Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision Blizzard, Inc.

Company »

Activision Blizzard is the result of a merger between Activision and Vivendi Games worth an estimated $18.9 billion dollars. The merger was approved by the European Commission and finalized on July 9th, 2008.

Activision Blizzard Splits From Vivendi in $8.2 Billion Deal

• 112 results
    paisan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're kinda big news, Rorie.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is WoW actually still the most played MMO? I'm not a betting man, but if I was my money would be with a bunch of free-to-play ones or something that's huge in China (Perfect World, maybe?).

brewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Intriguing.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

$8.2 billion deal, so Activision Blizzard gave that money to buy their independence? holy shit, that is so much money.

dutchbear10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The caption under the picture is the best part of this article.

Thank you @rorie

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

Well this is huge news, on the business side of the industry anyway.

That Vivendi-Activision made them the biggest publisher in the world. Now, they are mortal once again.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By RonGalaxy

Not sure if I should buy stock in the newly freed company when it goes public (again) or not. I just read an article about WoW being at an all time low for subscribers. Not to mention call of duty dropping in popularity by the year. And skylanders is about to be slaughtered by disney infinity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Bummer, for a second there I thought Blizzard split from Activision. One can always hope …

kingyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@paulunga: wow still has 7.7 million active subs, so yeah, still the biggest by a looong way :P

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Well not sure if Vivendi is doing much these days, would have been much bigger news if Blizzard took all the SC2/Wow money & split from Activision.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer, for a second there I thought Blizzard split from Activision. One can always hope …

I think a lot of people did the moment they saw this. What a shame it's not the case...

Avatar image for deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2
    deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Damn it. For a second I thought Kotick was leaving. :(

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

@rorie said:

@yukoasho: I have a feeling they were just looking to get out of gaming entirely. I'm betting their small investment in the new A/B is good enough for them for now.

Can't help but wonder why they were set to leave a super-profitable company, though. Other posts here suggest that Vivendi is in trouble... Maybe they needed some quick money for some reason...?

They're in debt by $17.3 billion.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's so Bobby!

chose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Activision Blizzard plans to finance the deal with about $1.2 billion of cash on hand and roughly $4.6 billion of debt, raised through the markets and bank financing"

I wonder for how much Bobby and his friends will buy back those $4.6 billion shares from small investors after the next tech crash.

Avatar image for teenagejesussuperstar
    TeenageJesusSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Does Call of Duty qualify for the IGF now?

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incoming $80 game price point?

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By TPoppaPuff

Damn it. For a second I thought Kotick was leaving. :(

Actually, he was part of a separate investment group that bought 172 million of those shares at $2.34 billion. So now he has even more control. :(

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Figures, Bobby ain't going nowhere!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@wandrecanada said:

Incoming $80 game price point?

No, if anything, it means Activision can finally let loose a little. I'm no economist, but the way it's been described to me is that Vivendi was bleeding Activision in an attempt to pay off its own massive debt. Vivendi is in a terrible financial spot. Consider that they just sold controlling interest in the most successful video game publisher in the world for a second. Activision hasn't been happy either, from what I've heard, having to essentially plug the dam with their fingers. That's why so many people have been curious to see if Bobby and company would buy back their freedom and risk severe debt or if they'd keep going with Vivendi and risk being sold off at a later date.

While Activision has some shitty practices and soulless "business" decisions, a lot of them really make sense when you consider that Activision is one of the few Vivendi groups that had been propping up that corpse like it was an episode of Weekend at Bernies.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

@techhits said:

lol Activision Blizzard is an indie dev.

My favorite part about all this is that that's totally an accurate statement. I also happen to totally hate the term "indie" so I guess that may be why.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

@techhits said:

lol Activision Blizzard is an indie dev.

best comment, i actually giggled. look for the CoD kickstarter this fall

Avatar image for deactivated-64b71541ba2cd
    deactivated-64b71541ba2cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D3 will continue to be crap :(

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You know, Robert, you could have used that money to help Detroit out. Just saying. I guess you hate the auto industry. And want American workers to fail. Fascist.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tencent is part of the buyback, and is passively becoming the most powerful company in gaming.

Tencent also owns League of Legends developer Riot Games, and almost half of Epic Games.

