Gas Powered Games Now Taking On Age Of Empires Online

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In a surprising move, Robot Entertainment has passed on development of free-to-play RTS Age of Empires Online to Gas Powered Games. In a short post about the switch on the game's blog, Gas Powered Games reveals that the transfer “has been the plan for some time,” and GPG and publisher Microsoft share a similar vision about the long-term success of the social-focused strategy game.

Robot Entertainment, as you may know, was founded by a lot of ex-Ensemble staff, so Microsoft putting an Age of Empires in their hands seemed like a natural, fitting move. This developer transition doesn’t strike me as quite a natural move, but it’s not like GPG doesn’t have RTS or strategy chops. This is the studio that built Supreme Commander and Dungeon Siege, after all.

== TEASER ==As for what Robot Entertainment is doing now with AOE off its back? Well, there’s some news on that front. Earlier this week, Robot announced its third-person action game with a tower defense twist, Orcs Must Die!, for PC download and console digital distribution platforms. In a nutshell, the game is about protecting one’s keep with traps, both physical and magical, from a flowing stream of Orcs.  

In a recent post on its forums, Robot Entertainment echoed Gas Powered Games, saying that allowing GPG to take on the lead developer role for AOE Online was always the plan. It also added that the Orcs Must Die! announcement will be followed by other original game reveals in the near future. 

But until then, here's the first Orcs Must Die! trailer:   

No word on the release date for AOE or Orcs Must Die, but both should hit in 2011.      
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

In a surprising move, Robot Entertainment has passed on development of free-to-play RTS Age of Empires Online to Gas Powered Games. In a short post about the switch on the game's blog, Gas Powered Games reveals that the transfer “has been the plan for some time,” and GPG and publisher Microsoft share a similar vision about the long-term success of the social-focused strategy game.

Robot Entertainment, as you may know, was founded by a lot of ex-Ensemble staff, so Microsoft putting an Age of Empires in their hands seemed like a natural, fitting move. This developer transition doesn’t strike me as quite a natural move, but it’s not like GPG doesn’t have RTS or strategy chops. This is the studio that built Supreme Commander and Dungeon Siege, after all.

== TEASER ==As for what Robot Entertainment is doing now with AOE off its back? Well, there’s some news on that front. Earlier this week, Robot announced its third-person action game with a tower defense twist, Orcs Must Die!, for PC download and console digital distribution platforms. In a nutshell, the game is about protecting one’s keep with traps, both physical and magical, from a flowing stream of Orcs.  

In a recent post on its forums, Robot Entertainment echoed Gas Powered Games, saying that allowing GPG to take on the lead developer role for AOE Online was always the plan. It also added that the Orcs Must Die! announcement will be followed by other original game reveals in the near future. 

But until then, here's the first Orcs Must Die! trailer:   

No word on the release date for AOE or Orcs Must Die, but both should hit in 2011.      
#2 Posted by MythDarK (555 posts) -

Seams like an interesting approach.

#3 Posted by Goku13K (47 posts) -

Can't wait for AOEO, love those games!
#4 Posted by ToxicFruit (1718 posts) -

Hope this does not mean anything bad for AoE:O i really want to see that released, but yeah i kinda agree Gas powered are  much better suited of making a strategy game 

#5 Posted by Undeadpool (4989 posts) -

Give me a new Age of Mythology! DO AS I COMMAND!

#6 Posted by ReverendGodless (3 posts) -

I have a feeling that AoEO isn't going to turn out so good. I mean, it looks really cartoony and will probably be somewhat dumbed down compared to the others so it appeals to more people.  

I hope I'm wrong, though. We'll just have to wait and see.

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

No thanks. Makes me sad that we are going to get this crap instead of KIngs and Castles. It was looking interesting.

#8 Posted by Grondoth (262 posts) -

Invaders must die.

#9 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -

I want a remake of Age Of Empires 1 and 2, not a online game...

