Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Afro Samurai

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jan 27, 2009

Based on the animated series and manga of the same name, Afro Samurai is a character action game that pits Afro (voiced by Samuel L. Jackson) against a horde of enemies. Published and developed by Namco Bandai Games Inc. with the help of Surge.

Afro-zone

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

Edited By TheGamerGeek
    Afro!... and cigarette!

So, you like Samuel Jackson, eh? Oh, you like Afro's and Samurai's, you say? Well good sir/ma'am, Afro Samurai may be just the game for you! Yes, I do have Afro Samurai and yes, it is semi-shoopadoopy.

At the beginning of the game, I got pretty sucked in, great blood, terrific cell-shaded graphics, and a huge Afro, who wouldn't love it? In all serious-ness, at first I'm thinking, this is great, why would you not love it? And well, at like the beginning of the fourth chapter, you understand.

I mean, the graphics remain OK, despite the fact I ran into an ass-load of frame-rate drops in the second chapter. The blood still
    No you!
    No you!
    beautiful and chopping body parts off is still visually satisfying. The main shit rain that pushes this game down is the difficulty and the platforming. Now, the platforming isn't that bad, it's the whole thing of having to run around then do some small thing just to open a path. In other games, that's great, but in this game, it's just awkward and frustrating. I spent over 30 minutes just walking around some area just to find out I had to walk back all the way to the beginning of the level...

Probably if you've read anything about the boss battles you know they're pretty freaking bad. Well, actually I didn't find them hard I just fount them...demanding... I'm about at the end of the halfway point of this game and I've only fought one big fight that was bad. It expected me to automatically know that you have to dash towards the guy and do vertical strikes, it sounds simple but I'm not a bright crayon, so it wasn't.

With that being said, I want to address the good things: The voice acting is superb. Your character is great, Samuel pulls off that annoying friend roll and (this isn't a spoiler so calm down) your Dad is dead at the beginning of the game and you see him at one point just gasping for air and you hear his dry throat heaving, ah, it's oh so good. The enemies all pull off some OK performances but Mr. Jackson is by far the best, I can't just credit him, the writing was pretty great also.

As the Rza would say, this soundtrack is the shoopadoop (I just had to say it again). I'm not a big fan of rap or anything and there's not to much rap in there but the small part that is, I love it. The overall beat that goes on during big fights makes you want to tap your feet and make made-up lyrics.

So, Afro Samurai is good but kinda bad, yep.

Ahhhh, it's a demo!
    Ahhhh, it's a demo!
    Well, I downloaded the Killzone 2 demo and I just have to dedicate like a paragraph to it.... yep, it's pretty good. I just want to say I'm gonna hop onto the happy wagon and say this is the prettiest game I've ever witnessed. So since I just payed it a big compliment I'm gonna throw some bad things out then wrap up this blog.

I ran into quite a bit of cheap deaths, it feels as if that sometimes you can take 15 shots and sometimes you'll die in just like 3 shots. Also, getting in and out of cover seems awkward and janky. It feels like my head is always sticking out and that leads me to believe that I'm gonna be shot in the head...

There you go, Killzone and Afro Samurai wrapped up in like... paragraph form! Hope you liked it, see you all next time.
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    Afro!... and cigarette!

So, you like Samuel Jackson, eh? Oh, you like Afro's and Samurai's, you say? Well good sir/ma'am, Afro Samurai may be just the game for you! Yes, I do have Afro Samurai and yes, it is semi-shoopadoopy.

At the beginning of the game, I got pretty sucked in, great blood, terrific cell-shaded graphics, and a huge Afro, who wouldn't love it? In all serious-ness, at first I'm thinking, this is great, why would you not love it? And well, at like the beginning of the fourth chapter, you understand.

I mean, the graphics remain OK, despite the fact I ran into an ass-load of frame-rate drops in the second chapter. The blood still
    No you!
    No you!
    beautiful and chopping body parts off is still visually satisfying. The main shit rain that pushes this game down is the difficulty and the platforming. Now, the platforming isn't that bad, it's the whole thing of having to run around then do some small thing just to open a path. In other games, that's great, but in this game, it's just awkward and frustrating. I spent over 30 minutes just walking around some area just to find out I had to walk back all the way to the beginning of the level...

