Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

After Burner Climax

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 19, 2006

A sequel to the classic After Burner arcade games, After Burner Climax is an arcade game in which players pilot a jet fighter through hectic, enemy-filled set pieces. Seated in a special moving cabinet, gamers use a piloting stick to control their jet of choice from a 3rd person view.

After Burner Climax On It's Way To Consoles (Rumour)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

http://sega-afterburner.com/abc_cs/

Out on April 21st

After Burner Climax for XLA and PSN has been confirmed by Famitsu magazine in Japan today.  According to the magazine, both versions will mirror that of the arcade version, however, there will also be new options - "EX Options." These EX Options allow you to play around with various settings in the game, like making your ship invincible, switching on auto lock-on, and setting Climax Mode to infinite. The options can be combined as the player pleases, and are unlocked by clearing certain currently unspecified conditions in the game. 

Arcade

Replicates the arcade version of Climax. You can adjust difficulty in the Settings menu.

EX Options

As you clear certain conditions in arcade mode, you'll unlock special options that can be used to modify the play experience -- making yourself invincible, giving yourself unlimited shots, and so-forth.    

• Credits
    • Lives
    • Lock On Cursor Size
    • Missile Count
    • Auto Missile
    • Gun Attack Strength
    • Auto Gun
    • Climax Gauge
    • Armor
    • Enemy Attack
    • Screen Display
    • Jet Speed
    • Combo Connection Time
    • Secret Mission

Score Attack

Attempt to get the highest score possible while playing through to the final stage with unlimited lives. You can't change difficulty, nor can you use EX options. This mode is compatible with online rankings.

Medal Collection

As you play Score Attack mode, you'll unlock special medals. Medal categories have bronze, silver and gold levels. The official site notes that if you get gold in one category, you won't be able to go back and get silver and bronze.

Training

Select a single stage and replay it over and over for practice. You can set your difficulty. You have access only to stages that you've played in arcade mode.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

That game's from 2006 and still looks fucking good. If it sells maybe we'll see a new Panzer Dragoon... Please? And more arcade ports, SEGA!

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By webby

Probably PSN and XBL, either way...Awesome
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've never played this before but considering the fact that I enjoy the Ace Combat series I guess I should fine something good in this one way or another.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Yea, saw when it was posted on Joystiq yesterday.  Pretty happy about it, was hoping it'd get a home version.  It uses the same hardware in arcades as Virtua Fighter 5, and it's probably a really good idea to make it a downloadable game.  Maybe it'll be PSN only if it's a very large download?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:

" That game's from 2006 and still looks fucking good. If it sells maybe we'll see a new Panzer Dragoon... Please? And more arcade ports, SEGA!

"

Hideki Kamiya wants Sega to give him the arcade machine as a bonus for achieving success with Bayonetta.  

The original runs on Lindberg (2005) : 

Pentium 4 3.0GHz with 1MB L2 Cache, HT, 800MHz FSB
    Dual Channel 1GB PC3200 System RAM
    NVIDIA GPU with 256-bit 256MB GDDR3 Video RAM
    3D Audio Synthesizer Chip, 64 Channels, 5.1 Output
    10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet
    4 x USB 2.0 Ports
    Games Distributed on DVD 

I think it's safe to say it will appear on both consoles eventually. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Hope this does get an XBLA release.  I need me some Afterburner action!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's been confirmed. OP edited.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond said:
    " Yea, saw when it was posted on Joystiq yesterday.  Pretty happy about it, was hoping it'd get a home version.  It uses the same hardware in arcades as Virtua Fighter 5, and it's probably a really good idea to make it a downloadable game.  Maybe it'll be PSN only if it's a very large download? "
    I'd say the likelihood of seeing this on PC also seems hopeful considering that the arcade machine uses Lindbergh hardware.  We didn't get Virtua Fighter 5 from this gen but we did get last gen's Outrun 2002 and Coast to Coast, which were based on original XBOX hardware AKA Chihiro.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

Famitsu Scan 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond
    I'm glad to be seeing the hard confirmation and actual screenshots.  $10 confirmed too!  Looking forward to it.  Confirmed on XBLA and PSN.

