Game now available to download

#1 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Yep, Age of Empires Online is officially here!

http://www.ageofempiresonline.com/install/

I've been very disappointed with the lack of hype for this game, as I found it immensely fun. Yes, the cartoony graphics is quite a departure for the series, but the gameplay itself hasn't been dumbed down in any way, it actually plays a lot like AoE2 and the social features can be largely ignored. You can also download the F2P version, which gives you access to quite a few features for completely free.. so you have no excuse for not trying it.

But yes, it uses Games for Windows Live.

#2 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I have been looking forward to this a crazy amount. Add csoupeth on there I am installing it now. csoup@me.com if they use emails for usernames :)

#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

There seems to be a bit of a problem at the moment, the launcher will always ask for a CD key.

Developers over on the official forums promise to have it running "very soon" though.

#4 Posted by JacDG (2113 posts) -

I keep getting an "An instance of the game is already running." message :/

#5 Posted by President_Barackbar (3432 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

INSTANTLY unsold.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (7992 posts) -

I will definately give it a shot as soon as they fix the free trial. To see if it's any good.

Guessing there has not been much hype because there really hasn't been that much mainstream coverage of the game.

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I am hoping we see things pick up for it once the reviews and such start coming in. I think Ryan mentioned GiantBomb were doing something about it soon?

@President_Barackbar said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

INSTANTLY unsold.

It's really not that big a problem, it sits in the background and isn't really used for anything once the game has launched. If you have a hotmail or XBL account, it's easy enough to log in. I like to play good games, regardless of the platform they're on, and this is no different. We've been waiting for this series to make a come back for years, I'd hate for people to let it die just because it's not on Steam.

#8 Posted by eccentrix (1498 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

I think Ryan mentioned GiantBomb were doing something about it soon?

Only a little something called TNT.

#9 Posted by GideonAmos (189 posts) -

Played it for a bit. It is quite fun, albeit a watered down version (so far) of the previous age of empire games. It has a certain MMORPG element in it (do quests, loot etc) which seems fine so far. Of course, to fully access all the features of the games (for example wear blue-colored loot) you need to spend cash. I think the price of the premium packs is quite steep though. A season pass which includes premium pack for all the current civilization and a few upcoming ones will costs you about 8600 microsoft points. Individual packs are like 1600 microsoft points.

#10 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

INSTANTLY unsold.

Just use the same account you use for Xbox Live.

#11 Posted by Purple_Proletarius (170 posts) -

Patching it as I type! Really excited for this game. F2P models don't bother me in the least, but I wish they were going a LoL route where everything you can buy you can earn. Some of the stuff they are hiding behind the paywall seems ridiculous and expensive.

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@GideonAmos: The tutorial stuff starts out pretty simple (amazingly, there are still people in the chat who can't figure out how to do even basic actions) but it does get a lot more complex as it goes on.

I definitely agree about the prices though. I don't mind that they're charging for next quest packs, etc, but the cost of civilizations is just insane. The retail pack only comes with the Greeks and that costs £20. I would have expected that amount of money to give you all four of them at least. I guess they expect people to buy one civ and only play as them, but I can see this really hurting the game.

#13 Posted by Purple_Proletarius (170 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: I kinda get the feeling that sales aren't going to go so well and they might restructure the pricing format. At least, I hope.

Also, I think you have to pick a server, right? What should the GB server be?

#14 Edited by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Cool. 

#15 Posted by Purple_Proletarius (170 posts) -

@Binman88:

#16 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -
@Purple_Proletarius: Funny and true, but the problem lies with gfwl, not my choice of password :D
#17 Edited by Tennmuerti (7992 posts) -

@Purple_Proletarius: @Binman88:

funny but only because it's completely wrong

#18 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Defeating the Tower Knight in Demon's Souls. 

#19 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: Really? I'm continuing to use long passwords with upper and lower case characters and a few symbols, but I read that a combination of several words is just as good if not better. I obviously doubt it enough to stick with fairly obscure passwords, but I thought there was some truth to it.
#20 Edited by Tennmuerti (7992 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@Tennmuerti: Really? I'm continuing to use long passwords with upper and lower case characters and a few symbols, but I read that a combination of several words is just as good if not better. I obviously doubt it enough to stick with fairly obscure passwords, but I thought there was some truth to it.
  • if you use actual dictionary words like in the above picture password becomes infinitely easier to crack, it's not even a contest
  • an obscure password can also be made easy to remember with simple techniques
  • the actual math: (28 bits, 44 bits) is also off
#21 Posted by President_Barackbar (3432 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: @Mr_Skeleton: Oh I'm not shying away from it because it isn't on Steam, but because I had to use GFWL to play Bioshock 2 and it was the crappiest thing I've ever had to use.

#22 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: No thanks it is so dumbed down - MS keep thinking we all users are some sort mentals that cannot play other than Facebook games and Avatar xboxlive kinect crap.

plus - GFWL.. yep no thanks.

#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: @Mr_Skeleton: Oh I'm not shying away from it because it isn't on Steam, but because I had to use GFWL to play Bioshock 2 and it was the crappiest thing I've ever had to use.

I deferentially agree with you about GFWL on Bioshock but hopefully they will integrate it here better.

#24 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -
#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

@WinterSnowblind: No thanks it is so dumbed down - MS keep thinking we all users are some sort mentals that cannot play other than Facebook games and Avatar xboxlive kinect crap.

plus - GFWL.. yep no thanks.

What part of it do you think has been dumbed down? I played extensively during the beta and thought it was fine, again, very similar to AoE2.

Or are you basing your entire judgement on the graphics? This is certainly not a game of Facebook/Kinect quality, it's a proper AoE sequel.

#26 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

The game ain't dumbed down at all. There's less units for sure but now there's a ton of stuff behind the curtain enhancing those units and tied to the persistent stuff that make armies much more customizable. 

GFWL implementation ain't bad either. If you don't call for it you don't even see any of it outside popups for achievements.

#27 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Detrian: @WinterSnowblind: I was also in the beta. (not for long .. couldn´t stand much of it really)

IMO the strategic layer is dumbed down and much of the game design is focus on the fact they want to sell stuff - (thank you free to play model) YaY!! cute little avatars for your cute little soldiers.

I also found the "persistance" no other but a justification to sell you more stuff.. It doesn´t really add anything intersting to the gameplay (you know a RTS).. other than well you can grind now (yay?).

Perhaps not a terrible game... but not for me, I can´t justify spending time in this "secuel" with actual good strategy games out there like the Total War series, Starcraft, LoL and the upcoming DOTA 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.