Probably if you've read anything about the boss battles you know they're pretty freaking bad. Well, actually I didn't find them hard I just fount them...demanding... I'm about at the end of the halfway point of this game and I've only fought one big fight that was bad. It expected me to automatically know that you have to dash towards the guy and do vertical strikes, it sounds simple but I'm not a bright crayon, so it wasn't.

With that being said, I want to address the good things: The voice acting is superb. Your character is great, Samuel pulls off that annoying friend roll and (this isn't a spoiler so calm down) your Dad is dead at the beginning of the game and you see him at one point just gasping for air and you hear his dry throat heaving, ah, it's oh so good. The enemies all pull off some OK performances but Mr. Jackson is by far the best, I can't just credit him, the writing was pretty great also.

As the Rza would say, this soundtrack is the shoopadoop (I just had to say it again). I'm not a big fan of rap or anything and there's not to much rap in there but the small part that is, I love it. The overall beat that goes on during big fights makes you want to tap your feet and make made-up lyrics.

So, Afro Samurai is good but kinda bad, yep.

Ahhhh, it's a demo!
    Ahhhh, it's a demo!
    Well, I downloaded the Killzone 2 demo and I just have to dedicate like a paragraph to it.... yep, it's pretty good. I just want to say I'm gonna hop onto the happy wagon and say this is the prettiest game I've ever witnessed. So since I just payed it a big compliment I'm gonna throw some bad things out then wrap up this blog.

I ran into quite a bit of cheap deaths, it feels as if that sometimes you can take 15 shots and sometimes you'll die in just like 3 shots. Also, getting in and out of cover seems awkward and janky. It feels like my head is always sticking out and that leads me to believe that I'm gonna be shot in the head...

There you go, Killzone and Afro Samurai wrapped up in like... paragraph form! Hope you liked it, see you all next time.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Jackel2072

the thing i have determined about the Killzone 2 cover system, is that being behind cover does not mean you are 100% safe. it just simply increases your chances of survival, but you are still vulnerable to attack. Yes the game is quite pretty and the frame rate seems solid! i just wish they gave us a MP demo rather then a single player demo.  

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By insanegamer

afro samuri is not a game i want to play but after reading up on it i might check it out. i havnt downloaded the demo yet but i dont know if i will but it still sounds like it will be fun game when i get it at the end of feb.

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I liked the Killzone 2 demo but it seemed a ittle too short for my taste. Being a huge fan of the original Killzone, I was really hoping for more. Oh well, just gotta wait till the 27th

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Xandurson

Oh I just love how you wrapped those games up in paragraph form rather than run-on sentence form lol. Afro Samurai looks bad and Killzone 2 I want so bad but I don't own a PS3 so I can't get it. Oh well, thanks for the wrap-up.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Afro Samurai is a terrible game  yuk

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "Afro Samurai is a terrible game  yuk"
    Oh come one. If you're a fan of the show, you can handle some camera issues!

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGamerGeek

NO! Afro Saumrai isn't terrible! Just terrible in platforming, boss fights, and camera work, everything else is great!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    LiquidPrince said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:
    "Afro Samurai is a terrible game  yuk"
    Oh come one. If you're a fan of the show, you can handle some camera issues!

"
    AWE C,moooooooooooon The game should be good on its own

TheGamerGeek
    said:
    "NO! Afro Saumrai isn't terrible! Just terrible in platforming, boss fights, and camera work, everything else is great!"
    IMO Combat is extremely repetitive , the game is a bit shallow and the story is nothing to talk about 
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I understand why you'd think that. I love the story, though.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By Captain_Fookup

It's a joint with marijuana, not a cigarette. Well with the new series coming out, SURGE will be making a game for it and hopefully they improve on the boss fights, platforming, and horrible camera angles.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I apologize for my mistake of thinking it was a cigarette. And yea, I have a feeling Surge is gonna milk the hell out of this franchise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.