Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Finally Played the Damn Game

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By Fisco

So Alan Wake showed up in the mail the other day. (Yes I have Gamefly, it works for us college gamers) After hearing Brad's praise of the game and watching enough quicklooks and gameplay footage of the game to make me feel like I had already played it I decided to give it a whirl anyway. As somewhat of a side note I hate survival horror games, I'm not a huge fan of being tense while gaming and I hate surprises. Needless to say this game has plenty of the aforementioned qualities and I still came away from Alan Wake with an immense feeling of happiness.

Everything from the gripping story to the mostly tight controls made each plot point and gunfight more and more enjoyable. The fact that this game came out over a year ago only adds to its credit. Since I can't always get the newest games when they come out I try to buy the best of the best when they're available and let others fall by the wayside. However, Alan Wake is a game that should not be missed by anyone. It has it's rough spots and it isn't perfect by any means but if you like interesting gunplay, gripping stories, or both you should really give this game a whirl.

I think it says a lot that I played through the game much like how I read an intense novel, pushing ahead with as much effort as possible to reach the next event or reveal. If you let Alan Wake slip by you and still are unsure of whether or not to play it just go buy it, rent it, or steal it and give it a go. It's worth a playthrough.

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fisco

So Alan Wake showed up in the mail the other day. (Yes I have Gamefly, it works for us college gamers) After hearing Brad's praise of the game and watching enough quicklooks and gameplay footage of the game to make me feel like I had already played it I decided to give it a whirl anyway. As somewhat of a side note I hate survival horror games, I'm not a huge fan of being tense while gaming and I hate surprises. Needless to say this game has plenty of the aforementioned qualities and I still came away from Alan Wake with an immense feeling of happiness.

Everything from the gripping story to the mostly tight controls made each plot point and gunfight more and more enjoyable. The fact that this game came out over a year ago only adds to its credit. Since I can't always get the newest games when they come out I try to buy the best of the best when they're available and let others fall by the wayside. However, Alan Wake is a game that should not be missed by anyone. It has it's rough spots and it isn't perfect by any means but if you like interesting gunplay, gripping stories, or both you should really give this game a whirl.

I think it says a lot that I played through the game much like how I read an intense novel, pushing ahead with as much effort as possible to reach the next event or reveal. If you let Alan Wake slip by you and still are unsure of whether or not to play it just go buy it, rent it, or steal it and give it a go. It's worth a playthrough.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I loved it too. It's just kinda sad that the end isn't properly explained without playing the DLC.

(I still haven't done that. I'm an awful person.)

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fisco

Yeah a solid ending would've been nice, I don't think I'll ever get around to the DLC...maybe next year?

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dingofighter

I thought it was a great game, really liked the combat and the atmosphere. Dodging in this game feels awesome every time.

I just kinda wish there were more daylight sequences where you just talked to people, both to get a break from the combat and to flesh out the characters some more.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

I actually bought the 2nd DLC, but still haven't gotten around to buying the 1st, so I obviously haven't started the second. Weird situation. I should fix it soon.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By FireBurger

My experience was much like yours. I had completely skipped over the game because it's not a genre I usually play and it didn't get stellar reviews, but I finally decided to give it a go a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I think it has one of the best atmospheres of any recent game I've played, an interesting story, good characters, and tight gameplay. Definitely glad I decided to check it out as it's now one of my favorite 360 games.

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fisco

@MaFoLu said:

I thought it was a great game, really liked the combat and the atmosphere. Dodging in this game feels awesome every time.

I just kinda wish there were more daylight sequences where you just talked to people, both to get a break from the combat and to flesh out the characters some more.

Agreed, they were really a nice break from all the craziness. I especially liked how the (spoiler?) final day sequence feels so comfortable only to become the most ridiculous sequence in the game.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By louiedog

After reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to be another bitchfest about how Alan Wake sucks and is overrated. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not much of a survival horror fan myself, not because of the stress they usually create or jump scares, but because they usually contain game mechanics that I just can't get past. I really enjoyed this one. They didn't use difficult controls to create tense moments or anything like that.

The collector's edition actually has developer commentary, one of my favorite non-game features in games. Valve has done it with their stuff for the past few years, and it was in the Monkey Island 2: Special Edition, but it's still pretty rare. I love the behind the scenes stuff and finding out the why and how of games that I really like. I hope it catches on and becomes more common.

