Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Either DLC worth getting?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

I'm giving the game another chance because of the bombcast and just bringing back how much I enjoyed the story but the combat is where I stopped 2 years ago when I last played it. But since I don't get rid of games anymore and decided to make better choices at what I buy and will become more of a collector. On that point is either the Signal or Writer worth spending money on? Keep in mind that I'm more interested in the story than the actual gameplay so does either have a fantastic story that I shouldn't miss as I venture into this game once again?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

IIRC, both are more action heavy than story heavy. Or atleast the first one is

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Vonocourt

The Writer is pretty dope. Didn't bother with the Signal after how dismissive the crew was on the bombcast.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

The Signal is fine. The Writer is fucking awesome and a goddamn must.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bybeach

they need to import the auto pistol. Never happen but that alone makes that game's combat much more fun. Still, i'm going to buy the pc version in time, and I remember one of the dlc's being very strong. Oh and in my humble opinion, American Nightmare was better than a 3 star review.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TentPole

@Meowayne said:

The Signal is fine. The Writer is fucking awesome and a goddamn must.

The Writer is the best Alan Wake content to date.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrPockets000

Yes. Both are great but I am also a hardcore Alan Wake fan.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By ddensel

The Signal was free with a new copy of Alan Wake, don't know if that's still the case. The price is right anyway.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By DJJoeJoe

PC version comes with all the DLC and looks great, though I suspect you only want to play it on your ps3 copy of the game?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BionicRadd

@DJJoeJoe said:

PC version comes with all the DLC and looks great, though I suspect you only want to play it on your ps3 copy of the game?

That would be a neat trick

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@BionicRadd: Ah right I forgot it's a 360/PC only game still, I just glanced at the dudes name and it as blue and assumed he wasn't wanting to buy the PC version. I own Alan Wake on 360 but also purchased it on PC because the visual bump is worth it if you really are a fan of the games aesthetic, especially since the 360 version is famous for not running at 720 for it's effects and various other things and instead kinda doing a really smart job of getting some stuff rendered at 540 for performance sake. PC version with my 360 controller is really great and worth it if you have the money and desire to play the game again along with the 2 DLCs.

Alan Wake on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710/

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Story-wise both DLC add 0.001% to the plot, and you get the information about it on wikipedia.So don't play it for the plot.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By david3cm

Having just beat it Alan Wake I was also wondering about the DLC and it looks like The Writer may be the piece to get. My question is can I just play the Writer, or are there story beats in the Signal that I need to know about for the second piece of content to make sense?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Both of the DLC packages were fucking excellent.

orshick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By orshick

Both are amazing. Remedy iterated on their concept of Alan Wake for a long ass time, but sadly even in the main game, it seems they fell short of the mark. The silver lining though is they actually find the right balance in the DLC. Rather than making a limp nod to more heady and serious fiction of the likes of Twin Peaks and Stephen King's writings, the DLC more or less plays like a more low brow (b-movie if you will) romp, that actually has good, entertaining writing, and actually takes advantage of the dream/fantastic logic they had going on for clever gameplay set pieces.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BrockNRolla

Though people seem to be mainly going on about how awesome these pieces of DLC were, I'm going to challenge that and say: don't play them.

Alan Wake has a perfect, dark ending in my book, and I think playing the DLC takes away the boldness of that conclusion. I think that's a real shame. When I think of the series, I prefer to think of it with the game's original ending, not the appended DLC storyline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.