Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

About Alan Wake.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jrodrz

Hey guys.

I've really benn thinking on these last couple of days if I should get Alan Wake. Reviews are positive and all, but I'm not really sure. I'm really worried because I don't have that much money to spend and I am wondering wether or not it will be a good purchase. 

Could you please help me out guys? I would really appreciate if you could share your experience with Alan Wake, and give me details about the gameplay, length, and overall quality of the game.

Thanks again,
    Cheers

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FourWude

The game is awesome. Very much like a RE4 in gameplay, but the graphics, story, music is generations ahead.

BUT, the game is short. You can complete the whole game and see all there is to see in less than 12 hours, if that.

So the choice is yours, short but great.

Also, if you do purchase, do a barndance when shady grove music comes on the radio.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By CptBedlam

You probably could get it cheap for like 20-30 bucks now. It's definitely worth that.

The game certainly offers a unique experience. No other game has the "out in the forest at night"-feeling down like AW. If you like good atmosphere in your games, get it. It's long enough as well, about 10 hours which is enough for this kind of game (it's a linear action adventure, not an rpg). I have ambivalent feelings towards the story though. I'm a huge fan of Lynch movies and games like Silent Hill 2 and it felt like a flat and forced mix of many generic mystery elements to me. Therefore I wasn't really sucked into the story as in games like SH2.

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By zegolf

See, I had the exact opposite view.  I just couldn't get into the game, and I have no idea why.  The story didn't really grab hold of me, and I don't really do the whole "jump scare, dark ambiance and atmosphere" type of games.  I actually bought this, then traded it in a few days later because, no matter how many times I tried to play it, I just couldn't get into it.  I hear the story is great, but I'd just as soon read a synopsis on wikipedia or something, than play the game.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CptBedlam
    @FourWude said:

"BUT, the game is short. You can complete the whole game and see all there is to see in less than 12 hours, if that."

What linear action adventure is considerably longer than that? AW is not an rpg.

The length felt completely fine to me.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CptBedlam
    @zegolf said:

" I hear the story is great, but I'd just as soon read a synopsis on wikipedia or something, than play the game. "

Even though I agree that the story is not that great, It'd be stupid to spoil it to yourself on wikipedia before playing the game.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Seems to be very hit or miss for a lot of people. 
    Personally, I loved the atmosphere and the premise and just really enjoyed the game all the way through.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By audiosnag

Hell yeah get it its a great game. I loved the story.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FourWude
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @FourWude said:
    "BUT, the game is short. You can complete the whole game and see all there is to see in less than 12 hours, if that."
    What linear action adventure is considerably longer than that? AW is not an rpg.  The lengh felt completely fine to me. "

In the totality of all that is videogaming the 12 hour benchmark, when factored in with the need to stretch out the funds is deemed to be on the shorter side. So gentleman, it is not a videogame that I can recommend based on longevity. Even though the genre it is a part of is on the shorter side in length scale, it is still on the whole not worth the purchase as a long term value, especially when considering the many ubiquitous alternatives at the original posters choice of whim. 

I hope I have made my point clear, adieu to you.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CptBedlam
    @FourWude said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @FourWude said:
    What linear action adventure is considerably longer than that? AW is not an rpg.  The lengh felt completely fine to me. "

In the totality of all that is videogaming the 12 hour benchmark, when factored in with the need to stretch out the funds is deemed to be on the shorter side. So gentleman, it is not a videogame that I can recommend based on longevity. Even though the genre it is a part of is on the shorter side in length scale, it is still on the whole not worth the purchase as a long term value, especially when considering the many ubiquitous alternatives at the original posters choice of whim. 

"
    That's just retared. Following your little "playtime"-rule, you could only recommend rpgs like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age to players who want a single player experience. 10 hours is totally fine for a single player action adventure.

Come on, name some linear action adventures that are considerably longer than 10 hours.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By benjaebe

I loved it, get it new so you can get the free DLC voucher. Got the collector's edition at launch and although it was kind of short, I really dig what the guys at Remedy did with it.

Still wish it had been a PC title, though.

Avatar image for burjeffton--defunct
    burjeffton--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 3

The game is super solid, but it's not a game you'll replay a lot. With no multiplayer it might be a game best bought used...

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

It's an amazing game and I'm glad I bought it on day 1. 

But if you don't have that much money you shouldn't be buying anything.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

I really wanted to like it, I REALLY WANTED TO LOVE THAT GAME. 

Ultimately I was disappointed by the story and the combat got really boring towards the end of the game for me. 

