Vivendi selling their share on Activision-Blizzard

• 61 results
#51 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@rebgav Yeah but did it really make any sense for them to shell out nearly the same amount for Skype? I really haven't seen them do much with that unless I've missed some major news.
#52 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

In swoops EA.

#53 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

@Winternet said:

@blueduck: still, Blizzards earns about a billion dollars a year from wow subs. That's still tons of money.

Is that gross revenue or operating profit from Blizzard?

Subs cost 10$ month, right? If they have 8 million or 10 million, that makes around a billion dollars a year.

#54 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3759 posts) -

@alternate said:

@laserbolts said:

@Oldirtybearon: Did skylanders do well? It's almost like I can remember reading that it was very successful.

30 million toys sold. The actual game (not including all the attach rate of toys - claimed to be two to three times expectations) was the third biggest seller by dollar of Q1 2111.

@Winternet said:

I could only see Apple moving in on this. Would it make sense for them to make a move like that?

Or a media monster like Fox. Fox entering the videogame business?

It could, in that it has the cash, but Apple is very conservative and it has no experience in the sort of games AB make. It would be more likely to buy up some mobile firms and spin off their own hardware first. Even then, apple has shown no desire to get in to gaming. The margins are too small and it is happy to make the device and take a 30% cut of all sales.

While Jobs was around I would have said no way to this but now...who knows? I still think you're right it's pretty unlikely to happen but it would be an interesting move.

#55 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Guys, the buyer is not going to be another gaming company. If a buyer comes along, it will be a conglomerate like Vivendi. So think Disney, Comcast, etc.

#56 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

EA's worth about a third of what ActiBlizz is. I really don't think they're going to be buying them out anytime soon.

#57 Posted by Drebin_893 (2891 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Winternet said:

@blueduck: still, Blizzards earns about a billion dollars a year from wow subs. That's still tons of money.

Subs cost 10$ month, right? If they have 8 million or 10 million, that makes around a billion dollars a year.

Then it's irrelevant without know their running costs of maintaining that subscriber count.

#58 Posted by MC_Hify (319 posts) -

Are there even any companies with that much cash laying around besides Apple?

#59 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

@Winternet said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Winternet said:

Then it's irrelevant without know their running costs of maintaining that subscriber count.

That also doesn't factor in that the sub monthly is actually 15, or that there are non monthly plans that average out to costing less per month, or that these same plans make fewer payments in year meaning they effect how much Blizzard takes in on a monthly basis. This also ignores box sales of games, their cut of the diablo RMAH, blah blah blah. Short of us having their books in hand all we can do is make a semi educated but not really guess.

#60 Edited by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

People need to think less about the toal cost and more about the distribution of those shares. I wonder who in the bid for said shares could even get a contriolling share or will it be split up a million ways to hell. This brings into question though what Vivendi's relationship and role up until now was during Activisons meteoric rise to cash making. I agree that in a move to gain capital and offload what is a potentially tenuous investment going into the next console generation, Vivendi sees offloading Activision as a good idea. One more thing people forget how much licensed games and shovelware Activison actually publishes. The spongebob games that none of us play sell millions as did a shit ton of likewise DS titles.

#61 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Winternet said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Winternet said:

That also doesn't factor in that the sub monthly is actually 15, or that there are non monthly plans that average out to costing less per month, or that these same plans make fewer payments in year meaning they effect how much Blizzard takes in on a monthly basis. This also ignores box sales of games, their cut of the diablo RMAH, blah blah blah. Short of us having their books in hand all we can do is make a semi educated but not really guess.

I'm talking wow subs only. And I don't think a billion dollars isn't enough to cover costs. I mean, it's a billion dollars. If maintaining a mmorpg costs a billion dollars, then what the hell are you doing with your life?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.