Shingro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Shingro

You know, as much as we like to rag on Kotick... I got to give him and Activision props in general for being the only large gaming company that hasn't fallen all over itself to appeal to the casual market. They make hardcore games for hardcore gamers, they haven't EA-ed everything up just because they're dominant, and if rumor (and what E3 stage they were primarily on) is to be believed they were the only large publisher to push against the Microsoft DRM restrictions.

So I'll fucking raise a glass to Bobby K if they keep remembering their main customer base is gamers, and not throw us under the bus to chase casual, tablet or mobile money like a seemingly endless processing of gaming companies are doing.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shingro: I would feel the same way if they didn't beat IPs into the ground by annualizing franchises that never should have been (Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Spider-Man)

pakattak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shingro: I'd argue that what you call 'casual' gaming is a hell of a lot more interesting than anything Activision's franchises have been making lately.

danlongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rorie Nice article dude! Hope to see more of them :)

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Who the fuck cares about this? Seriously? Do youcare? I sure as hell don't.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Within the whole of Activision Blizzard and Vivendi's partnership, we still never know if any of the business decisions made by Activision (annual IPs, few new IPs, movie licenses, etc) were anything decided by Vivendi more than Activision. With this deal, it means that Activision Blizzard is its own entity now. It does mean they have far less investors from an outside source making decisions about what they release, how they handle those releases, etc.

It could mean that Activision Blizzard ends up doing some risky stuff in terms of new IPs. It could mean that nothing changes. In the end, as long as Kotick is at the head of the table, we can guarantee it'll be interesting at least.

pandaboy99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Activision stock up 15% woo hoo! looks like Bobby Kotick is picking up the tab on my PS4!

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I wonder how they'll make even more money off WC4? SC2 has 2 expanions, D3 is pay-to-win, and WoW has a bunch of expansions and paid cosmetic items, so there's tons of tried-and-true choices.

Maybe they'll be creative and surprise us with some new way to make the game cost a bajillion dollars to play.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@yukoasho: Yup. They are something like $9 billion in debt, so $8 billion will come pretty close to paying that off meaning they can continue to exist. They did probably just sell off their most profitable division but it was probably the only one that could get them that type of money that quickly.

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This:

@shingro said:

You know, as much as we like to rag on Kotick... I got to give him and Activision props in general for being the only large gaming company that hasn't fallen all over itself to appeal to the casual market. They make hardcore games for hardcore gamers, they haven't EA-ed everything up just because they're dominant, and if rumor (and what E3 stage they were primarily on) is to be believed they were the only large publisher to push against the Microsoft DRM restrictions.

So I'll fucking raise a glass to Bobby K if they keep remembering their main customer base is gamers, and not throw us under the bus to chase casual, tablet or mobile money like a seemingly endless processing of gaming companies are doing.

courage_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

I became mildly interested when I saw the story about Vivendi wanting to take several billion dollars from Activision to pay their debt.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingyo said:

@paulunga: wow still has 7.7 million active subs, so yeah, still the biggest by a looong way :P

See, that's not a lot. Fantasy Westward Journey recently had almost 3 million different users logged in at the same time (with over 30 mil subscriptions), while WoW never even cracked two millions. I'm not sure how they stack up directly at the moment, but it just seems to me like it's extremely ignorant to consider WoW the biggest just because the huge Chinese market doesn't count for some reason.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought 1000 shares of ATVI when it was around $14 now it's at above $17 so this is awesome news for me.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juda said:

btw if you dislike the french so much, feel free to knock down the greatest sign of american-ism there is, since the french gave it to you. Yea, the statue of liberty.

Dont forget that America helped France survive in the world wars which I think makes up for a single statue.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get out of here stocker.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I also agree with this. Despite not really liking Call of Duty (I prefer Battlefield), I'll give props to Activision Blizzard for striking a good balance between gaming and business. People love to complain, they love to, about annual retreads of Call of Duty, but that is pretty much the case with any large publisher and their main franchises. So what if CoD is the same basic concept year-in/year-out, millions of people love it. If you do not, let those that do enjoy their entertainment as you would yours. I love Battlefield, and conceptually Battlefield 3 is the exact same thing as Battlefield: 1942.

One day we all might wake up and find that AB is the only real gaming company left. Scary thoughts.

This:

@shingro said:

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@paulunga said:

Is WoW actually still the most played MMO? I'm not a betting man, but if I was my money would be with a bunch of free-to-play ones or something that's huge in China (Perfect World, maybe?).

it still is by a wide margin.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

That's that wonderful sentiment I love to see-this doesn't affect me so why did you post it? *clap*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.