
    1000 "S" scores are all the easy ones!!  Subtract that crap & then we can see the real score.
    I learned early on that those easy achievements are just a waste of time & money.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60

I'm almost at the 30k mark!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Ah 20,000 gamerscore. Those were the days.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jhosaphat
    @Lind_L_Taylor:
    If Jeff Gerstmann is ok with it, then, I'm ok with it.
    rockstar428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rockstar428

I remember how disappointed I was when I hit 10,000.  I was hoping a message would pop up and congratulate me, but alas no such luck.  I don't even remember hitting 20,000 but I was stuck at 29,000 for awhile until just recently hitting  30,000 (which now I'm almost at 32,000-go figure)

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @jhosaphat said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor: If Jeff Gerstmann is ok with it, then, I'm ok with it. "

So if Jeff jumps off a bridge I guess that means you'll do the same?   Try to think for yourself.
    jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jhosaphat
    @Lind_L_Taylor:
    King Kong says "Hi!" Stop trolling
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    30 K bitch! :D

@Vinchenzo: 
    Are my eyes deceiving me, or do you have 111180 gamerscore?
    If you do, consider myself, amazed, and your biggest fan. :D
    Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deathdealer108

At this moment I'm at 30,606. It seems to take me about 6 months per 10,000 points. i did get 4,000 in one week though being a complete GS whore. Congrats on 20k. You officially passed the average 360 player to geek that like achievements mark with 20,000. If you pass 100,000 you either have OCD, or like a big e-penis.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By wosifat

Congratulations!  I'm still working towards 10,000 myself.  I've tried to limit myself to games that I can at least tolerate, so no Yaris.  I'm not touching the Kung Fu Panda that came with the Premium I just got.  That's over three years and change of on and off Xbox 360 ownership.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @wosifat said:
    " Congratulations!  I'm still working towards 10,000 myself.  I've tried to limit myself to games that I can at least tolerate, so no Yaris.  I'm not touching the Kung Fu Panda that came with the Premium I just got.  That's over three years and change of on and off Xbox 360 ownership. "
    Exactly. Get the achievements for the games you like, rather than crappy games you don't care about. We all only have so much free time for games after all, so we might as well make it count for something good. Maximize the best game time that you can & minimize gaming pollution.

@jhosaphat said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor: King Kong says "Hi!" Stop trolling "
    Heyy!!  Despite what people say, King Kong wasn't an easy 1000 achievement points.  I still wasted 6-8 hours to get them & the 3D effect of that game was nauseating. Why do you think I quit wasting my time on easy achievements?  It's a waste of time. Period.  Thinking for yourself actually works.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jhosaphat
    @Lind_L_Taylor:
    You're right, it does work. That's why I stopped playing King Kong halfway through it. I knew it wasn't worth it. I think you can look through my list and see I play plenty of legitimate games. With the exception of Avatar, I've put plenty of time into every game I've ever played on 360.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

You're achievement points are valid...except for these:

Fight Night Round 3
    TMNT
    NBA Live 06
    Madden NFL 06
    NBA 2k6
    College Hoops 2k6

So technically you're really at around ~13,000.  Not 20k.  Any game that gives you something for nothing isn't really an achievement now is it? It didn't require you to do anything but load the game. LOL.  Most of the sports games, Basketball, Football, or Baseball, give them away, from what I understand.  Unfortunately, my Virtua Tennis game didn't & the controls on the latest Tennis games have been pretty awful, but I digress.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

I'm sitting at 18,541 attained since November '06. It would/could be higher, but this past year, I've had less time to play games. My buddy and I used to be neck-and-neck as far as Gamerscore. He's played way more games than me this year, though. I think he's around 45,000.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jhosaphat
    @Lind_L_Taylor:
    Your logic is totally messed up. I played those sports games because I was genuinely interested in them. It's not my fault the developers couldn't come up with fantastic achievements for each of those games.  It doesn't mean I didn't put effort into playing each one of those games. I'm pretty sure anyone who played Sports games exclusively would have a problem with your reasoning. TMNT gave you points for completing each stage of the game. Guess what? I completed the game. That's an achievement. Not every achievement has to be the "High Mile Club".
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

And how about Fight Night Round 3??   You might have enjoyed it, but you aimed at getting easy ones.  I don't see any of the sports games that you played that had hard achievements...so that leaves me suspicious of your motivations.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " ...that leaves me suspicious of your motivations. "
    Does it really matter? I've NEVER played a game purely for points, but if there are people out there who enjoy this aspect of Achievements then good for them. I certainly don't begrudge people who do this. Well, maybe except for that Jeff guy.

