Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 07, 2013

Sequel to the PSP Akiba's Trip, where the player hunts down vampires and strips them of their clothing in the Tokyo district Akibahara.

AKIBA’S TRIP: Undead & Undressed. coming to the west

• 65 results
    Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks like Xseed is on a role right now. With Trails in the sky FC for PC coming soon and also SC announced for summer Xseed was now teasing another great game which would be perfect Quicklook potential. PR goes already out.

No Caption Provided

What is this game about? Basically you are going around and beat up and strip people mostly women of their clothes^^

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm not sure if "what the fuck" entirely encapsulates my reaction.

"What the fuck were they thinking, why the fuck does this exist, how the fuck did they get money to make it, and who the fuck wants to buy this?" works a little better.

This might be too creepy for a Quick Look.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Atwa

Wait is it confirmed already? I only saw some teases, I hope it comes. OP's video is from the first game, the second one is being localized.

Edit: just saw the confirmation, really cool.

@believer258: I don't see why its creepy? I think that seems to be the default notion everyone leans back on as soon as something Japanese comes along that seems a bit different. Don't take it so seriously, its all in good fun.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

This might be too creepy for a Quick Look.

I feel I should get the capture equipment necessary to challenge that notion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

At some point, just quick looking something ironically may not be enough

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Looks fine to me!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Akiba's trip. I see what they did there... incredible.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

Wait is it confirmed already? I only saw some teases, I hope it comes. OP's video is from the first game, the second one is being localized.

@believer258: I don't see why its creepy? I think that seems to be the default notion everyone leans back on as soon as something Japanese comes along that seems a bit different. Don't take it so seriously, its all in good fun.

Loading Video...

Beating up women, taking their clothes, and making light of the whole thing is "all in good fun"?

Perhaps I need more context than a few gameplay videos in a language that I don't understand.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I watched the Tokyo Underground episode of Parts Unknown.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Atwa

@believer258 said:

@atwa said:

Beating up women, taking their clothes, and making light of the whole thing is "all in good fun"?

Perhaps I need more context than a few gameplay videos in a language that I don't understand.

Look at the videos? You beat up both genders equally and strip both genders equally. Is nudity so intimidating? There is nothing serious or malicious about it. You beat people up in a very colorful cartoony game and their clothes explode when they take damage. It seems to me you are looking for faults.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

Well shit only on Vita I assume? At first glance reminds me of Yakuza as far as the combat goes. Shit I really need to get a Vita don't I? Hatsune Miku also dropped yesterday on Vita as well.

Guess I was wrong. Coming to PS3 as well. Awesome this will be my summer game then.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Darji

@believer258: How about just do not try to take it seriously? Not everything needs to have a message or some political statement. It is just dumb fun nothing else. It is not disrespectful or creepy at all. It is just Japanese. You know the culture who gives a shit about political correctness . You know the better culture.

Also great to see that this is also coming ot Ps3 here. I do not have a vita but I will probably buy it for Ps3 now^^

No Caption Provided

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The premise of the game is that the enemies are actually some kind of vampire-demon things, and by stripping them you expose them to sunlight which kills them. Also it's interesting in that it uses a lot of real brands for stores and the like from the Akibahara area, so you can actually go visit, say, Super Potato.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258

@atwa said:

@believer258 said:

@atwa said:

Look at the videos? You beat up both genders equally and strip both genders equally. Is nudity so intimidating? There is nothing serious or malicious about it. You beat people up in a very colorful cartoony game and their clothes explode when they take damage. It seems to me you are looking for faults.

No, nudity isn't intimidating. I'm not looking for faults, but it appeared to be a game where you beat random people up to get rid of their clothes somehow, and it just came out of the blue. I mean, I don't know about you, but that struck me as fairly questionable at first. Also, I only watched about four or five minutes of the first video (where he only beat up women) and the above was my reaction. I did laugh at the silliness of it all, but that doesn't mean I can't also raise an eyebrow at it.

@darji said:

@believer258: How about just do not try to take it seriously? Not everything needs to have a message or some political statement. It is just dumb fun nothing else. It is not disrespectful or creepy at all. It is just Japanese. You know the culture who gives a shit about political correctness . You know the better culture.

Also great to see that this is also coming ot Ps3 here. I do not have a vita but I will probably buy it for Ps3 now^^

CENSORSHIP EVIL.

Come on, duder, I'm not looking to be politically correct, I don't need to take it seriously, and I'm not looking for a message or political statement. My gut reaction to (and I'll emphasize this in the vain hope that you people get it) BEATING PEOPLE, MOSTLY WOMEN, UP AND TAKING THEIR CLOTHES WAS THAT THE ACTIONS BEING TAKEN WERE A LITTLE QUESTIONABLE.

