Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Agent

Game » consists of 1 releases.

A third-person action game by Rockstar North, focused on the covert war fought by US and Soviet spies during the late '70s. Announced as a PS3 exclusive in 2009, specifics of the game have remained classified.

omg this is scaring me.

Avatar image for ikilledthetoilet
    Ikilledthetoilet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Ikilledthetoilet

Rockstar: king of the free-roam 
    secret agents: awesome 

So when i heard the two are meeting, i went crazy.  i think i actually jumped up and down like a little schoolgirl(and im a guy, so that tells u how excited i was.). but, its been a long time, and spidey, master chief, and mvc3 have caught my attention, but this is still in the back of my head. When will pictures, trailers, or anything come?

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By wafflez

I know this is several months after you posted, but I could see this being a big hit at this years E3.. at least I hope so

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Andorski
    @wafflez said:
    " I know this is several months after you posted, but I could see this being a big hit at this years E3.. at least I hope so "
    Maybe.  LA Noire is already out by the time E3 comes along, but I don't remember R* pimping out another game so soon after their last game was released.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta

Rockstar is the inventor of the free-roam, but no where near the king.
    Their formula has not changed in 10 years.  The best free-roam games are not rockstar games.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alternate
    @Andorski said:
    " @wafflez said:
    " I know this is several months after you posted, but I could see this being a big hit at this years E3.. at least I hope so "
    Maybe.  LA Noire is already out by the time E3 comes along, but I don't remember R* pimping out another game so soon after their last game was released. "
    They often "announce" early - my guess is Sony twisted their arm also as they wanted something for that E3 conference - but look how long it is before you actually see anything.  Red Dead and LA Noire were what - 5 years in the making and you only really got screens in the last 5 months of dev.  I think you will see the next GTA before Agent comes out.
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By RockAction

Hasn't this been renamed The Agency and is an MMO similar to APB? 

When it was first announced my mind went to GTA + Secret Agents, which sounded impressive, but there were a couple screen shots on an article on Gamespot a while back and it didn't look impressive from recollection. Plus the allusion to APB didn't sound good. 

Of course I'll wait until some solid news comes with trailers / gameplay or even details; i think it was just suggested it was an MMO 

As above, LA Noire will be coming out around the same time and will more than likely be a big seller and create a lot of news so showing a new game soon after probably isn't going to happen; and I think Rockstar don't usually show their stuff at E3. Unless Sony pressures them to show something to get some headlines for PS3, but its E3, i can't imagine Sony needing to generate headlines. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

it took 5 months for this topic to get going.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karkarov

Considering that the main page for this game says it was supposed to come out last year and here in 2011 it still has no real info much less a release date I wouldn't expect anything from it at the 2011 E3.  In fact I wouldn't expect to see this game on the market until like quarter 3 2012 at the earliest.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By N7
    @RockAction said:
    "  Hasn't this been renamed The Agency and is an MMO similar to APB?  When it was first announced my mind went to GTA + Secret Agents, which sounded impressive, but there were a couple screen shots on an article on Gamespot a while back and it didn't look impressive from recollection. Plus the allusion to APB didn't sound good.    Of course I'll wait until some solid news comes with trailers / gameplay or even details; i think it was just suggested it was an MMO  As above, LA Noire will be coming out around the same time and will more than likely be a big seller and create a lot of news so showing a new game soon after probably isn't going to happen; and I think Rockstar don't usually show their stuff at E3. Unless Sony pressures them to show something to get some headlines for PS3, but its E3, i can't imagine Sony needing to generate headlines.  "
    lol no

The Agency is some MMO that Sony has been working on for about six hundred years, and every time they show it off, it gets worse and worse. It also may never see the light of day. Agent is, well, no one knows what Agent is other than it's title, Rockstar is making it, and it's exclusive to the PS3.
    RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RubberFactory
    @kingzetta said:
    "  Rockstar is the inventor of the free-roam, but no where near the king. Their formula has not changed in 10 years.  The best free-roam games are not rockstar games. "
    Who would you say makes the best free-roam games?
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RockAction
    @N7 said:
    " @RockAction said:
    "  Hasn't this been renamed The Agency and is an MMO similar to APB?  When it was first announced my mind went to GTA + Secret Agents, which sounded impressive, but there were a couple screen shots on an article on Gamespot a while back and it didn't look impressive from recollection. Plus the allusion to APB didn't sound good.    Of course I'll wait until some solid news comes with trailers / gameplay or even details; i think it was just suggested it was an MMO  As above, LA Noire will be coming out around the same time and will more than likely be a big seller and create a lot of news so showing a new game soon after probably isn't going to happen; and I think Rockstar don't usually show their stuff at E3. Unless Sony pressures them to show something to get some headlines for PS3, but its E3, i can't imagine Sony needing to generate headlines.  "
    lol no  The Agency is some MMO that Sony has been working on for about six hundred years, and every time they show it off, it gets worse and worse. It also may never see the light of day. Agent is, well, no one knows what Agent is other than it's title, Rockstar is making it, and it's exclusive to the PS3. "

My fault, sorry. I just looked it up and you're correct.  Don't know how I got confused with Agent and The Agency.   

Anyway, this is good news. I guess I'm back on the cautiously optimistic side now.  

There really should be more information by now.   

