Alan Wake PC makes money back in 48 hours

#1 Posted by Vitor (2810 posts) -
#2 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

wait isn't alan wake just that deadly premonition knock off?

#3 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

That's awesome to hear!

I really don't have the money (despite the low price for CE) to buy it right now, but good to hear it is doing well.

Loved the 360 version.

#4 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

Good. I'm still waiting on that sequel, with hopefully a better premise than more of the first game. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first game; I just need something different if I'm going to be interested in actually *playing* more of it, and not just experiencing it through text.

#5 Posted by Skytylz (4029 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Yeah, it's the one that doesn't suck.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

Good! I'd get it myself, but two playthroughs were enough.

#7 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Waiting for the physical Collectors Edition in March! If Remedy makes games for PC again I'm gonna be so fucking happy. 

Sam Lake's celebratory face: 

#8 Posted by SnowyPliskin (99 posts) -

Wasn't there ment to be a QuickLook today for American Nightmare?

#9 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -

@SnowyPliskin said:

Wasn't there ment to be a QuickLook today for American Nightmare?

Yes, but apparently GB chickened out...

#10 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Fuck, awesome for them. They're excited about the PC, I'm excited about the PC, hopefully American Nightmare comes out soon.

#11 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

This makes me less ashamed that I didn't pick it up ^^. I'm not intersted enough to ignore a potential steam sale.

#12 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -

Wohoo, great to hear/read.

#13 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

This times a million.

#14 Edited by AssInAss (2541 posts) -

Fuck yes, vindication for double-dipping on 360 and now PC version for me! I love the additional features, like in-game developer commentary which more games need to do.

Love Remedy, let me give you guys a hug.

#15 Posted by Dread612 (167 posts) -

Hopefully this will encourge other developers that migrated to console to release again for the pc.

#16 Posted by SnowyPliskin (99 posts) -

So, we are not getting the QuickLook?

Anyone with information?

#17 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

Would be cool if that would motivate them to do a PS3 version :)

I would LOVE to play that game ^^

#18 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Yay!

@Morrow said:

Uh... you know Alan Wake is published by Microsoft, right?

#19 Edited by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

Yay!

@Morrow said:

Yeah but if I remember right it was announced for both xbox and PS3 back then.

Edit: I might be confusing it with I am Alive tho :D

#20 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Alan Wake is a masterpiece. Deadly Premonition is an hysterical piece of shit.

#21 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Only on Xbox, it was self-published on PC, although I don't know if that means Microsoft still has exclusive publishing rights for the console version. Remedy still owns the Alan Wake IP so a multiplat sequel isn't out of the question.

I was really surprised with this port, if you can even call it that compared to the ports PC usually gets. This game actually has high resolution textures, none of that Capcom bullshit.

#22 Edited by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@iAmJohn said:

Yay!

@Morrow said:

No you're right, Alan Wake was originally announced for PS3, but they didn't have a publisher at the time. When Microsoft announced they were publishing it, that version disappeared for pretty self-explanatory reasons.

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@iAmJohn: Only on Xbox and Microsoft doesn't own the Alan Wake IP. Remedy does.

I was really surprised with this port, if you can even call it that compared to the ports PC usually gets. This game actually has high resolution textures, none of that Capcom bullshit.

Or what he said!

#23 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@iAmJohn:

Capcom still make some of the best ports from console to PC. Incredible optimisation.

#24 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Morrow said:

@iAmJohn said:

Yay!

@Morrow said:

No you're right, Alan Wake was originally announced for PS3, but they didn't have a publisher at the time. When Microsoft announced they were publishing it, that version disappeared for pretty self-explanatory reasons.

Ah, I see, I missed that part.

#25 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@Sooty: Yeah, I'd guess they'd have to since their arcade titles are pretty much running on glorified PCs nowadays. Hell you can run Taito Type X2 games on the PC at full speed. It's just not necessarily legal.

#26 Posted by bybeach (4724 posts) -

Gawd I want to get this, and a voice keeps saying no, u must wait for steam sale. Hate that voice that uses u for you. I already have the 360 version and I am getting American nightmare..but is there really a threat of that also coming out on PC?

And as for resemblance of sorts to DP, one could say there is a lot of Stephen King influence in Alan Wake , more-so than Lynch in my mind. Mr. Scratch in American Nightmare(I thought he be a charactor also in Alan Wake ?) comes off as pure extension of Stephen King creation.

Very glad the PC version is rocking, looking forward to eventually getting it.

#27 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -
#28 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Good for them. Though the costs of porting a game are not nearly as high as the actual development costs.

#29 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@JacDG: Pretty sure it has everything, including the collector's edition DLC which is free when you purchase before February 24th.

