Gunshots in Alan Wake

Posted by bananaz (253 posts) -

There's a strange thing when I play Alan Wake. My parents are disturbed by it when they sit in the other room, while various shooters and far more violent games go mostly unnoticed by comparison. It's because of the gunshots. When I figured this out, it made me realize how awesome that is, because gunshots in that game bother me too. They're not weak, poofy sounds that blend into an ambiance of war. They're not deep with bass, to convey mastery over power. They pop with combustion and ring like a ringing in your ear. They convey that you are out of your league. That sound jumps higher than anything else and isn't nice to hear. It isn't pleasurable to fire the gun. Even the clash of light with the darkness has a grating sound, like a sparkler scratching a metal plate. It is the sound of a violent chemical reaction, a sonic short-hand for conflict. All of this, not blending into the din of some busy battlefield or arena swarming with enemies, but in contrast to the dark and lonely woods against a few enemies at a time. I want to applaud the sound design in Alan Wake. It truly is the most violent-sounding game I have.

#1 Posted by bananaz (253 posts) -

There's a strange thing when I play Alan Wake. My parents are disturbed by it when they sit in the other room, while various shooters and far more violent games go mostly unnoticed by comparison. It's because of the gunshots. When I figured this out, it made me realize how awesome that is, because gunshots in that game bother me too. They're not weak, poofy sounds that blend into an ambiance of war. They're not deep with bass, to convey mastery over power. They pop with combustion and ring like a ringing in your ear. They convey that you are out of your league. That sound jumps higher than anything else and isn't nice to hear. It isn't pleasurable to fire the gun. Even the clash of light with the darkness has a grating sound, like a sparkler scratching a metal plate. It is the sound of a violent chemical reaction, a sonic short-hand for conflict. All of this, not blending into the din of some busy battlefield or arena swarming with enemies, but in contrast to the dark and lonely woods against a few enemies at a time. I want to applaud the sound design in Alan Wake. It truly is the most violent-sounding game I have.

#2 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Alan Wake is awesome. That is all.

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I agree. Even if you don't love the gun-play the guns feel like guns in a way I haven't seen since RE4, at least in a 3rd person shooter anywise. Playing this game in the middle of the night with the sound turned up I really thought it was one of the scarier games out there. I know most people thought it wasn't scary but it is up there with Condemned 1, Silent Hill 1, the original AVP, Amnesia, and Dead Space 1 in my book.

#4 Edited by DeF (4776 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Totally agree :) (except for the HUD design ... and the facial animations in cut scenes)

#5 Posted by bybeach (4702 posts) -

Alan Wake fan also. And I even enjoyed the combat.

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@DeF said:

@MikeGosot said:

Totally agree :) (except for the HUD design ... and the facial animations in cut scenes)

I don't remeber the HUD actually. How it was? I remember that i kinda of broke the game and was tense as fuck.  It was in the part where a guy is opening a door for you and you need to use the flares in front of you. Things is, i've already used the flares before he started opening the door... And the waves of guys that came afteer me was... Well... IT WAS INTENSE, MAN! IT WAS HARD! 
Also, that rock show. That was awesome.
#7 Posted by DeF (4776 posts) -

@MikeGosot: oh yea, that stage show was ridiculous :D

the constant presence of the current objective and the ugly quest pointer/health meter circle thing are extremely distracting

#8 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@DeF: Oh, the objective thing is atrocious. I remember now. The quest marker actually helped me a few times, so that's okay. 

@bybeach said:

Alan Wake fan also. And I even enjoyed the combat.

The combat was good, man. I loved it.
#9 Posted by DeF (4776 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@DeF: Oh, the objective thing is atrocious. I remember now. The quest marker actually helped me a few times, so that's okay.

the quest maker existing would be fine but it's the way it is presented ... it just doesn't look good ... or appropriate for the overall atmosphere

#10 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@DeF said:

@MikeGosot said:

the quest maker existing would be fine but it's the way it is presented ... it just doesn't look good ... or appropriate for the overall atmosphere

Yeah, the empty circle in the HUD is extremely weird. Also, the color used for the quest marker feels wrong too. But, details, details. The game was amazing.
#11 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I thought BF3 was one of the best sounding games of all time as far as sound effects go. If you want to hear some amazing sound effects that is a great game.

#12 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

That's one thing I remember very specifically about Alan Wake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.