Natsume Steps Up And Says "Enough! We Are Bringing Afrika To North America!"

Posted by Jeff (3349 posts) -
Makes for some great stills... good thing it's a photography game, then!
At first it was a game that no one ever expected would make its way out of Japan. Then some word started fluttering around, claiming that National Geographic was going to get involved. But nothing came of it, and Sony's Afrika seemed doomed to never make it to North America.

Today, Natsume stepped up and announced that it would be bringing the safari game over here in the early Fall. It will be the company's first PlayStation 3 release.

In a past life, I probably would have exploded over this news. Afrika was one of the PlayStation 3's great mysteries. Unfortunately, with all the time that has passed since Afrika's Japanese release, I went ahead and imported a copy. It seems kind of bad. Ryan played a bit more of it than I did and had this to say about it, in case you want to know more.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3349 posts) -
Makes for some great stills... good thing it's a photography game, then!
At first it was a game that no one ever expected would make its way out of Japan. Then some word started fluttering around, claiming that National Geographic was going to get involved. But nothing came of it, and Sony's Afrika seemed doomed to never make it to North America.

Today, Natsume stepped up and announced that it would be bringing the safari game over here in the early Fall. It will be the company's first PlayStation 3 release.

In a past life, I probably would have exploded over this news. Afrika was one of the PlayStation 3's great mysteries. Unfortunately, with all the time that has passed since Afrika's Japanese release, I went ahead and imported a copy. It seems kind of bad. Ryan played a bit more of it than I did and had this to say about it, in case you want to know more.
Staff
#2 Posted by Oy (278 posts) -

...huh....um...first?

#3 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1532 posts) -

The game sounds bad from everything I've seen about it.  Hopefully Sony doesn't go too much out of their way because I don't see the game selling.

#4 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I say we flip a coin on whether itll be any good or not.

#5 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

about damn time.. i played the import at a friends and ive been wanting it since but didn't want to import it.

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -

Kick ass!  I've always wanted to try this game.

#7 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Bazoring

#8 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

Dammit. Now that damn Toto song will be in stuck in my head all day. Thanks, Bomb!

#9 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

Hmmm....
Its gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Can you get attacked by rebels? If not, no buy.

#11 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

I almost feel like this Afrika game is more of a tech demo...

"Look at what the PS3 can do! All of these animals, so beautifully rendered! And the light, the way it falls there..."
Cough.
"So you can take pictures of 'em."

#12 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

Hey, I remember hearing about this game way back before the PS3 was in stores.  I didn't even realize it was out in Japan, I thought it just died.

#13 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -

Great, Ive been wanting this game for some time. Lucky me I did not import it before :D

#14 Edited by Death_Burnout (3769 posts) -

*ahem* European release pleeease?

I straight up want Afrika regardless of how good it is...like in the same way i want Duke Nukem Forever, only in a much much smaller way.

#15 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

We just need Afrika: Origins Undisputed to come next!

#16 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Good to see Natsume is publishing - Less pressure on Sony.

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (12989 posts) -

Great- but I'd much rather see a new Pokemon Snap!

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -
TooWalrus said:
Great- but I'd much rather see a new Pokemon Snap!
Me to actually.  :-)
#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14001 posts) -

When is Nintendo finally going to give us our true Pokemon Snap successor, with more safari and less track?

#20 Posted by dagas (2711 posts) -

any hype surrounding this game has been dead a long time...

#21 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Sweet. Now we just need Aquanauts to come to America.

#22 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -
RHCPfan24 said:
We just need Afrika: Origins Undisputed to come next!
Afrika: Origins Undisputedly Uncaged Edition (Remix)
#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14001 posts) -
Bwast said:
RHCPfan24 said: We just need Afrika: Origins Undisputed to come next! Afrika: Origins Undisputedly Uncaged Edition (Remix) [more]
Totally Party
#24 Posted by PLWolf (907 posts) -

As long as it's only $40 that'll be cool. You can already get the, full english, korean version from import sites like play-asia.com for $40

#25 Posted by TheHBK (5411 posts) -

Oh yeah...Afrika....That came out in Japan?  When the fuck did that happen?  Why was Sony hyping and showing trailers for this game so much when it didn't look like anything other than a showpiece.  And 3 years after we first saw it, it comes out to no fanfare?  Sony is still fucking up.  This should have been a fucking hunting game.  Where you get to fight a lion with your bare hands and have to conquer afrika after it had been abandoned by all the people and tribes that keep killing themselves over there.

#26 Posted by goatmilk (178 posts) -

The asian version of this has full english. I've had it for a while and it's about as amazing as you would expect. I jump whenever I see a Rhino on national geographic now, since they loooove to charge you and that makes all of the photos on your camera disappear.

#27 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

sounds boring as hell

#28 Posted by Arjuna (887 posts) -
@Thunder: Hell isn't boring.  Hell is very exciting.
#29 Posted by Blazer74 (186 posts) -

Playstation 3 fans you now hae your killer app. Finally!

#30 Posted by JackiJinx (3083 posts) -

Unless this game gets invaded with Pokémon, I'm not interested.

#31 Posted by the_purgatory_station (394 posts) -

heh heh Afrika

#32 Posted by SuperJoe (854 posts) -

Will the DLC include a hunting mod?

#33 Posted by Godlovesugly (276 posts) -

The Afrika thread at GAF seems to have nothing but praise for this game, I guess playing it in japanese like Ryan did causes too many problems to fully enjoy it?

#34 Posted by RVonE (4483 posts) -

So, the tech is in place. Nothing should prevent them from making a new Pokemon Snap.

#35 Posted by Delta_Ass (3231 posts) -

So... is Afrika supposed to be Africa under a communist regime?

#36 Posted by get2sammyb (6413 posts) -

YES! I actually really want to play this.

#37 Posted by lord_canti (1489 posts) -

wouldent it need to have trophies? what the hell would they be? gold trophie take a picture of a penguin

#38 Posted by MeatSim (10609 posts) -

Once the mystery of what this game was about was gone everyone lost interested fast. 

#39 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

With a K

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.