#30 Posted by Mijati (884 posts) -

@SnowyPliskin: American Nightmare quicklook likely got stuck in the system and will be up soon. Same happened with I Love Mondays which was due up at 2PM GMT and didn't go up until around 6PM GMT)

#31 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@Sooty: Yeah, I'd guess they'd have to since their arcade titles are pretty much running on glorified PCs nowadays. Hell you can run Taito Type X2 games on the PC at full speed. It's just not necessarily legal.

DMC4 and Resident Evil 5 were both really great ports too. I wish MvC3 was out on PC, I'm sure SF x Tekken will be fantastic as well.

#32 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Waiting for the physical Collectors Edition in March! If Remedy makes games for PC again I'm gonna be so fucking happy.

uh... before Alan Wake, Remedy made Max Payne, and Max Payne 2. All of which were PC/console games. The only reason Alan Wake wasn't on the PC is because of a last minute change of heart by Microsoft.

#33 Posted by NTM (7264 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

Yeah, and I didn't even have to buy or play Deadly Premonition to know that. Get it? Never mind.

#34 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

Yeah, and I didn't even have to buy or play Deadly Premonition to know that. Get it? Never mind.

It's funny because Deadly Premonition is a better game than Alan Wake. >:(

#35 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@JacDG: Pretty sure it has everything, including the collector's edition DLC which is free when you purchase before February 24th.

Cool, loved the vanilla game on 360 which I borrowed from a friend, guess I'll buy the game for real and play the DLC so I'm setup for American Nightmare and hopefully a sequel, just hope I can run it.

#36 Posted by NTM (7264 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

I'm not laughing. That wasn't a very good joke.

#37 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@bybeach said:

And as for resemblance of sorts to DP, one could say there is a lot of Stephen King influence in Alan Wake , more-so than Lynch in my mind. Mr. Scratch in American Nightmare(I thought he be a charactor also in Alan Wake ?) comes off as pure extension of Stephen King creation.

Well, Alan Wake himself does actually namedrop Stephen King in the game.
#38 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@NTM said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

The joke is the part where I kill you. >:(

#39 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@Animasta said:

O_O

Thems fightin' words.

@Klei said:

@Animasta said:

Alan Wake is a masterpiece. Deadly Premonition is an hysterical piece of shit.

It's not a hysterical piece of shit. It's a game that plays very poorly and looks poor wrapped in a thick veil of charm and craziness.

Your first statement was spot on, though.

@AssInAss said:

Fuck yes, vindication for double-dipping on 360 and now PC version for me! I love the additional features, like in-game developer commentary which more games need to do.

Love Remedy, let me give you guys a hug.

The in-game developer commentary was part of the Collector's Edition on consoles. I loved it. I am curious, however, if that stuff happens to be more in-depth than what was with the CE.

#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

uh... before Alan Wake, Remedy made Max Payne, and Max Payne 2. All of which were PC/console games. 

<=== You don't say....!

The only reason Alan Wake wasn't on the PC is because of a last minute change of heart by Microsoft.

Doesn't change the fact that they haven't released a PC game since 2003. Currently they're considered a console developer, and I'm glad that this is apparently about to change.
#41 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Good on 'em! They did the right thing with this PC release, and I'm glad it's paying off for them.

#42 Posted by NTM (7264 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@iAmJohn said:

@NTM said:

@Skytylz said:

@Animasta said:

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@bybeach said:

Gawd I want to get this, and a voice keeps saying no, u must wait for steam sale. Hate that voice that uses u for you

Haha. 

@CptBedlam said:

Good for them. Though the costs of porting a game are not nearly as high as the actual development costs.

Apparently, it's a very well-done port with proper PC assets and all kinds of graphical enhancements. Gotta be more expensive than just making the game work with a mouse and keyboard like other fucking ports out there.
#44 Posted by TheHT (10876 posts) -

lol what marketing expenses? Alan Wake on PC was a stealth release.

#45 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

So about 25 copies or something?

#46 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Loved Alan Wake, as a sound engineer I hated the weapon sounds, totally squashed waveforms that was loud as hell but had no texture. But if thats the only thing I can complain about...... :D

#47 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@CptBedlam said:

Apparently, it's a very well-done port with proper PC assets and all kinds of graphical enhancements. Gotta be more expensive than just making the game work with a mouse and keyboard like other fucking ports out there.

Yeah I've seen some comparisons, looks good on PC. But still, these costs shouldn't be confused with actual production costs of the game.

#48 Posted by mrcraggle (1821 posts) -

I didn't wanna get it as I already own it on the 360 and I've completed it but I ended up buying it anyway :/

It was only £20 thanks to GreenManGaming and it comes with the soundtrack as well as in game video commentary.

#49 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

I bought it because of two reasons
1: It's an excellent game.
2: I borrowed the 360 version from a friend so I want to support Remedy by buying the PC version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.