Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Alan Wake on PC is glorious!

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By Bojangle
    Alan Wake is a game I've wanted to play for a long, long time. I was holding out that Remedy would come through with their promise of bringing it to PC, and eventually, they only went and bloody did it. Boy was it worth the wait.

All taken at max settings, I'm sure you'll agree it looks stunning. Graphics aside, the game is excellent too, I'm really enjoying the narrative, The manuscripts are a stroke of genius and make the whole thing so tense when you know what's coming up soon, but not quite when.
    Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bojangle
    Alan Wake is a game I've wanted to play for a long, long time. I was holding out that Remedy would come through with their promise of bringing it to PC, and eventually, they only went and bloody did it. Boy was it worth the wait.

All taken at max settings, I'm sure you'll agree it looks stunning. Graphics aside, the game is excellent too, I'm really enjoying the narrative, The manuscripts are a stroke of genius and make the whole thing so tense when you know what's coming up soon, but not quite when.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Sooty

Those screenshots are downsized which is a bit misleading, but yeah it looks pretty good.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bojangle

@Sooty: Yeah, you're right. Sadly that's down to Flickr downsizing them. The added visual oomph really adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game though, really sucks you in.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

I already thought it looked great (aside from alot of the people), but those are definitely an improvement. I'll be sure to grab it when it goes on sale.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

Yup, the 360 really does feel like how I remember original Xbox games looked at the end of that cycle. Even so, I already thought Alan Wake looked amazing (except for the faces), but on PC it's sooooo much better.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By lethalki11ler

@Bojangle: Yeah but even with the downsize it looks amazing. I have a 360 version but will contemplate replaying it. Especially if American Nightmare comes out on PC too

Also may I know your computer specs?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

I originally played this on the XBOX, and graphically speaking you can kind of tell it was in development for a long time. At least, with the cut scenes anyway there's a noticeable difference. I've heard this is not really changed in the PC version. Doesn't really detract from the game but is something I  noticed. 

Anyway, I am going to get this on steam eventually. I still gotta play the second DLC and then whenever it comes to PC the new American Nightmare Expansion. I really like this game too. =)

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bojangle

@AndrewB: Yeah, my only complaint about the PC version is that it seems like they didn't do anything to the cutscenes/videos which still seem to be 360 quality. It's a really jarring switch between the in game visuals and those, when they occur. A shame they didn't re-record them or something. Apart from that I think it's a great port. I haven't tried the 3D side of it though, which I've heard is a bit ropey.

With the news of it already turning a profit, here's hoping for American Nightmare coming to PC too, and eventually AW2!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheHT

Absolutely. Not only does it look great, but like you said the game itself is fantastic. Definitely worth the purchase and then some.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bojangle
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndrewB

@Bojangle: Ouch! I can see how that would totally take you out of the experience. Hell, they could have made all those cutscenes real-time.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By spazmaster666

Agreed. This game looks absolutely stunning at 2560x1440 with max settings. Unfortunately the SLI profile is buggy so I'm kinda forced to play it at 1080p with one card (I compensate for it by playing it on my TV instead of my monitor). It still looks great though. This is one situation where the improved graphics definitely improve the atmosphere/immersion and hence the game overall.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

Games are going to look amazing when they figure out how to do hair.

Bojangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bojangle

@Jimbo: Haha, so true. It's the one thing I always notice. Even something like The Witcher 2 which looks stunning in my opinion, has pretty terrible looking hair. When they crack doing hair good, we know we're there!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Jackel2072
    @nintendoeats said:

I already thought it looked great (aside from alot of the people), but those are definitely an improvement. I'll be sure to grab it when it goes on sale.

like today? its 15 bucks on Steam
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By nintendoeats

@Jackel2072 said:

@nintendoeats said:

I keep staring at it and thinking "No. You don't need this. You don't have money. Your busy. Don't buy it."

Unfortunately the reasonable side if me is actually prevailing in this case.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By korwin

The PC version makes some really welcome improvements over the Xbox version. The higher resolution and better assets coupled with the updated lighting make things look really great (not to mention a nice smooth 60 fps). Also the changes they've made to the aiming mechanic's really tighten up the combat somewhat making it much more enjoyable, even if the enemy variety is a little lean still.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jackel2072
    @nintendoeats said:

@Jackel2072 said:

@nintendoeats said:

I keep staring at it and thinking "No. You don't need this. You don't have money. Your busy. Don't buy it."

Unfortunately the reasonable side if me is actually prevailing in this case.

if it makes you feel any better i was going through the same thing... then i bought Grimrock instead. 
    impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By impartialgecko

Any idea if this will run okay at 1680x1050 on a GTS 450? I don't play AAA games on PC so I don't want to upgrade but I missed this when it came out on 360

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I bought an xbox for this game.

It wasn't worth it. Not that I hated the game, it's was pretty awesome, but the lack of ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I think I may buy in. Steam has it for $7.49 this weekend.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crithon

I love that one of the graphic options is called "Godrays."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.