Afterfall- Only $1 for pre-order

#1 Edited by Miningguyx360 (324 posts) -

Like PC games? Like Polish people? Like Polish people who make PC games? You should probably pre-order Afterfall because it's only $1 and if they don't reach 10 million pre-orders it all goes to charity!

The game looks a lot like Dead Space from the full trailer on their site. Unfortunately its not on Steam but seriously, ONE DOLLAR. It comes out November 25th (Five days after my birthday!)

(I bet that they will never have 10 million downloads let alone pre-orders so its all for charity)

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

There is no way it will reach 10 millions copies seeing as how

A) Starcraft 2 only sold half of that maybe?

B) Call of Duty on consoles sells around that much.

It's a good thing they are doing though. :)

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

At $1, I can see philanthropic individuals "purchasing" it multiple times.

#4 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

Look at it this way - it's not 10 million copies, it's ten million dollars. Quite a few games make ten million dollars.

The real problem is the only payment option is through Paypal.

#5 Posted by 1337W422102 (1003 posts) -

@Fripplebubby said:

Look at it this way - it's not 10 million copies, it's ten million dollars. Quite a few games make ten million dollars.

The real problem is the only payment option is through Paypal.

Yeah, but in this case, isn't it ten million copies at a dollar each, meaning ten million dollars? Those games that make ten million bucks have the benefit of being big-named titles and having huge budgets and fanbases. I really don't think the Afterfall dudes will reach ten million, unfortunately.

And I hear you on the Paypal, too. That probably won't help, much.

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I very much doubt the game is going to hit the targets either, it seems to be getting very little attention.. I can't say the game itself looks like something I'd normally pay attention to either.

But I've become very disheartened by the game industry because of overly expensive games and bad DLC, so this is exactly the type of thing I want to support. I bought a couple of copies and will probably hand out my keys to random people on the forums. I'd very much encourage more people to support this as well. Even if you don't care about the game, it sets a great precedent for the industry. More cheap games!

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

I'm starting to get used to hearing a lot of Polish accents this year.

#9 Posted by blitzkriegblizzard (196 posts) -
Get It!
#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

I honestly don't think I'll do this; 10 mil is way too high. It seems silly buying into something that just plain and simply won't happen.

If they reduce it to 1 mil then I'll probably go for it.

#11 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

I honestly don't think I'll do this; 10 mil is way too high. It seems silly buying into something that just plain and simply won't happen.

If they reduce it to 1 mil then I'll probably go for it.

seriously, it's ONE dollar. why would anyone need to think about this?
#12 Edited by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

@DeF said:

@BeachThunder said:

I honestly don't think I'll do this; 10 mil is way too high. It seems silly buying into something that just plain and simply won't happen.

If they reduce it to 1 mil then I'll probably go for it.

seriously, it's ONE dollar. why would anyone need to think about this?

Because it's not one dollar if 10 million people don't buy into it. It's a pointless 'challenge' if the goal is probably unobtainable. I may as well just give my money to the humble bundle - at least the games there are known quantities and it's clear which charities the money actually goes to.

#13 Posted by phonicpod (99 posts) -

I like the enthusiasm but there's no way these guys will get 10 million preorders. 1 million for $1, maybe. They have grossly miscalculated.

#14 Posted by DeF (4775 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

@DeF said:

@BeachThunder said:

I honestly don't think I'll do this; 10 mil is way too high. It seems silly buying into something that just plain and simply won't happen.

If they reduce it to 1 mil then I'll probably go for it.

seriously, it's ONE dollar. why would anyone need to think about this?

Because it's not one dollar if 10 million people don't buy into it. It's a pointless 'challenge' if the goal is probably unobtainable. I may as well just give my money to the humble bundle - at least the games there are known quantities and it's clear which charities the money actually goes to.

Still, I see no problem in supporting something like this (with a visually pretty cool looking game behind it) for one mere dollar. If everybody is so cynical about this then it surely is going to fail ... but why not be optimistic and support something cool for a change? You can throw $1 to this game AND support a humble bundle for less than what fruit ninja kinect costs ...
#15 Posted by edenspresence (69 posts) -

Interesting idea. I will throw them a dollar.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

@rebgav said:

For the record; They need to get an average of 222,223 pre-orders per day between yesterday and the release of the game. The total so far: 14,738.

Also, this list isn't very reassuring...

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@DeF said:

@BeachThunder said:

I honestly don't think I'll do this; 10 mil is way too high. It seems silly buying into something that just plain and simply won't happen.

If they reduce it to 1 mil then I'll probably go for it.

seriously, it's ONE dollar. why would anyone need to think about this?

Because it's not one dollar if 10 million people don't buy into it. It's a pointless 'challenge' if the goal is probably unobtainable. I may as well just give my money to the humble bundle - at least the games there are known quantities and it's clear which charities the money actually goes to.

Half of the proceeds are going to charity, and if they don't make the 10 million sales, all of the money for pre-orders goes to charity and the game will be sold for the regular $40.

So you're either giving to charity and helping to drive down the increasing price of games and poor DLC. I don't see why you wouldn't want to support this, unless you're EA or Activision.

#18 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

This is just business from their side. They will never receive 10 million pre-orders. Therefore, the game will retail at $40 just as planned, but now they've got publicity. Probably nets them a few sold copies.

#19 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

pretty neat, but 10million thats just farfetched. polish devs on the come up tho, dead island, the witcher2, and now this. i have to say it feels good to be a pollack.

#20 Posted by Rapid (1339 posts) -

Interesting Idea, conceptually the same idea as something like Groupon. 

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11634 posts) -

@gamb1t said:

pretty neat, but 10million thats just farfetched. polish devs on the come up tho, dead island, the witcher2, and now this. i have to say it feels good to be a pollack.

That was a Polish game?

Also, Hard Reset :D

#22 Edited by CFOP (4 posts) -

"If we ===> don't <=== get 10 million pre-orders we will give every $ to charity!"

#23 Posted by ESREVER (2646 posts) -

The game actually looks really neat. Tis a shame they probably won't reach their goal of 10 mil, but at least they got an interesting game on their hands. So the regular price will be $40? I thought he said "Sure we could price it at $10" at one point in the video. Oh well.

#24 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@gamb1t said:

pretty neat, but 10million thats just farfetched. polish devs on the come up tho, dead island, the witcher2, and now this. i have to say it feels good to be a pollack.

That was a Polish game?

Also, Hard Reset :D

yeah it was and thanks for the tip! looks good

#25 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Best outcome: I helped a small developer launch a cool-looking game.

Worst outcome: I just donated a dollar to charity.

I've spent more money during Steam sales on games I'll never actually play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.