Yes, I understand it's not serious. Like I said above, I did laugh at it at first because it's so fucking stupid. But I also thought it was very creepy (because... do I need to repeat that?) and, since all I saw were women being beaten in the initial video, a little disrespectful too. You might be able to scratch that last one off since you can beat the shit out of both genders, but that was still my gut reaction.

And neither of you have given me some proper context, with which all of this could be solved.

As a side note, Darji, you should probably try looking into actual Japanese culture instead of picking all of it up from anime and video games. That's like judging American culture by its comic books and video games. You'd think that all Americans fantasize about poorly-justified displays of power and badass-ery or something.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@darji: @darji: dangerously low birth rates, pixelated genitals , cleavage shaming, cuddle clubs! Wow JapAn so sexually liberated not like UsA...^^^^^

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Socuteboss

The biggest crime here is the lack of buff men, who cares about stripping a bunch of skinny minis? I need me some real beef cake!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By pyromagnestir

BEATING PEOPLE, MOSTLY WOMEN, UP AND TAKING THEIR CLOTHES WAS THAT THE ACTIONS BEING TAKEN WERE A LITTLE QUESTIONABLE.

To be fair, Rabbids Go Home did that and it was pretty dumb fun and not even from Japan!

Loading Video...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Darji

@dallas_raines said:

@darji: @darji: dangerously low birth rates, pixelated genitals , cleavage shaming, cuddle clubs! Wow JapAn so sexually liberated not like UsA...^^^^^

These are different things. Beside the pixel stuff which is getting less and less these days Japan is probably the most open minded land about sexuality in our world today. There are no tabus at all in this scene. Every fantasy men or woman can have will be satisfied on a commercial level. Japan or even the rest of the world i pretty tame and america is even shaving common nudity all the time while no matter how violent something is is totally fine.

Stuff like Cuddle clubs or low birthrates have very different social backgrounds. Japan is a very work intensive country and with less and less free time there is no time or really willingness for real relationships which are time intensive and also can be very stressful. These people rather go to hostess or host clubs to get a bit attention from the otehr gender without any comitment, sex expectations or wahtssoever. They just want to spend some relaxing time in these clubs.

Again Japan has a big focus on sexualisation in their media world but it is equally sexualized. And I can tell you again I know a ton of japanese medial social and culture because that was what I was doing at my university as focus.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlexanderSheen

The camera seems clunky close to the walls and it flips out when you fight near at a transition point, otherwise it looks fine.

@atwa said:

@believer258 said:

@atwa said:

No, nudity isn't intimidating. I'm not looking for faults, but it appeared to be a game where you beat random people up to get rid of their clothes somehow, and it just came out of the blue. I mean, I don't know about you, but that struck me as fairly questionable at first. Also, I only watched about four or five minutes of the first video (where he only beat up women) and the above was my reaction. I did laugh at the silliness of it all, but that doesn't mean I can't also raise an eyebrow at it.

@darji said:

CENSORSHIP EVIL.

Come on, duder, I'm not looking to be politically correct, I don't need to take it seriously, and I'm not looking for a message or political statement. My gut reaction to (and I'll emphasize this in the vain hope that you people get it) BEATING PEOPLE, MOSTLY WOMEN, UP AND TAKING THEIR CLOTHES WAS THAT THE ACTIONS BEING TAKEN WERE A LITTLE QUESTIONABLE.

Yes, I understand it's not serious. Like I said above, I did laugh at it at first because it's so fucking stupid. But I also thought it was very creepy (because... do I need to repeat that?) and, since all I saw were women being beaten in the initial video, a little disrespectful too. You might be able to scratch that last one off since you can beat the shit out of both genders, but that was still my gut reaction.

And neither of you have given me some proper context, with which all of this could be solved.

As a side note, Darji, you should probably try looking into actual Japanese culture instead of picking all of it up from anime and video games. That's like judging American culture by its comic books and video games. You'd think that all Americans fantasize about poorly-justified displays of power and badass-ery or something.

Sequel to the PSP action-adventure game, where the player hunts down vampires and strips them of their clothing in the Tokyo district Akibahara.

This is on the top of the page, man. You beat up vampires to tear their clothes apart so they will exposed to sunlight. Is this really that hard to figure out or what?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: I've never paid attention to that.

