Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Alan Wake is kinda the worst game ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

holy shit this game.

It has taken me about a year to finally finish because of how many times I had to put it down out of pure frustration. For whatever reason, I found the difficulty spiked through the roof when you were forced to get past various 'possessed' truck tires, garbage bins and oil barrels. Also, wat?

For a game about a guy writing a fucking novel, the narrative is absolutely incomprehensible. What the hell is even happening?!

Plot summary:

A writer is trying to write but ghosts kidnap his wife or something. He grabs some flashlights because darkness and then fucking spare tires are trying to kill you so hide under this street light???

I'm too hungry and upset to finish this post.

also the last boss is a tornado.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By theacidskull

It may be a hunch, but the constant gaps over the year may have hindered your understanding of the narrative.

I haven't played the game though, so I wouldn't know whether it's great or horrible.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Holy shit this hyperbole.

The narrative is a bit cryptic, and it's obviously left unfinished (American Nightmare does little to advance the plot in a meaningful way) and the combat is at least functional. But Alan Wake is far, far from being the worst game ever. I beat it three times (twice on Xbox, of which one was a speedrun, and once on PC) and I don't recall having too much of a problem with the combat. Sometimes I had to be mindful of my ammo and life, but nothing that I couldn't manage. I'm pretty sure that you must be doing something completely wrong to make the game feel so off.

Playing a 10-hour over the span of a year probably didn't help you understanding what was happening or how the game had to be played, though.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The plot absolutley makes sense. Or, I remember thinking it made sense at the time. Alan wake is definitley something best experienced in a reasonably short amount of time - it'd be hard to get back into after a long gap, since the plot does get sort of complicated. I really liked it though, and the game's also got a ton of great references if you played the first two Max Paynes. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Alan Wake, but I'm not really bothered by people who don't like the things I like. What I don't understand though, is why you bothered to continue playing it. There are far better uses of your time than playing a game you already know you don't like (such as, playing a game you do like).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ohey I remember this name/avatar and the flamey tone. Can't connect it to a thread though....

Alan Wake is ok I dunno, I didn't really like it too much.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That bit in the woods at night was pretty crazy.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Relkin

"kinda the worst game ever" ................really?

Forget games that barely function. Forget those that don't aim higher than mediocre, and struggle to reach that goal. Forget games that literally rip off assets from other games.

Alan Wake is the worst...or no, actually it's not. The story is exceptionally convoluted (Obligatory Penny Arcade), but the game was solid. Moving around felt good, and narrowly dodging an enemies ax or sickle was exciting. The game looks great;(except up close; they shouldn't have done any closeups for those cutscenes, it looked tremendous at the normal camera distance) the way the light sparks off an enemy as you burn the darkness off of them was quite nice. Combat was more than competent, and there were many sections of the game that could just be run through; you didn't have to fight everything. The desperate run to the generator as the hordes close in was a good experience each time. And the stage fight? Man are you kidding? That was fucking awesome.

The game is pretty good, and the story is not "absolutely incomprehensible". I don't know...pay attention? I agree its nonsense but I understood it just fine and had a grand old time playing it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat episode 2 yesterday. I like it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EXTomar

This is an argument where I mostly agree. The combination of initially interesting but quickly repetitive combat, wonky model quality, and subject matter where a middling/terrible writer narrating to the audience is accurate but not engaging content.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're kinda' the worst game ever.

Thank you, I'm done.

Also, Alan Wake is a terrific game. Not as good as it could've been, but really good nonetheless.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked the gameplay quite a bit, but I remember literally laughing at the terrible story.

tumbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tumbell

I don't think alan wake is the worst game ever.

The problem i have with alan wake is the DLC. It felt like the difficulty took a huge spike. Still haven't completed it.

Also i know that's the point of the game, but i could not stand the enemies that spawned behind you.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rafaelfc

Alan Wake is one of my favorite games from the last generation. There were some really tense and some really funny moments in that game.

It has it's fair share of flaws, but goddamn if I didn't find it extremly fun,

Also, it was the first game I got all the achivements for (including the DLC) on the 360.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't think this is the right way to put it. It's not right to say it's the worst game ever.

It would be much more apt to say "Alan Wake is kind of a hot steaming pile of fucking garbage"

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything is the worst thing ever

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By splodge
    gunninkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this game. I recently played through the whole thing in a weeks time and it was one of my better gaming experiences. I also played it in the dark with headphones on every time I played it and I think it made the experience even better.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is kind of the worst thread ever. way to go O.P.'er

extra points for use of the dead-horse-phrasing

"blah blah blah? because blank."

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought Alan Wake was unenjoyable and not a good game, but even I can't agree with your hyperbole filled post.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Read a decently written, 6 page article over the span of a month and see if it makes sense.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Jeust
    @markm said:

It has taken me about a year to finally finish because of how many times I had to put it down out of pure frustration. For whatever reason, I found the difficulty spiked through the roof when you were forced to get past various 'possessed' truck tires, garbage bins and oil barrels. Also, wat?

Well if you dogded when they came at you, you probably would have missed a lot of hurt.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair it is a mediocre game.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I didn't have any particular problems with it. It was definitely a game that fit into the "good not great" category for me. The combat was functional if unspectacular - something I found more interesting in concept than actual execution. The plot was also completely comprehensible, although it did suffer from the Lost syndrome of "ending" while refusing to provide an actual conclusion. Might help if you didn't chop it up over the course of a year.

Also, Night Springs.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alan Wake is a dumb game and only dumb people like it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tobbrobb said:

Ohey I remember this name/avatar and the flamey tone. Can't connect it to a thread though....

This one

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#28 FinalDasa  Moderator

I don't mind a discussion about your feelings towards a game but make them a bit more complete. Also don't spoil games no matter your opinion on them.

In the future maybe think about what you want to write before putting your thoughts on a forum topic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.