Now on Steam

#1 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

Turns out Microsoft has allowed Valve to add Age of Empires online to their Steam- Free to Play games section.

I think this is fantastic, and I might even conider buying into it, all the paid content that you can add onto the base game is on sale right now.

#2 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Is this worth playing without the paid content?

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3559 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: the paid content just adds variety (new factions) you can play the whole game with the included civilization without restrictions.

#4 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@PeasantAbuse: the paid content just adds variety (new factions) you can play the whole game with the included civilization without restrictions.

Oh cool, thanks. I think I'll give this a try.

#5 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

The free version is little more than a demo, you really need to buy one of the civilisations to really get anything out if it.

But I'd say it's worth a try, it's a fun game, even if it doesn't quite live up to AoE2.

#6 Posted by BisonHero (6545 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

The free version is little more than a demo, you really need to buy one of the civilisations to really get anything out if it.

But I'd say it's worth a try, it's a fun game, even if it doesn't quite live up to AoE2.

From what I remember of the Giant Bomb coverage of this game, you don't really get any of the full factions unless you buy the "premium" version of that faction, right? Like, you're locked out of certain units, and you can't equip your units with upgrades or something?

#7 Posted by Seedofpower (3930 posts) -

Does it still use live?

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18996 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

Does it still use live?

Probably. There are other GFWL games on Steam.

#9 Posted by Str8_2_Alticity (13 posts) -

@Seedofpower: Yeah it still uses Games for Windows Live.

@BisonHero: Without buying a premium civilization you can't equip loot classified as Rare or Epic and you are locked out of ranked PvP. A few other things are included as well.

Being free-to-play feels more like a demo of the game than anything. I enjoyed what I saw and decided to purchase a premium civ back when the game launched.

#10 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

This increases my chance of purchase significantly, will definitely look out for this one at the steam summer sale.

#11 Posted by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

Darn was hoping I could avoid playing it.

#12 Posted by gerp (193 posts) -

@emergency: a lot of the stuff already is on sale i think a premium civilization is 5 bucks

#13 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Nice, glad to see more stuff going to steam & with it being free to play will rewatch the quick look while it's downloading.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11959 posts) -

So, does this mean that Halo will come to Steam?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.