Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

A.I. Companion

Concept »

An AI companion is a computer-controlled ally who follows and aids you through your adventures or who requires your protection. The AI companion's survival is often essential to game and story progression.

Companions you can't help but take because of the voice actors

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grimhild

I don't mean the "best" companions as far as combat usefulness. Or even ones that fit the style of your gameplay. I mean strictly because of the voice work for them.

While revisiting the wastes and walking every square inch of them before the final save in New Vegas, as I like to do in any FO game (and afterwards in the case of FO2), I have Raul in tow because... well... Danny Trejo ("Lowly dog!"). Even if he does have irrational anger towards moving your feet.

I have absolutely no need for him, and I've been traveling solo up until this point. My character was initially a mechanical and science! brainiac, and at this point is 20 skill points away from having everything maxed. He serves no purpose, other than being Danny Trejo, and I will sacrifice my last Super-Stim for him in the middle of a pack of Deathclaws if need be, as useless as he is.

I guess I would also ask who don't you like simply because of the voice actor? I'm actually trying to think of one, but it always boils down to the writing when it comes to characters I just can't stand to have with me, and less the voice actor delivering them. Like Jack or Kaliyo. They're basically the same "tough girl" character that sounds ridiculously forced and tryhard, and they both annoy the crap out of me. I'm reasonably sure the same person at Bioware conceived both of them.

Anyway... Danny Trejo!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

If its voiced by Felicia Day or some other 'internet hero' they can go die in a fire and I will arrange their ingame deaths if possible.

If a character is voiced by Adam Baldwin or Nathan Fillion they're instant picks for me.
    Jennifer Hale or Steven Blum are favorites as well.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CaLe

Binary Domain's Big Bo and French Robot come to mind. I still think everyone in that game pronounces the word 'bastards' in a weird way though.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Grimhild

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Adam Baldwin or Nathan Fillion they're instant picks for me. Jennifer Hale or Steven Blum are favorites as well.

Love both of those guys, but I don't think they've actually played any companion characters. And Goa the Lesser was a dick! I was really sad when I couldn't bring Adam Baldwin with me in ME2 lol. Who wouldn't want Animal Mother watching their back?

@CaLe:

I'd be interested to see some sort of study of how many purchases BD got because of Biiiiig Bo. Which is totally warrented, I might add.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

As far as I'm concerned, Raul is the only companion in NV.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By _Zombie_

Yeah, I'll admit that I take Raul, too. I have a Danny Trejo weakness.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    If its voiced by Felicia Day or some other 'internet hero' they can go die in a fire and I will arrange their ingame deaths if possible.

If a character is voiced by Adam Baldwin or Nathan Fillion they're instant picks for me.
    Jennifer Hale or Steven Blum are favorites as well.
    Er....Fillion is kind of one of those said internet heroes. Sure has has some pretty decent credentials but most of his popularity is from the internet crowds.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By musubi

Im a sucker for Laura Bailey. I've been rolling around with Serana from Dawnguard as a result. She is by far the best companion. And as far as Im concerned Female Voice 1 is the only voice in SR3.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

Claudia Black.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos: He's a real tv/movie guy though.
    He didn't start in his attic living of his geeky charm and genitals.

At least I hope he didn't.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By musubi
    @TaliciaDragonsong
    @Demoskinos: He's a real tv/movie guy though.
    He didn't start in his attic living of his geeky charm and genitals.

At least I hope he didn't.
    I know. Be has some pretty decent credentials. Not knocking him. Just saying he is a pretty big internet darling.
    Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I guess I don't really have anything like that, I will pick a companion depending on their character and skills, I haven't really thought about voice actors (but I don't pay much attention to voice actors in games anyway).

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos: Yep, but that's not what I meant in my post, Felicia has started as a internet thing and is still thriving off that.
    Nathan just did his own thing in series and movies and then he got turned into a 'geek god' by his fans (not undeserved, he is a god indeed).
    I'm quite sure Nathan set out to be a actor and probably took classes, studied and in general did a whole lot more for it than having a cunt.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Animasta

@TaliciaDragonsong: lol wow a little harsh huh?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Wemibelle

I ended up rolling a Bounty Hunter in SWTOR just because I liked Mako's voice so much in beta.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta: Perhaps, I just don't like her at all. :P
    octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By octaslash

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Demoskinos: Yep, but that's not what I meant in my post, Felicia has started as a internet thing and is still thriving off that. Nathan just did his own thing in series and movies and then he got turned into a 'geek god' by his fans (not undeserved, he is a god indeed).I'm quite sure Nathan set out to be a actor and probably took classes, studied and in general did a whole lot more for it than having a cunt.

Actually, she was an actress before she had a fanbase. Also, her voice performances so far have sounded good enough to me. Judging by the vitriol towards her, I can't imagine you have any rational reasons to villainize her or these "internet celebrities".

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wjb

Oh, I totally forgot Felicia Day was in New Vegas. Huh.

I don't care about voice actors enough to purposely choose a certain companion, unless the actual character is cool or beneficial to me.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By kindgineer

Honestly, I don't really even pay attention to the voice acting on any of the characters. I know that somewhere in my subconscious I make my judgement on their VA, but other than that, I'm just happy they talk. Generally the lines they speak are what get at me. I've heard horrible voices, but the bad lines tend to nag at me more.