EDIT: I forgot to say congrats to jhosaphat!
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Luke
    @jhosaphat: Grats man!  Now just don't ever "cheat" and have Microsoft take them away :( 
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By jNerd

I'm slowly creeping up to 10k It's going to be a gooooood feeling :)

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheMustacheHero

almost at 30k myself.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @buzz_clik said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " ...that leaves me suspicious of your motivations. "
    Does it really matter? I've NEVER played a game purely for points, but if there are people out there who enjoy this aspect of Achievements then good for them. I certainly don't begrudge people who do this. Well, maybe except for that Jeff guy.EDIT: I forgot to say congrats to jhosaphat! "
    Why not?  The achievement point system is nothing but a pissing contest. So if somebody goes out of their way to waste time on easy video games just to show they can piss farther, why the hell would I congratulate them?  They're not really pissing any farther. They're just wasting time, money, & resources to have a crappy game pop out 1000 points of meaninglessness.  Achievements should be tough to get, otherwise it's not really an achievement, by the very definition of the word.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " almost at 30k myself. "
    Doesn't show in your achievements section.  And hey: pat yourself on the back!
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking

I can't honestly remember what 20k was but my 10k was(sadly) Medal of Honor Airborne.  Nor can I remember what my 30k was.  Eh....

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Doesn't show in your achievements section.  And hey: pat yourself on the back! "
    Yeah, my Gamertag is shared with my brother, unfortunately he registered our gamertag on his account.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " They're just wasting time, money, & resources to have a crappy game pop out 1000 points of meaninglessness.  Achievements should be tough to get, otherwise it's not really an achievement, by the very definition of the word. "
    No, I meant what does it really matter to you? They're not wasting your time, money and resources, after all. Who cares if that's how someone else got their score? You play it the way you wanna, and they can do likewise.
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Time_Lord

Im almost at 20K. Ive got Star Wars: The Force Unleashed coming in the mail tomorrow which should get me the rest. I got it on sail for $30. Hopefully I don't get to distracted buy Persona 4 which I got for $15 it is in the same package. Dam you Endurance run you made me buy it.

Casedawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Casedawg

@Lind_L_Taylor:
    if easy achievements are such a big deal to you, then why don't you go out and make a game yourself with ridiculously hard achievements in it just to satisfy yourself. the things that other people do in their time should be of no concern to you, especially if its something as insignificant as a gamerscore.
    anyways congrats on reaching 10k. im about 60 points away from 20k but i can't stop playing bf1943 and gears 2 long enough to go and get the 60 points...

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Casedawg said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor:if easy achievements are such a big deal to you, then why don't you go out and make a game yourself with ridiculously hard achievements in it just to satisfy yourself. the things that other people do in their time should be of no concern to you, especially if its something as insignificant as a gamerscore. anyways congrats on reaching 10k. im about 60 points away from 20k but i can't stop playing bf1943 and gears 2 long enough to go and get the 60 points... "
    Hey look, an actual GOOD first post that isn't spam! Welcome to the site!
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Doesn't show in your achievements section.  And hey: pat yourself on the back! "
    Yeah, my Gamertag is shared with my brother, unfortunately he registered our gamertag on his account. "
    Darnsies.

@buzz_clik said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " They're just wasting time, money, & resources to have a crappy game pop out 1000 points of meaninglessness.  Achievements should be tough to get, otherwise it's not really an achievement, by the very definition of the word. "
    No, I meant what does it really matter to you? They're not wasting your time, money and resources, after all. Who cares if that's how someone else got their score? You play it the way you wanna, and they can do likewise. "

It matters to me because it's not something to brag about. There is enough malignant narcissism on the interwebs already.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By jakob187

Grats.