#10 Posted by Orange (206 posts) -
@Undeadpool:  Could not agree more!
#11 Posted by Sacerdos87 (157 posts) -

Orcs Must Die! has potential in my eyes. Hope to see it come out soon.

#12 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
" Give me a new Age of Mythology! DO AS I COMMAND! "
#13 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

lol, so a once semi popular rts is being made free to play because starcraft has any rts player who is willing to spend any money on an rts by the balls..... i like it, seems like their best bet....

#14 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @Undeadpool said:
" Give me a new Age of Mythology! DO AS I COMMAND! "
"
#15 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" No thanks. Makes me sad that we are going to get this crap instead of KIngs and Castles. It was looking interesting. "
That's what I was thinking. :(
#16 Posted by Bucketdeth (8045 posts) -

Well Orcs must die looks interesting, AOEO does not.

#17 Posted by isles (232 posts) -

hmmm, might be cool.

#18 Posted by Xeiphyer (5608 posts) -

Not sure why you would pass off the game at this point. From playing the beta a whole bunch, that game seems pretty much done. 

Seems kind of fishy to me... are they just passing it so they can slap GPG on the game in order to get more coverage? Its very weird.

#19 Posted by EchoEcho (836 posts) -
@Axleisbored said:
" lol, so a once semi popular rts is being made free to play because starcraft has any rts player who is willing to spend any money on an rts by the balls..... i like it, seems like their best bet.... "
I would say that Age of Empires was more than just "semi-popular"; back in the day, I didn't know a single person who didn't own Age of Empires 2.

Also, I play RTS games of various sorts on a very regular basis, and I haven't even picked up StarCraft 2. Believe it or not, as good a game as it may be, it's not going to be everyone's go-to RTS experience.

Personally, I'd rather see them forget that AoE3 ever existed and just make a newer, improved version of AoE2. I have zero interest in a F2P online AoE with cartoony graphics.

Orcs Must Die! looks fairly entertaining, actually, but if it doesn't have at least two-player co-op, I will be mildly disappoint. Seems like they're trying to make use of the graphics engine they developed for that fail-from-the-start Halo MMO that got canned.
#20 Posted by EpsilonSE (176 posts) -
@EchoEcho:  

AOE was the first RTS I ever played, it's been my standby RTS. I never really got into Empire Earth, Dawn of War, Command and Conquer, or Starcraft. Infact, the only "RTS-like" game that I play, that is similar to a true RTS like the aforementioned, is Company of Heroes. 

Maybe its some biased nostalgia but I'm already signed up for this F2P AOE.
#21 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -
@Axleisbored said:
" lol, so a once semi popular rts is being made free to play because starcraft has any rts player who is willing to spend any money on an rts by the balls..... i like it, seems like their best bet.... "
Look at this poor sod.
#22 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

This makes me think of that Three Inches of Blood song, Destroy the Orcs.

#23 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2393 posts) -

Orcs must die looks interesting at least. Didn't expect anything until I saw the trailer. AOEO though... I miss Ensemble..        

#24 Edited by PenguinDust (12604 posts) -

I'm wary of any news regarding F2P RTS games after the demise of Company of Heroes Online

As for the Orcs Must Die game, anyone else remember that PS2 game, Trapt?  You basically run around a castle setting up then setting off traps in that one, too. 

#25 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1866 posts) -

I'm really excited about the new Robot Entertainment game, it sounds super rad.

#26 Posted by LightRain (167 posts) -

AoEO is going to suck anyway

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21734 posts) -

This is a great idea.  It worked incredibly well for Company of Heroes Online, and it seems.... 

....oh, wait....Company of Heroes Online is shutting down?

O_O

#28 Posted by Mikemcn (7011 posts) -
@Undeadpool
Give me a new Age of Mythology! DO AS I COMMAND!
That would Be awesome
#29 Edited by granderojo (1792 posts) -

This is awesome I love Age of Empires. 

EDIT: I watched the video, I am disappointed. I thought this was going to be a an RTS. This makes me a sad panda. 

EDIT2: I just realized these are separate properties. Awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.