Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d you steal our garbage?!!

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

The Adventure Time animated series meets Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in this wacky platformer for the Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS.

Is anyone else picking this up?

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Camosid

I'm not exactly sure if the show has a huge following on Giantbomb or not, but I am a fan of both that and Zelda 2 so I took the dive. My copy arrived today a day early and I just started playing. I like it quite a lot but I have no idea how much of it is due to my love of the show and the humor VS the gameplay. It plays a lot like Zelda 2 except that you don't level by killing enemies you can only level by finding secret Wizard Stars. Overall the music, sprite's, and humor have all been fantastic and I liked the first dungeon a lot. Is anyone else picking this game up or interested, because if so I could answer questions about it since the coverage has been pretty barren on this game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I thought Zelda 2 was something of a black sheep in the Zelda franchise?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Commisar123

I'm picking it up, love the show and I really hope that this isn't some shovel-ware piece of crap

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Camosid

It's definitely not Shovelware so far I just can't tell how good it is because I am blinded by my love. Zelda 2 is a blacksheep but I always thought it was kinda interesting I never ended up beating it all the way. There are side-quests and the writing is fantastic. All the characters feel just right. The side quests are kinda fetchy making me go through areas that are like the caves in Zelda 2. I have fought 2 bosses one was Donny the Grass Ogre and the other was a Bear with a Chainsaw on it's back. I did one dungeon and got Jake to have 1 combat ability and 1 overworld ability. The way he got his Overworld ability was the funniest thing in the game so far.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I didn't realize it was out. I should probably get it. It's a Wayforward joint, right?

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Camosid

Yea it's actually supposed to be out tomorrow, but the copy I ordered showed up today for some reason. Wayfoward did it and so far I am really digging it. It would be neat if we got a QL, but I doubt it considering it's Thanksgiving week and this is pretty out of GB's wheelhouse. Although they might be interested in a Zelda 2 like game.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By FightMeNerd

I'm picking it up. It is pretty out of the usual games that giant bomb covers so probably no quick look. Though they looked at that terribad thunder cats game though so I have hope they might look at it. Also brad is totally a way forward fan I think so if he knew about it he might bite the bullet.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#8  Edited By jeffrud

Did you get the DS or 3DS version? I bought a DSi XL a few months ago, have recently gotten into the show, and enjoy both old NES titles and WayForward's stuff. I'd like to play this without dropping for a 3DS, especially if they're basically the same game.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Camosid

@jeffrud: I got the 3DS version and it looks real good. I like the 3D but you could totally live without it. It's just paralax scrolling. I think the only difference is some songs are only in the 3DS one. I am guessing those are the ones with words maybe? I can't imagine it's that different at all I am pretty sure that besides the songs Wayfoward said they have content parody.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BisonHero

Please enjoy this complementary video of Reggie asking the game's titular question:

loyalroyal1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By loyalroyal1989

I was really looking forward to this game as i love the series does anyone know if this is coming out in Europe as i cant seem to find it anywhere

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Camosid

As far as I know it's not releasing in europe right now. I am pretty sure if you wanted to you could import the DS version and play it on an old DS. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to europe though I hear theres a decent following of the show over there.

loyalroyal1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By loyalroyal1989

That's a shame I guess I am importing a DS version then cheers for the info.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By MildMolasses

I only just saw the name of this from the recent forums activity on the front page. I am shocked this is not a Prinny game

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By DoctorTran

I actually picked up the CE of this. now I have a hollow Aluminum copy of the Enchiridion!!

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joeyoe31

I'm seriously considering it since WayForward is making the game.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sploder

Alex said on Twitter last week that he'd review it.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeanCoughing

Man if I had a DS I'd be all over this, I'm constantly smiling like an idiot watching this show.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Camosid

I beat it twice since I got it now once new game plus and one normal. It took about 8 hours for me I suppose. It's super fun and some of the boss battles get really awesome. The dialogue is funny and super accurate to adventure time and if you pay attention

occasionally reveals things about the greater world. If Alex is reviewing it maybe they will do a quick look I am super interested in what people who have no idea about anything Adventure Time think about it.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Tolman

@Camosid: I've played about an hour of it so far, is a single playthrough 8 hours or are you saying its 8 hours with two playthroughs?

