Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Airtight Games

Company »

Founded in 2004, Airtight Games was formed from the core team that developed Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.

Airtight games shutdown

awalkawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By awalkawesome

According to GeekWire Airtight games the makers of Dark Void and more recently Murdered soul supect has shut down although no one at the studio has responded to this. Here is the GeekWire article

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Teoball

Aw. I just finished Murdered:Souls Suspect and I really enjoyed it.

awalkawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teoball: Same here it wasn't perfect and has some really annoying moments but overall a super enjoyable game

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a bummer. Dark Void was neat and I really, really like Murdered.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

yea, saw this as well. As most have said, I enjoyed Murdered. Scratched that adventure game itch, plus you got to be a cat!

DoggieOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always meant to check out the game Kim Swift did with them, Quantum Conundrum. Sad news.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Corevi

They made a bunch of games and none of them sold a decent amount so makes sense. Hope the former employees land on their feet.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I said to my mate that this would happen to this studio if Murdered: Soul Suspect bombed (because they had a mixed bag of poor review scores and dreadful sales) and low and behold it's happened. It's always sad to see people let go but Square would've been stupid to keep that studio alive.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i dont think there latest game sold well at all. neither did dark void correct?

sucks. hopefully everyone gets back on their feet

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By joshwent

@ubertron986 said:

I always meant to check out the game Kim Swift did with them, Quantum Conundrum. Sad news.

It was pretty much like most of their other games; a unique riff on another game's core concept that was pretty cool, but just lacked something to make it great.

Still, a fun first person physics-based puzzler, if you need to scratch that Portal itch. (as long as you don't expect it to be Portal)

Sad news they're closing though. They were one of the few devs that had a bit of the reach that the huge ones do, but still at least tried creative things. Although that article is pretty ambiguous with zero confirmation and no updates to Airtight's site, so maybe they're just "restructuring" again and they'll be back in some form.

Edit: Nevermind, their Twitter account has a big ol' goodbye and thank you on it. Damn.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Given that Square-Enix seemed to put that game out to die, I guess I'm not surprised this is the end result. Bummer for the people who lost their jobs.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's unfortunate, but not at all surprising given how pretty much all of their games could be considered flops (Both critically and commercially). Hopefully those who lost their jobs will find work soon.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's too bad. I haven't been a huge fan of the games they've put out but they were doing something different with most of their releases.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Huge bummer. I like Quantum Conundrum and Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Maybe they wouldn't have shut down if I had just bought that copy of Dark Void for $2.50 during the Steam sale ;__;

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@beachthunder said:

Huge bummer. I like Quantum Conundrum and Murdered: Soul Suspect.

Maybe they wouldn't have shut down if I had just bought that copy of Dark Void for $2.50 during the Steam sale ;__;

Hard to convince me Dark Void is worth the price of 6 piece chicken nuggets at Mickey D's. I did however enjoy Quantum Conundrum and Murdered: Soul Suspect had me somewhat intrigued till reviews came out.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a college friend who worked there as a graphics programming grunt. That's really a downer, but not shocking considering the lack of a real hit.

For the record, Dark Void was a really fun arcade shooter, and flying the UFOs felt like a modern Descent.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@mlarrabee said:

I have a college friend who worked there as a graphics programming grunt. That's really a downer, but not shocking considering the lack of a real hit.

For the record, Dark Void was a really fun arcade shooter, and flying the UFOs felt like a modern Descent.

Wait am I thinking of the same Dark Void games you guys are? I remember Dark Void Capcom game being not the greatest game out there but there was also a 2D Dark Void game that seemed alright. Either way it sucks people lost their jobs in all this but they're located in Redmond / Seattle area which has become a mecha for video game creation so hopefully the people there will bounce off their feet real quick.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, that really sucks for a studio to close down. Hope the devs get settled again pretty soon.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yes, there was a 2D Dark Void, which is actually pretty good - and the soundtrack is fantastic too.

Loading Video...

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Damn, I was sure that the job security there was

airtight

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Seems logical.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#23 fisk0  Moderator

I think it was specifically meant to evoke Crimson Skies (but, yeah, it was of that same breed of games, though leaning a bit more towards stuff like Warhawk, Terminal Velocity and Fury3 than Descent, more open outdoor environments rather than mine shafts).

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As silly as it is I kind of had that reaction too. Its like when someone loses a contest or running of some sort and you go "if only I had voted!"
    If only I had given them my $2.50! I could have saved the company! I'm a monster!

Well, hopefully in the future some cool looking game will come out and we'll hear about how it was worked on by former Airtight employees.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Murdered: Soul Suspect and Quantum Conundrum were pretty cool so this is a bummer. Hopefully everyone that worked there will find a new place to make games.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@beachthunder: Holy shit that box art is amazing. I have to check that game out. And just plain old Dark Void too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.