My only real complaint is as JJWeatherman said, the DLC is pretty much required for the ending. Like you, I often play games awhile after their initial release. Luckily for me I got it at the same time the DLC was way on sale, so I had it installed and ready to go when I finished the content that was on the disc.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

The combat wasn't great, but the atmosphere was fucking incredible.

I hope the poor sales haven't killed any chance of a sequel. The story needs to be finished, and if the combat is overhauled it could be a masterpiece.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

I loved Alan Wake.  My primary complaint was that it was too easy.  On Normal I had so much super-ammo that the final boss was trivial.  The DLC was good but not amazing.  The collectibles were poorly done (but that is practically an industry complaint).  But the story and atmosphere were top notch.  It was just a joy to play through. 
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By buft

need to play this myself. i really dont know why i never bought it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

I couldn't put this game down when I played it, but I fucking hated the combat. Guess that speaks to how good the storytelling was though.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ShaggE

Isn't it great? The sequel can't come soon enough.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@JJWeatherman: The first DLC doesn't do anything for the story, in my opinion. It's more of a combat challenge. The second DLC may clear some things up. Here's my review for that, but you probably already saw it.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Alphazero

@JJWeatherman said:

I loved it too. It's just kinda sad that the end isn't properly explained without playing the DLC.

The Writer is quite good. Great trippy/fun-house environments to flashlight and fight through. I didn't like the The Signal as much.

I sure hope they get to make a proper sequel. Alan Wake had my favorite story since Bioshock.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By me3639

One of my favorites, hoping for a sequel.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Meowayne

Congratulations on playing an amazing, amazing game. I never understood the sadness about the ending, I loved the it, it rounded things up very nicely. Although I also loved what they did in "The Writer". Best money I've spent on videogames in a long time.

Can't wait for the inevitable season 2.

Oh, and if you haven't, definitely(!) check out the "Bright Falls" miniseries on XBL.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By falconer

@JJWeatherman said:

I actually bought the 2nd DLC, but still haven't gotten around to buying the 1st, so I obviously haven't started the second. Weird situation. I should fix it soon.

Did you get the 2nd DLC when it was on sale. *whispers* Cause I totally did too...

I'm slowly making my way through it. I think I'm about half way through. I watched all of Twin Peaks after starting the game and love it even more now.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By RockAction

I enjoyed the game too, still have to play through the writer and buy the signal, but the waning story put me off 

still a fun game to play and the people and environments are interesting, hopefully a sequel will match the potential the first didn't entirely live up to 

i understand the game was originally intended as an open world game, which i think would have maybe added a bit more to that feeling of isolation and struggle instead of just run to the end of the current map and as is suggested above more daylight phases would be cool, especially if it was open world, to get a better feeling of the world/fiction it tries to establish 

good game though, and i'm definitely hopeful for a sequel, been a while since i played it, might buy the last DLC pack the signal and play through all of it in one go

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really awesome game. I remember renting this last year and playing the whole  game in one sitting. 

Gonna buy it now it's really cheap. Really want to play that DLC...

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By rjayb89

I have the game, got it as a download for $10 because some guy was overstocked with them on Amazon I guess. I haven't gathered up the courage to play it as this type of genre isn't exactly what I go for. Had it been more action-packed like a Dead Space or Resident Evil, I probably would've been more enticed to play it despite its somewhat scary atmosphere. Great combat and controls is something that makes me less uneasy in dark areas. Someday I will play this. I can't just have this thing on my hard drive not doing anything for too long.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By swoxx

@JJWeatherman said:

This is exactly my thoughts. I want to want to go back and play the DLC. I just don't actually want to. :(

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy
    @swoxx said:

@JJWeatherman said:

This is exactly my thoughts. I want to want to go back and play the DLC. I just don't actually want to. :(

The DLC pieces are actually amazing. Some of the best post game DLC out there. It is kind of a cheap move to put the true ending in the DLC but if you bought the game new you got one of them free so really you're only paying 560 MSP for both of them which is awesome.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I can't get past that goddamn stage fight.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By Gizmo

Being a huge King fan I was very frustrated when the plot became too confusing for me to follow, I loved the atmosphere, the cinematic feel of the game and the dialogue, but the confusing story soured the experience for me slightly. 

However, I would totally recommend this game to anyone wanting an atmospheric experience and/or Stephen King fans.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By louiedog
    @JJWeatherman said:

Both Alan Wake DLC packs are on sale this week. You have no excuse to not get that first one now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.