@SeriouslyNow said:
    I'd say the likelihood of seeing this on PC also seems hopeful considering that the arcade machine uses Lindbergh hardware.  We didn't get Virtua Fighter 5 from this gen but we did get last gen's Outrun 2002 and Coast to Coast, which were based on original XBOX hardware AKA Chihiro.
    As far as it goes, I don't think arcade hardware origins really matter to game makers when considering ports.  Maybe it'll come, maybe it won't.  It's hard to predict what Sega will do.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond said:
    " I'm glad to be seeing the hard confirmation and actual screenshots.  $10 confirmed too!  Looking forward to it.  Confirmed on XBLA and PSN.

@SeriouslyNow said:
    As far as it goes, I don't think arcade hardware origins really matter to game makers when considering ports.  Maybe it'll come, maybe it won't.  It's hard to predict what Sega will do. "
    That's not true of SEGA at all.  The Dreamcast was inundated with ports of NAOMI games.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    That's not true of SEGA at all.  The Dreamcast was inundated with ports of NAOMI games.
    Well OK you have a point there.  The thing is Lindbergh isn't every PC.  To port the game to PC they'd have to make it run on Windows (supposedly runs in Linux in arcades), run on mobos other than their custom mobo, have to run on videocards that aren't a Geforce 6800GT, make it run on CPUs that aren't a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz.  There is no doubt on my mind that they did a lot of low level coding.  Just look at Virtua Fighter 5, it looks far better than any PC game running on that same hardware.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond:
    No.  They don't do low level coding mate.  These are just DirectX games with locked down security based a combination a decrypting chip and encrypted DVD which holds the original game.  It's standard JAMMA designed methodology for saleable, serviceable and easily upgradeable arcade boxes.

Lindberg is nothing special by current standards, it's not even dual core and the GPU is basically a 7800 from memory.

Chihiro was just an XBOX with more RAM.  

This has been standard practice dating back to the ST-V Titan systems which were based the SEGA Saturn.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow: Of course they do low level coding!  They're not running DirectX on Linux...

No doubt Lindberg is low specs, my old PC had almost those exact specs and I know I never saw anything near to VF5's quality in any game.

Naomi was developed to make easy Dreamcast ports, Titan was developed for easy Saturn ports.  Lindbergh was designed to have cheap highish end hardware in arcades, not to make PC ports.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Diamond:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Day one purchase.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Diamond said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: Of course they do low level coding!  They're not running DirectX on Linux...  No doubt Lindberg is low specs, my old PC had almost those exact specs and I know I never saw anything near to VF5's quality in any game.  Naomi was developed to make easy Dreamcast ports, Titan was developed for easy Saturn ports.  Lindbergh was designed to have cheap highish end hardware in arcades, not to make PC ports. "
    Damn I keep forgetting that they didn't go with the 360/DX which they had originally planned for.  Linux means an even lower chance of low level coding.  Everything is abstracted away in Linux. OpenGL is a very powerful APi if you know what to do with it.

I could show you things from the demoscene that better what was to be had at the retail side of things on many different platforms.  Better quality doesn't always mean bare metal programming techniques.

You've got the ports and hosts reversed too,  SEGA has always been primarily an arcade company.  The Lindbergh point of view is correct though and I didn't assume differently, I was just hoping that the game might reach PC too, based on the PC hardware.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond
    @SeriouslyNow: I've been interested in the demoscene for a very long time and I still say I never saw anything on my old hardware that even came close to VF5.  Lots of demoscene stuff is coded at very low level for that matter, obviously not all, but a lot of the most impressive stuff is.  Obviously if you're programming a single game for a single make of hardware, you might as well break the rules of abstraction.

Sega used to be an arcade company, but by the time Dreamcast was around they knew they couldn't rely on arcades to survive.  The Titan was made for easy Saturn ports, but it didn't get nearly as much proportion of the arcade development compared to Naomi.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hideki Kamiya is one of the first people to post on the official Sega development blog to wish the team good luck. 

Hori Twin Stick EX has been confirmed as compatible with the game. Although the game wont detect it, you can toggle in settings. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    "    
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Garrus

lol this thread, I never knew about this game 2 months ago. And I just downloaded it today, is pretty good. Still hard as hell but still good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.