Whatever, I posted a gut reaction on the internet. It happens.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks like we get a total original version with all the branding intact.Only thing that they were not able to translate because of licensing issues are some flyers (LOL)

As noted, the game will be released physically and digitally on both platforms, will have at LEAST Japanese audio (we're looking into the possibility of dual audio right now), will not be content-censored in any regard, and will still contain all existing depictions of licensed businesses in their original Japanese.

Strangely, there will be an omission due to legal reasons, but it's... not what you might think. Basically, the textual information accompanying the game's collectible ad flyers was legally unable to be translated -- it had to be left in the original Japanese, period. We're talking information like... the business hours, address and phone number of each business represented. Most of which is present on the graphical flyers anyway (albeit, again, in Japanese). And because user-interactive Japanese-only text is kind of a no-no in an otherwise English-translated western release, we had no choice but to remove that information -- so when you view ad flyers, you'll be viewing the untranslated graphical ads for these Akihabara businesses only, with no accompanying text.

But that is literally the only thing that had to be omitted, and we're actually hoping to make up for it by actually adding something -- but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there, and I don't want to get anyone's hopes up if it turns out not to be possible.

man talk about crazy stuff in this industry^^

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

How did this thread get so ugly so fast?

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

How did this thread get so ugly so fast?

Seriously, holy shit.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like every other week another "never getting localized" portable title gets a western release date, smaller publishers are willing to take risks with the 3DS and Vita because they haven't been cracked and hacked to oblivion. Yet.

The combat seems pretty bare bones but the story's supposed to be campy and funny, hopefully it translates well.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

When it's a game whose whole premise is about stripping people, the raised-eyebrow isn't because it's Japanese. It's because it's a game about stripping people.

I mean, more power to you if you can unironically enjoy it as goofy dumb fun. Just sayin' this isn't the place to pull out the "you just think it's weird because you don't understand Japan" argument.

This concept is objectively weird.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

When it's a game whose whole premise is about stripping people, the raised-eyebrow isn't because it's Japanese. It's because it's a game about stripping people.

Also, you have to acknowledge that while "Japan is weird" may not be the focal point of this discussion, it's still going to be present. People are still going to see this and think, "Stop it with the upskirt animes, Japan!"

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

I mean, more power to you if you can unironically enjoy it as goofy dumb fun. Just sayin' this isn't the place to pull out the "you just think it's weird because you don't understand Japan" argument.

weird sure bu far from creepy. But people these days use the word creepy for everything they personally do not like or feel a bit uncomfortable with. reminds me of the guy who filmed schoolkids falling on some ice while he was waiting for his daughter. Man this guy was even accused of a pedophile just because he filmed something funny. And most people also used the creepy card.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I can only give you a big fat "so?"

Just because misinformed jerks exist doesn't mean one should go and kneejerk the "QUIT PICKING ON JAPAN” thing at every slightly dissenting opinion. I'm kinda talking in general now, more than this particular thread. Both sides of the divide are too ready to pick fights with each other and spring to the defensive\offensive too quickly.

Personally, I'm an advocate of leaving the country of origin’s name out of it entirely when discussing the content of a game. Just talk about the game.

That said, this game's weird!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@superkenon said:

@atwa said:

weird sure bu far from creepy. But people these days use the word creepy for everything they personally do not like or feel a bit uncomfortable with. reminds me of the guy who filmed schoolkids falling on some ice while he was waiting for his daughter. Man this guy was even accused of a pedophile just because he filmed something funny. And most people also used the creepy card.

Schoolkids constantly falling on ice isn't particularly funny on account of them risking bruises, perhaps broken bones. Also filming schoolkids from a distance sounds creepy even if the intentions aren't suggestive in nature.

Also, if some random dude started pulling down people's pants, wouldn't you think he was a little creepy, too?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'm an advocate of leaving the country of origin’s name out of it entirely when discussing the content of a game. Just talk about the game.

I'd say don't when it's relevant to the game's content, but that's a case by case thing. Could be relevant for something like Shin Megami Tensei or The Walking Dead, for example.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I feel like this discussion combined with the Bombin' in the A.M. discussion is exactly why there needs to be a GB shirt that just says "Your Brain on Anime" with some insane image tied to it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I feel like this discussion combined with the Bombin' in the A.M. discussion is exactly why there needs to be a GB shirt that just says "Your Brain on Anime" with some insane image tied to it.

God, I would buy that shirt so fucking fast.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bybeach

I love that box art so mu.....

GAAAAAAH!

Oops, have to clean up. Had a Reproductive, True love, Masturbatory, Anime moment.

