Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Alan Wake Impressions

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

I rented Alan Wake finally. So here 's just a quickie blog of things I like and hate, as usual:

+ Plays like an older style game. This is a good and bad for me.
    + Good story so far.
    + Episodic, so I know when to break.
    + Great atmosphere and I think it might be genuinely spooky later on.

- Doesn't feel 'next- gen' at all. Feels like an original Xbox game.
    - The worst lip syncing I've ever seen. Seriously. Not one word matches.
    - The hud seriously gets in the way. I wish maps were disabled for Hard and Nightmare modes.
    - Thermos hunting.
    - Energizer batteries... everywhere. I like they're in there but c'mon. Who leaves expensive batteries in the middle of no where?

And for a bonus, I'd like to comment on Madden 11 's rating. The reason Madden will never be any good is because these stupid reviewers keep giving Madden good scores. Madden 11 is the worst football game I've ever played. The GameFlow crap is just a way of saying "Pretty soon, you won't even need to PLAY the game!". The game has the same glitchy animations as the previous year. Graphics are near the same. Basically, it 's another "Roster Update" with a feature that takes AWAY from the gaming experience. Good luck, GameSpot and you're incredible writing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rented Alan Wake finally. So here 's just a quickie blog of things I like and hate, as usual:

+ Plays like an older style game. This is a good and bad for me.
    + Good story so far.
    + Episodic, so I know when to break.
    + Great atmosphere and I think it might be genuinely spooky later on.

- The worst lip syncing I've ever seen. Seriously. Not one word matches.
    - The hud seriously gets in the way. I wish maps were disabled for Hard and Nightmare modes.
    - Thermos hunting.
    - Energizer batteries... everywhere. I like they're in there but c'mon. Who leaves expensive batteries in the middle of no where?

And for a bonus, I'd like to comment on Madden 11 's rating. The reason Madden will never be any good is because these stupid reviewers keep giving Madden good scores. Madden 11 is the worst football game I've ever played. The GameFlow crap is just a way of saying "Pretty soon, you won't even need to PLAY the game!". The game has the same glitchy animations as the previous year. Graphics are near the same. Basically, it 's another "Roster Update" with a feature that takes AWAY from the gaming experience. Good luck, GameSpot and you're incredible writing.

darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By darkwingduck

- didnt notice the bad lip syncing or the hud being in the way, but ok 
     -you dont need to hunt thermos
     -ill give you the batterie-thing
    @DryvBy said:   

so what games do you consider to be "next" gen? original x box was years ago dude
    AnAngelCried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AnAngelCried

The batteries is what bothered you, really?  Not the enormous Verizon billboard or commercial?  Interesting...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anangelcried: Honestly, I never finished anything past the 2nd act. I was bored of it by then.
    grahf14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By grahf14

I'm playing through it right now, a little into act 3.  I like it, but I'm using a guide to get all the collectables...  So it gets a little tedious.  Also playing on hard which isnt too terribly hard but still makes it a little more tense.

I agree with you about the good story, but oddly enough I haven't noticed the crappy lip synching.  Maybe because I'm always looking back to the computer to check where the next mug is lol.

EvoHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By EvoHero

The unique style of presentation, in terms of the episodic format, doesn't completely make up for the terrible lip-sync, but it certainly lessens the blow. 

I feel like this game is on a short list of games that had good intentions, and just barely missed.  I did not mind the gameplay that much at all, but the look of the cutscenes just turned me off completely.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By vidiot
    @DryvBy said:

You are correct. It's not "next gen", the successor to the 360 will not be announced for sometime. Unless you have a time machine, although that wont make sense, because it's clearly a 360 game.  

What does a "next gen" game feel like?  
    More importantly: What does an original Xbox game "feel" like? 
    If not a literal description, then what does an original Xbox game "feel" like with -Insert whatever design/technical aspect you using the word "feel" to describe-
    Is there a standard of -aspect of game that confines with opinion, regarding games for the original Xbox platform specifically- that overshadows -aspect of game that doesn't confine with opinion, regarding games games in the future, or unknown generation of hardware- Is it technical? Mechanical
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy
    @vidiot: The current gen is considered the "Next gen". This includes Xbox 360, PS3, Wii.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot
    @Redbullet685 said:
    @vidiot: The current gen is considered the "Next gen". This includes Xbox 360, PS3, Wii.
    Why are we still doing this? People still say this? Why?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.