Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision

Company »

Activision is the largest third-party publisher in the world. It became the first third-party developer for video game consoles, and is responsible for popular franchises such as Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk.

Activision is doing something right!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By zeforgotten

I just stumbled across this and I would just like to say, that is fucking fantastic. 
    I don't know if everyones seen it yet, or how old the news is. 
    But that's fucking great in my eyes. Kudos to the people at Activision 

So they apparantly can do something right. 
    You you disagree, that's fine. You heartless bastards 

Now what I would like to hear is your opinion on game companies doing stuff like this? 
    Do you think more of them should do this? And if you do, why? 
    And also if you don't think so, then why not?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zeforgotten

I just stumbled across this and I would just like to say, that is fucking fantastic. 
    I don't know if everyones seen it yet, or how old the news is. 
    But that's fucking great in my eyes. Kudos to the people at Activision 

So they apparantly can do something right. 
    You you disagree, that's fine. You heartless bastards 

Now what I would like to hear is your opinion on game companies doing stuff like this? 
    Do you think more of them should do this? And if you do, why? 
    And also if you don't think so, then why not?

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

A little philanthropy doesn't seem that out of the ordinary for a corporation of Activision's size. A good cause though, without a doubt.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Suicrat

Considering they're deriving profits from the glorification (and in some segments of the story, the questioning) of war, there is no reason not to be in support of this. Though the issue of veterans' health is far larger than 1 million dollars of donated money, to be perfectly honest.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Suicrat: Far larger than 1 million dollars indeed.  
    But it states that the 1 million dollars is just to set this thing up.  
    So down the line we might be talking a hell of a lot more than "just" 1 million, at least that's my understanding, feel free to prove me wrong on that though.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy

Its a good cause and any bit of money going to the cause is a good thing. Hopefully in time, they will do even more since as we all know, they certainly can afford it.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Ujio
    @Suicrat said:

" Considering they're deriving profits from the glorification (and in some segments of the story, the questioning) of war, there is no reason not to be in support of this."

That's a bit of jump, don't you think? Whenever I play any war game I'm certainly not saying to myself, "Geez! That's so cool! I wish I were there!" Quite the opposite, games like this should serve to dissuade any sort of glorification. True, it's a game meant for entertainment purposes, but approached with the correct mindset you can see how these games should be construed as anything but glorious. Schindler's List was a movie for entertainment purposes but does that mean Spielberg was glorifying the Nazi atrocities or the Jews' suffering? No. The only thing glorious is the real sacrifice soldiers make every day as they serve their country. Other than that there's not much to celebrate about war or the ramifications of it.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brunchies

It's good that Activision is donating money to a good cause, I hope they donate more in the future. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Suicrat
    @Ujio said:

" @Suicrat said:

" Considering they're deriving profits from the glorification (and in some segments of the story, the questioning) of war, there is no reason not to be in support of this."

That's a bit of jump, don't you think? Whenever I play any war game I'm certainly not saying to myself, "Geez! That's so cool! I wish I were there!" Quite the opposite, games like this should serve to dissuade any sort of glorification. True, it's a game meant for entertainment purposes, but approached with the correct mindset you can see how these games should be construed as anything but glorious. Schindler's List was a movie for entertainment purposes but does that mean Spielberg was glorifying the Nazi atrocities or the Jews' suffering? No. The only thing glorious is the real sacrifice soldiers make every day as they serve their country.Other than that there's not much to celebrate about war or the ramifications of it. "
    I would argue that every global citizen who promotes the underlined idea is tacitly admitting responsibility for the horrors of war.

Unlike Schindler's List, which is a movie depicting the horror of subjugating individual will for the good of a country, Call of Duty is a video game, which makes it seem like dying for your country can either be "fun" if you're a sociopath or "glorious" if you're a sycophant.

But maybe I'm reading too much into things....
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

To play the devil's advocate, it doesn't exactly make up for their less-than-reputable business practices. Kind donation, but it doesn't exactly relate to the way they make games.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CowMuffins

Activision can write it up on their taxes as a charitable donation and get a deduction of 2 million. Or something, I don't know how taxes work, I havn't done them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Bobby Kotick is going to be angry when he hears they did this behind his back.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Famov

So, who has done more good? A rich man who gives lots of money, which is a small fraction of his total worth, or the poor man who gives mere change to charity, though it was all he had to his name? 

To this butchered version of the original parable, Jesus would choose the poor man. 

However I disagree. I will not judge something by various dumb conditions. I do not care about Activision's greater intent as a soulless corporation that makes money off the glorification of war. One million dollars to our esteemed veterens is far more than I will ever give, and so I really do appreciate what they've done. The way this country treats its veterens is criminal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.