Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Age of Empires III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Age of Empires 3 follows in the RTS tradition of the franchise, portraying the colonization of the Americas by the Europeans. Major gameplay changes surrounding the addition of the Home City modify the RTS formula with certain features of Role-Playing Games.

Why Do I Continue to Suck at This Game?

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By insouciant

I genuinely tried to get better at this game.  I played about 50 one-on-one matches.  After each loss I would think "What could I have done differently?"  There were a few victories after a while, but generally I still get beat easily when I play.  Then I quit. 

A lot of times I would fail to defend against a rush, or I would rush and fail, or the opponent would just grow a lot faster than I did. 

I have a few theories:

1.        I’m always British.

2.        This is the first RTS I’ve played online, so I need more experience.

3.        I usually get matched against better players.

4.        I haven’t earned enough good deck cards yet.    

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Daryl
    @insouciant: My advice is stick to single player. 
    insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By insouciant
    @Daryl: Yeah, but single player isn't much fun.  I just don't play the game anymore.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
    @insouciant said:
    "

I genuinely tried to get better at this game.  I played about 50 one-on-one matches.  After each loss I would think "What could I have done differently?"  There were a few victories after a while, but generally I still get beat easily when I play.  Then I quit. 

A lot of times I would fail to defend against a rush, or I would rush and fail, or the opponent would just grow a lot faster than I did. 

I have a few theories:

1.        I’m always British.

2.        This is the first RTS I’ve played online, so I need more experience.

3.        I usually get matched against better players.

4.        I haven’t earned enough good deck cards yet.    

"
    Native Americans are the way to go.
    Colf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Colf

This game is old.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

Don't turtle. Don't rush. Assume your guy is going to harvest, upgrade some shit, and make like 30 units before moving in. So what you do is make 10-15 or so units as quickly as possible and move in, then set a waypoint for your barracks and set the spawn to infinity. THEN start harvesting, if they didn't make any significant military building before you show up your group is now keeping them from being able to. Old fashioned RTSs begin and end in like the first 10 minutes. A lot of people who keep getting beat are compelled to set up a little fortress before doing anything and that is a recipe for failure. Unless you're in a game with like 5 other sides.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.