However, even if it is off-topic, I nearly always take females with me, and I have no idea why. I generally choose female fighters in games like SSF4, Blaz Blue, and etc, but I have kicked the habit of rolling a female char in RPG's. So, maybe to keep myself from wholly hijacking your thread with my jibber-jabber, I usually can't help but take female companions- and I'm sure their voice has something to do with it.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Octaslash: Didn't know that, I will keep that in mind for the future, but I still don't like her in my games or anything else so I avoid her at all costs.
    My rational reason is I don't like her, like you would not like the new girlfriend of your ex or a evil stepmom.
    I just don't like her and I can't stand her.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By musubi
    @Animasta

@TaliciaDragonsong: lol wow a little harsh huh?

Uh, indeed. I think Felicia has more than legitimize herself. She's had actual acting roles. If you can get a career started by getting a groundswell of support on the internet I dont see what is wrong with that.
    Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grimhild

@ck1nd:

Doesn't bother me, really.

On your off-topic point, though; The "subconscious" reason you may predominantly pick female companions probably has something to do with the same reason the F-16 and Apache Central Aural Warning System (CAWS) have a female voice (aka "Bitching Betty"). It's intended to tune the male ear into the system's voice among the radio chatter, although now that the roles of aircraft are becoming more gender neutral, it's sort of up in the air. Whoops... puns.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Demoskinos: He's a real tv/movie guy though. He didn't start in his attic living of his geeky charm and genitals. At least I hope he didn't.

I've heard it's actually shaped like a little hammer.

-

Been ages since I've played a game with companion choice really. If it counts, when roaming around in Saints Row: The Third I'd occasionally call for some company (Oleg, Zimos, Kinzie etc) just to hear some more lines from 'em.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos: Could you point me to any of her good work then?
    I can't seem to find anything where's she's not a typical nerdy gamer girl.

I was a little harsh in my earlier posts, I'll admit.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Dagbiker

Alyx Vance. I still think the game looks and sounds amazing.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By nightriff

Whoever does the voice acting for Thane is amazing and I always rocked him in my party because of that

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By pyromagnestir

@TaliciaDragonsong: I thought she was pretty good in her role in Dollhouse, but maybe that's just me (me being one of the few people who kinda liked Dollhouse might also sway my opinion in that matter). The only other thing I've seen her in is Eureka, and there she was mostly playing to the cutesy nerdy girl type you seem to dislike.

If I can roll with Kanji I will. Ditto Rise. Other than that I can't think of anyone.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Robot_Moses

Ghoul Danny Trejo in New Vegas and Wrex in ME were mandatory as far as I'm concerned. Inversely, I will never use a party member voiced by Raphael Sbarge.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew

Felicia Day must really regret stealing Talicia's ex now.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nutter

Characters that I have a choice over?

Garrus, HK-47, Verrik and Isabella ("I like big boats, I cannot lie") from Dragon Age 2, Burt Reynolds.

Razor in Maniac Mansion for her music, as she has no voice.

I liked Felicia Day's character in New Vegas, too, though I'd toss her likeable ass to the curb if I could have a Benny sidekick.

The more I think about it, there's a severe lack of non-Bioware AI companions that are well written and acted characters.

On that note, honerable mention to Carth, Bastillia, and Jolie Bindo from KOTOR. I also really like Morrigan and Leliana in Dragon Age: Origins.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grimhild

@Demoskinos said:

Im a sucker for Laura Bailey. I've been rolling around with Serana from Dawnguard as a result. She is by far the best companion. And as far as Im concerned Female Voice 1 is the only voice in SR3.

That's great. I totally didn't even notice it was her as Serana in Dawnguard. Now I'm going to be expecting some profanity-laden tirade from her before randomly running up to guards saying "You know what you're good for!" over and over.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThePaleKing

I've never managed to completely influence all my crew in KotOR 2, because I can't help but take Kreia on every expedition. Due in both part to her voice acting and her having the most interesting conversations. Same thing happened in KotOR 1 with HK-47; I couldn't stand the party members in the first game, then I met HK-47 and it was love at first Statement.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TehBuLL

Andrew Morris in Skyrim as Cicero. Dude is crazy and nails it.

poople

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By poople

i never pick a companion for the voice actors to be honest i think tv and video games need more George Lowe

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By HH

there's none i like to the level that i detest the ones i detest - Liara from ME, whatever that emo fag-elf from DA2 is called - but I always blame the game designers for organizing the whole package, rather than the actors. i'm drunk

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hunter5024

Steven Blum, and Laura Bailey are my two favorites. Typically I find celebrities are way worse at voice acting than professional voice actors, which is kind of strange considering the bad reputation voice acting gets in games and English anime. I'll take small talent with lots of heart over big talent who doesn't give a shit any day.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By leebmx

Veronica in New Vegas is the only one that comes to mind. Not really becuase of Felicia Day as i'm no big fan - hadn't heard of her up til that point. But I thought her performance was so good and the character was really well written.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#38  Edited By Slag

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.