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

this is what megaman legends 3 would of looked like :[

i really like the look, but idk bout that gameplay, i don't have a problem with it (ethically)
    it just looks like it would become boring/repetitve.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's rated Cero C, which means that it wouldn't even have nudity, which with a concept like the one this game has, seems lame and tame.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Honestly my biggest attraction to this game is apparently how accurately they re-create Akihabara. I've never been to japan and if this is a pretty faithful recreation it could be a fun way to digitally explore Akihabara.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how in south park everything is fine even a man fucking a horse, but as soon it is Japan related OMG. This double standard needs to stop. Yes if this game would be a serious game maybe then but it is not supposed to be taken seriously. These double standards need to stop....

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Sergio

Personally, the only thing I found objectionable was that the gameplay they were showing was boring. Perhaps you get more moves and options as you play, but what was shown didn't seem as interesting as the premise suggested to me.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xseed posted something about the "questionable content"

First and foremost, do not judge this game harshly on the perv factor! Akiba's Trip is not a game meant to turn you on, but rather to make you laugh. All of its risque content exists to satirize the state of otaku culture in modern Japan, and it's actually a pretty scathing satire -- almost like a roast, mercilessly and downright cruelly poking fun at all the crazy and disturbing crap you see in modern Japan while also gleefully indulging in it, as if celebrating the very culture it mocks. As a result, it's a genuinely funny game with LOTS of laugh-out-loud moments, pop culture references and "smart jokes," in addition to things that are intentionally designed to squick you out a little. Tonally, it very much ranges from toilet humor to witty repartee, and the writing is quite excellent -- so much so that we've been really going back and forth on a lot of the finer points of its localization, as we want to make sure each scene maintains as much comedic impact and satirical poignancy in English as in Japanese.

I also don't want to hear anyone calling this game sexist, because (A) you strip just as many men as you do women (if not more!), and (B) any sexist elements that exist as part of the story are VERY CLEARLY there for social satire purposes. It's not like Killer Is Dead, where Gigolo Mode's satirical value is debatable (and I still say it's pure satire, for the record!) -- no, there's simply no debating it in Akiba's Trip, as the satire is generally pretty on the nose. ;)

So basically South Park in Japan^^

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#42  Edited By audioBusting

Like some others said, the videos make the game look kinda boring... At least games like South Park and Danganronpa have satisfying gameplay to carry the satirical content. I still like the concept, so I'll have to wait and see.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Darji

@audiobusting said:

Like some others said, the videos make the game look kinda boring... At least games like South Park and Danganronpa have satisfying gameplay to carry the satirical content. I still like the concept, so I'll have to wait and see.

Have they? I never played Dangaronpa but right now I am playing South park and the combat is pretty boring and easy and not very fun at all. The game is great though.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By geirr

Such Japan.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: you should get a job at fox news

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When did we stop being able to appreciate the dumbness of dumb things? All of you otakus and anti-otakus need to stop trying to ruin things for us moderates.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CaLe

@oldenglishc said:

When did we stop being able to appreciate the dumbness of dumb things? All of you otakus and anti-otakus need to stop trying to ruin things for us moderates.

I'm pretty sure there are some people around here who are in the pocket of big otaku and are out to silence any dissenters who may be promoting an anti-otaku agenda. The amount of pro-otaku rhetoric has drastically increased over the last few years, despite the foundation upon which this site was built. The Giant Bomb constitution states under Article III, Section 1, as written by one of the founding fathers: Anime is for jerks. It's written there plain as day, yet we now have an uprising of those who would defy the very foundation upon which this site was built? I try to stay as moderate as I can, but some things simply require a firm hand. Big otaku has extended its reach too far and it's encroaching upon the fundamental rights of both moderates and anti-otaku alike.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King

@cale said:

@oldenglishc said:

I'm pretty sure there are some people around who are in the pocket of big otaku and are out to silence any dissenters who may be promoting an anti-otaku agenda. The amount of pro-otaku rhetoric has drastically increased over the last few years, despite the foundation upon which this site was built. The Giant Bomb constitution states under Article III, Section 1, as written by one of the founding fathers: Anime is for jerks. It's written there plain as day, yet we now have an uprising of those who would defy the very foundation upon which this site was built? I try to stay as moderate as I can, but some things simply require a firm hand. Big otaku has extended its reach too far and it's encroaching upon the fundamental rights of both moderates and anti-otaku alike.

I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. It's exactly on the border.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CaLe
    Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Atwa

@superkenon said:

It is weird, I never said anything else. Weird is great! Creepy on the other hand, I don't think its in the least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.