I'm debating on what game to hit my 30K with.  I've still got 810 to pull from NFS Most Wanted, and I'm working through Oblivion right now.  However, I want that 30K achievement to be a rare.  We'll see what happens.
    jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jhosaphat

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

"@TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Yeah, my Gamertag is shared with my brother, unfortunately he registered our gamertag on his account. "
    Darnsies.

@buzz_clik said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    No, I meant what does it really matter to you? They're not wasting your time, money and resources, after all. Who cares if that's how someone else got their score? You play it the way you wanna, and they can do likewise. "
    It matters to me because it's not something to brag about. There is enough malignant narcissism on the interwebs already."

Pretty sure I'm not bragging here. 20k in gamerscore is pretty common for people who read sites like Giant Bomb. I'm just saying I've got here, look what I've played. That's it. Let's not make mountains out of mole hills.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Casedawg said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor:if easy achievements are such a big deal to you, then why don't you go out and make a game yourself with ridiculously hard achievements in it just to satisfy yourself. "
    That's bullshit.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @jhosaphat said:
    "

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

"@TheMustacheHero said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    Darnsies.

@buzz_clik said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    It matters to me because it's not something to brag about. There is enough malignant narcissism on the interwebs already."

Pretty sure I'm not bragging here. 20k in gamerscore is pretty common for people who read sites like Giant Bomb. I'm just saying I've got here, look what I've played. That's it. Let's not make mountains out of mole hills. "
    I haven't seen that many with > 20k. Is there a list?  Also, it'd be easy to surpass you if I went off & rented the weenie games. Just not that interested.  What I'm trying to make interesting is the fact that harder achievements are something to be proud of. I think that's the entire point of the rare, common, & uncommon achievements out here on GB. It let's you stand out from the pack.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By Atlas

15,720 gamerpoints, and none of them through playing Avatar or King Kong. I plan to being at 25k by the end of the year.

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jhosaphat
    @Lind_L_Taylor:
    I'm done.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pie

Ever since giant bomb introduced this achievment tracking ive turned into such a whore (of achievments).Ive mainly been going through games getting easy achievments that i missed and replaying COD4 and COD:WAW on veteran difficulty

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By teptom

Congratulations.

I recently hit 10k.  It took me a year and half to get that. It'll probably take around the same to get 20k.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Atlas:
     I never understand the king kong one, that game is a total slog to get through and  anyone taht finishes deserves that 1000 gs

on easy points though...
    getting it in something like TMNT though is fine if you like turtles.... i mean Im pretty certain theres someone with the full1000 in avatar that actually got it genuinely whilst playing the game just because they like the franchise... I have nearly 60,000 and im glad a lot of other peoples milestone is at every 10,000... and well done... on the 20k im sure youll be heading for that 30 in no time
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Atlas said:
    " 15,720 gamerpoints, and none of them through playing Avatar or King Kong. I plan to being at 25k by the end of the year. "
    That's how I feel about it.  Though as another posted about KK it's a slog fest.  Took me 6+ hours & some motion sickness pills.  It's not easy at all.  I still remember this one "room" in the island that had dinosaurs all over the place & the only way through is killing these things with broken old dino bones!  I died a lot. It was awful.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By jakob187
    @Atlas said:
    " 15,720 gamerpoints, and none of them through playing Avatar or King Kong. I plan to being at 25k by the end of the year. "
    What is wrong with King Kong exactly?  
    It was a good game.  There is absolutely no shame in having played through it.  It's not like it's the gamer's fault that the developers didn't know how well the whole achievements thing was going to take off!!!  Michel Ancel was able to make a good licensed game, and people knock the game solely because it has 1,000 easy achievement points?!  Such bullshit.

People who complain about 1K on games like Fight Night Round 3 or King Kong need to wake up.  Those early launch titles cannot be held responsible for faults in DOING SOMETHING NEW.  Games like Avatar can.

With that said...I also see no problem in anyone playing through Terminator Salvation on hard for the full 1,000 points.  Why?  Because you still have to play through the fucking game to get them!!!  Again, don't fault the gamer for the developer's mistakes.  Only fault them if they glitch that shit.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By JJWeatherman

I have all 30k+ of my points WITHOUT Avatar thank you all very much. Also no King Kong. I do have a few easy sports games but I genuinely enjoyed those games and I felt like I had to get all their points because they were cake.

Good job on your milestone though and keep on truckin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.