Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Again

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

Nintendo DS adventure game developed by Cing about an FBI agent that uses his ability to see the past to solve the "Providence" murder cases.

So is Cing actually related to this game or not?

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Reading the description of this game, it seems like whoever wrote it got it confused with another game, Last Window, which is the actual followup to Hotel Dusk. I just got this game and Cing isn't named anywhere on it, as far as I can tell. Was I BAMBOOZLED into buying this game?

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ashogo

No, it is developed by cing. It is not related to Hotel Dusk in any other way though. It was localized by Tecmo, which means a (probably) less thorough translation.
    What do you think of it so far?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashogo: 
    It's...okay. I don't think it stands up to Hotel Dusk (which is one of my favorite adventure games, hell, probably one of my favorite games period). I'd put it at about the level of Trace Memory, quality-wise, which is to say it's good but not having the brilliant interactions and characterization of Hotel Dusk. But while it's good, it just doesn't feel like a Cing adventure game to me. Maybe that's a dumb thing to say, but to me Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk had a definite feel or atmosphere to both of them that was really similar and interesting. Some of the detective-ing stuff feels a little, to steal a word the GB guys love to use, contrived. So to summarize, it's good and worth playing I'd say, but I reaaaaaaaaallllly hope Last Window is localized and comes out here even though Cing was shut down, because I think it has potential to be many times better than this. Hope that helps at least a little.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ashogo
    @BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie: yeah, that's generally the gist of what I've heard from other people as well. I dunno, the game just looks sort of
    bland honestly. I am completely with you in wishing for a localization of Last Window, because it looks fantastic. *crosses fingers*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashogo: Last I heard about it was a rumor that it's at least coming to Europe, and I will import the shit out of that game if that's true. Never imported a game until the DS. God bless lack of region locking!
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ashogo
    @BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie: yeah, apparently NoE trademarked the name "Last Window" a few months back. Not much of a confirmation, but it's reassuring. If it's coming over I want it to have the same level of quality translation that Hotel Dusk did, because that's really what made the game so damn good, the writing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashogo: Yeah I suppose it is a little worrying, now that Cing's gone, who's going to be handling all that. The groundwork's all there of course, but you're totally right that it all depends on the translation and localization and such. Hell, look at any Final Fantasy and you can see that games can easily be translated and yet, like....not localized. Like at all. Hope they can either still get some of those guys back on the game or some who are equally skilled. But it's not like I'm not going to play the game no matter what anyway. I can't help it! (triple negative)
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ashogo
    @BRINKTheMovieMyFavoriteMovie: For sure, I will be playing this game one way or other, no matter what.
    I'm pretty sure it's Nintendo's job to handle the localization of the game, so Cing's bankruptcy will hopefully have little bearing on whether the game comes out over here or not. The thing about the Dusk series is that they're already so western in theme--from the noir styling to the LA setting...it almost seems like a game that would play better in English, even if you could understand the Japanese version. Like, the dialogue in Hotel Dusk was just a goldmine of brilliant one-liners that I can't imagine in Japanese. So obviously the translators put some real time and thought into really localizing it well...I just hope that carries over into Last Window.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashogo: Yup you know you're probably right that someone else handles the localization. Shame about Cing anyway though; hope they do the same as some other "cult" developers have done and basically regroup as a new developer or at least a team as part of a bigger thing. And you're right about Hotel Dusk being uniquely American despite being made in Japan, and it's especially weird when you look at games like Dead Rising's or Metal Wolf Chaos' (admittedly hugely exaggerated, I'm sure) image of the US. It really captured a lot of small details that made all the difference, plus a lot were in the characters which brings it all back around to the localization. Here's hoping that it all works out. Importing a distinctly American game, made in Japan, from Europe...wrap your mind around that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.