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blacklab

I think that to really get into this game, and get the full experience, you have to have enough patience to read all of the pages. If you're not a big reader, then skip it.  The game is story driven, and somewhat slow paced. It's not a shooter.

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By zegolf

I've also heard that, without the DLC, the ending is sub-par, so make sure you buy a retail copy, or at least plan on spending the money on the DLC.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FourWude
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @FourWude said:

" @CptBedlam said:

" @FourWude said:

"
    That's just retared. Following your little "playtime"-rule, you could only recommend rpgs like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age to players who want a single player experience. 10 hours is totally fine for a single player action adventure.  Come on, name some linear action adventures that are considerably longer than 10 hours. "

Not really. If you managed to pull your head out of your ass maybe you'd realise that MOST games last longer than 10 hours.

Heck even action adventure games like Lara Croft last longer than that. Sports games, Racing games, Puzzle games, Multiplayer component games, all have longer playtimes and longevity to them. A 10 hour game for a guy who says he's hard up for money isn't going to be satisfactory. And I haven't mentioned a single RPG game yet.

Now a 10 hour game might seem SATISFACTORY TO YOU, but to a lot of people who want longevity from their games it isn't.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GeekDown

I love everything about that game and it's my favorite game of the year, after Mass Effect 2 of course. Just buy it, it doesn't have any real replayability but it's still worth it.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tsolless

It's a great game, but really short and without much replayability.

It sounds as if you won't be able to buy another game for some time and want something that you can play for more than just one weekend. If this is the case, then Alan Wake is probably not for you.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I think you'd really enjoy it. First time through is about ten to twelve hours I think? Maybe shorter, but the good thing is the game is so good you'd probably like to go through it again and after that; maybe again. It's the game I think of most when it comes to games that came out this year, and I think even if you aren't going to play it again and again (even after the DLC if you got those), it's the game you'll think of most, and that counts a lot.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrodrz: The game is pretty short and since the gameplay can get real boring, you probably won't want to go through it again. 

You'd be better off buying Red Dead or Mass Effect 2.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bybeach

I can't know if you will like it. I certainly did. 

It just didn't seem to get the hype. It also tried shooting itself in the foot with some product placement that thankfully was very easy to ignore. So they failed at selling out, and suceeded creating a credibly good and story deep shooter'/adventure. 

I do understand the deliema. I hate buying hyped games, or games others like, and realize I tossed my monies away. But the only one to know is you.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jrodrz

Thanks guys. After reading all your threads, I've come to the conclusion that Alan Wake is not for me. If something really pisses me off is buying a short game. It makes me feel like I wasted my money. 

I made this thread because I'm traveling to the States on Wednesday and I was still a little dubious about buying AW. Now that I know all this, maybe I can focus on other games (most probably, I'll buy a used game)
    @tsolless:
    @Jamer91:
    @GeekDown:
    @FourWude:
    @zegolf:
    @CptBedlam:
    @blacklab:
    @Cloudenvy:
    @DrPockets000:
    @burjeffton:
    @benjaebe:
    @WinterSnowblind:
    @audiosnag: 
    @NTM:
    @Manhattan_Project:
     @bybeach: 

Thank you all for your comments. It's very hard to finally save enough money to make this trip and buy games. I'm really thankful with all of you for helping me out.
    Cheers, jrodrz.

JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JusticeCat

I think if the option is available to you, at least give it a rent.

tskunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By tskunk

I just had it sent to me from GameFly. I kept it for a week (I'd also gotten Medal of Honor the day Alan arrived), and finished the campaign on normal mode. It was a well-made game that I thoroughly enjoyed, but I had no qualms about sending it back after I'd completed the game's story.

Unless you're looking to get 100% achievements or you really like collecting stuff, I'd suggest this game as a rent.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By valrog

It's inspired by Lost, so yes. Definitely.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Jeust

I completed the game eight times, and playing my ninth.  

It doesn't have unlockables, although it has some cool collectibles like the pages of the novel he wrote and posters. 

Despite all the playthroughs i haven't collected them all. 

And the game is very atmospheric and it has an awesome story. 

I recommend it. 

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By epgpx

when the game ended and the cutscene played. it panned to the waitress from the restaurant with a grin and somebody was behind the window. Who was it? also... *spoilers*alan wake's character died in the story but hes still alive right?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust
    @EPGPX said:
    " when the game ended and the cutscene played. it panned to the waitress from the restaurant with a grin and somebody was behind the window. Who was it? also... *spoilers*alan wake's character died in the story but hes still alive right? "
    nop! Watch it again. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.