Though I have preferred LA: Noire's silence until 5 months before release and a deluge of information / screens / trailers etc. Better than a slow drip feed over 5 years.  
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta
    @RubberFactory said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    "  Rockstar is the inventor of the free-roam, but no where near the king. Their formula has not changed in 10 years.  The best free-roam games are not rockstar games. "
    Who would you say makes the best free-roam games? "
    Not sure but I'm just saying the Assassin's Creed games, the Yakuza games, Infamous, Red Faction guerrilla, The Saboteur, Mercenaries: playground of Destruction are way better than any Rockstar open world games. At least I think so.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Andorski
    @kingzetta said:
    " @RubberFactory said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Not sure but I'm just saying the Assassin's Creed games, the Yakuza games, Infamous, Red Faction guerrilla, The Saboteur, Mercenaries: playground of Destruction are way better than any Rockstar open world games. At least I think so. "
    None of those games let you fly a jet pack into Area 51 so you can plane-jack a fighter jet. 

San Andreas was fucking awesome.
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RockAction
    @kingzetta said:
    " @RubberFactory said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    Not sure but I'm just saying the Assassin's Creed games, the Yakuza games, Infamous, Red Faction guerrilla, The Saboteur, Mercenaries: playground of Destruction are way better than any Rockstar open world games. At least I think so. "

I don't think so; I can't speak for Yakuze / Infamous / Saboteur and granted Assassin's Creed 2 is great example of open world games but Red Faction Guerilla isn't. Its quite lifeless. Unless you're talking about destruction or scale, which I would say it does well.   

But i think each example pails in comparison to GTAIV. That game world felt alive and small details really made it so. AC2 doesn't have the same detail in non-story related material. It had more and different objections or missions but little in the way of creating a world. Mostly because the world is real, you can walk around Florence without a lot of backstory because its Florence whereas Liberty City being a fictitious contemporary city had to sell itself harder in the way of interaction and depth and did so well i think. 

I feel Rockstar are still the best designers of open world games. Except maybe Bethesda.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingzetta
    @RockAction said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @RubberFactory said:
    " @kingzetta said:
     I don't think so; I can't speak for Yakuze / Infamous / Saboteur and granted Assassin's Creed 2 is great example of open world games but Red Faction Guerilla isn't. Its quite lifeless. Unless you're talking about destruction or scale, which I would say it does well.    But i think each example pails in comparison to GTAIV. That game world felt alive and small details really made it so. AC2 doesn't have the same detail in non-story related material. It had more and different objections or missions but little in the way of creating a world. Mostly because the world is real, you can walk around Florence without a lot of backstory because its Florence whereas Liberty City being a fictitious contemporary city had to sell itself harder in the way of interaction and depth and did so well i think.  I feel Rockstar are still the best designers of open world games. Except maybe Bethesda. "
    I don't want to get into this for billionth time, but I really really didn't like GTA 4.
    I thought the story and the characters were awful and unlikeable.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By ThePickle

It was awhile before we heard anything about LA Noire, and then bam! They just started announcing stuff out of the blue. I suppose this will be similar. A few weeks after LA Noire comes out we'll start getting stuff. 

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RockAction
    @kingzetta said:
    " @RockAction said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @RubberFactory said:
    " @kingzetta said:
     I don't think so; I can't speak for Yakuze / Infamous / Saboteur and granted Assassin's Creed 2 is great example of open world games but Red Faction Guerilla isn't. Its quite lifeless. Unless you're talking about destruction or scale, which I would say it does well.    But i think each example pails in comparison to GTAIV. That game world felt alive and small details really made it so. AC2 doesn't have the same detail in non-story related material. It had more and different objections or missions but little in the way of creating a world. Mostly because the world is real, you can walk around Florence without a lot of backstory because its Florence whereas Liberty City being a fictitious contemporary city had to sell itself harder in the way of interaction and depth and did so well i think.  I feel Rockstar are still the best designers of open world games. Except maybe Bethesda. "
    I don't want to get into this for billionth time, but I really really didn't like GTA 4. I thought the story and the characters were awful and unlikeable. "
    Thats cool. I was just stating my own feelings for GTAIV in comparison to the couple of games you raised.  
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Malakhii
    @Andorski said:
    " San Andreas was fucking awesome. "  
     GTA San Andreas and Morrowind are the best open world games. It sucked they tried to go more realistic in GTA IV. the game ended up being very repetitive. At least the crazy spirit lives on in Saints Row. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Andorski
    @Malakhii: Agreed.  GTA IV left me wondering why the game was free-roaming to begin with.  Missions, while in a free-roaming city, had a very linear path.  You could still go out on a rampage, but the tools they give you to cause chaos was limited compared to what you had in SA. 

Saint's Row is an okay alternative, but Volitions' attempt to be humorous about gangster life isn't comparable to when R* does it.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Malakhii
    @Andorski: The second Saint's Row game definitely tried too hard, but it was an ok game. Hopefully the Third one only get's better. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski
    @Malakhii said:
    " @Andorski: The second Saint's Row game definitely tried too hard, but it was an ok game. Hopefully the Third one only get's better.  "
    If the "Strap It On" tagline was intentional, then there might be hope.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @Andorski said:
    " Saint's Row is an okay alternative, but Volitions' attempt to be humorous about gangster life isn't comparable to when R* does it. "
    Honestly, I think beside Saints Row and more recently GTAIV, the big city, free roam style videogame has sort of been dead in the water for awhile now. I mean, you have those periphery action games like Red Faction and Mafia II,  but those are still relatively linear, I think. 

The genre is nowhere near booming like it was in the heyday of True Crime, Grand Theft Auto, etc. back on the PlayStation 2. You really only see a couple of specialized studios who are experiences with these games doing them, which in this case, are Volition Inc. and Rockstar Games. 

But, for the time being, Volition Inc. is carrying the free roam, batshit insane torch of those old games - and quite proudly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.