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Camosid

@The_Tolman: A single playthrough took my 8 hours. I was playing from 4 to 12 pretty much straight and I got lost a couple times but not for long.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Camosid

@The_Tolman: I looked at my Activity log to get a more accurate time and it says about 6 hours per playthrough there. Par for the course for Wayfoward really. As much as I love their games and they never ever seem to have any bugs they always tend to be painfully short.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By DoctorTran

So far the only thing that I don't like is the save system. It just makes sense to me that you would be able to use BMO to save whenever but... whatever! I still enjoy it.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By amlabella

@Camosid: Thanks for the thoughts on the game, this one kind of flew under my radar even though I'm a fan of the show. I'll probably go ahead and get it for my DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think I just may Gamefly this since, as stated, Wayforward games are typically short.

Also, bold prediction: I bet Jeff hates Adventure Time.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#26  Edited By jacksukeru

@believer258 said:

It kinda is because it's very different from every other Zelda. It's the only Zelda that has experience points and leveling up, a limited number of lives (but unlimited continues), random encounters on the world map and it is a sidescroller.

It's not a bad game though.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I picked this up on Friday. Seems pretty cool.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaggE

I'm just chilling on the splash screen right now. Who needs a game when you can just listen to this amazing song all day?

Edit: Okay, this is actually a really decent little game. The writing is hilarious, which I expected, but the gameplay totally backs it up. The only issues I have are the lack of player direction and the constant to-and-fro through the platforming vignettes.

"JAKE HAS BEEN FORCED TO CONCEPTUALIZE BEING A BRIDGE" may be the funniest line of 2012.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@Rmack said:

Also, bold prediction: I bet Jeff hates Adventure Time.

This sounds about right. I'd actually like a grumpy Jeff quick look though.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I totally thought this was shovelware. I will totally pick this up now.

TwelveFootFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwelveFootFour

im loving the game. its easy enough. i did get stuck trying to prove a babys innocence for a bit.

also my girl has it for 3ds and i have it on the ds.the only difference is sharpness and the 3ds is pulled back a bit

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BBQBram

@JackSukeru said:

@believer258 said:

It kinda is because it's very different from every other Zelda. It's the only Zelda that has experience points and leveling up, a limited number of lives (but unlimited continues), random encounters on the world map and it is a sidescroller.

It's not a bad game though.

I'd venture to say it's a great game, but a horrible Zelda game. Not that it's worse when compared to the others, just that compared to the Zelda conventions it's so far out of left field it barely even registers as a Zelda game to anyone who didn't grow up with it. Friend of mine swears by it while I have only a passing academic interest in it's existence.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By jacksukeru

@BBQBram: It is on my list of favorite videogames so sure, I really like it, but a lot of that is fueled by familiarity and nostalgia. I enjoy playing through it every so often.

It's kind of funny though that the second Zelda game would be so different and "un-Zelda like" when there really wasn't any sort of pattern to follow at the time of its release, and that it's only in hindsight that you could really label it as such.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By procrasturbate

Had it preordered for my daughter for the 3DS. It's the collector's box edition. Saving it for Cristmas. Show's incredible.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BBQBram

@JackSukeru said:

@BBQBram: It is on my list of favorite videogames so sure, I really like it, but a lot of that is fueled by familiarity and nostalgia. I enjoy playing through it every so often.

It's kind of funny though that the second Zelda game would be so different and "un-Zelda like" when there really wasn't any sort of pattern to follow at the time of its release, and that it's only in hindsight that you could really label it as such.

Absolutely right, it is kind of unfounded to call it "un-Zelda-like", as you put it. However I can't see that specific formula adapting as well to polygonal 3D gaming the way A Link to the Past's blueprint has. I bet some people in a parallel universe are having this conversation in reverse! I wonder what the modern Zelda style would be in that theoretical timeline.

TomCostello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TomCostello

Curse you Nintendo and your region locking.

Any word of an EU release?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.