Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Gunshots in Alan Wake

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By bananaz

There's a strange thing when I play Alan Wake. My parents are disturbed by it when they sit in the other room, while various shooters and far more violent games go mostly unnoticed by comparison. It's because of the gunshots. When I figured this out, it made me realize how awesome that is, because gunshots in that game bother me too. They're not weak, poofy sounds that blend into an ambiance of war. They're not deep with bass, to convey mastery over power. They pop with combustion and ring like a ringing in your ear. They convey that you are out of your league. That sound jumps higher than anything else and isn't nice to hear. It isn't pleasurable to fire the gun. Even the clash of light with the darkness has a grating sound, like a sparkler scratching a metal plate. It is the sound of a violent chemical reaction, a sonic short-hand for conflict. All of this, not blending into the din of some busy battlefield or arena swarming with enemies, but in contrast to the dark and lonely woods against a few enemies at a time. I want to applaud the sound design in Alan Wake. It truly is the most violent-sounding game I have.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bananaz

There's a strange thing when I play Alan Wake. My parents are disturbed by it when they sit in the other room, while various shooters and far more violent games go mostly unnoticed by comparison. It's because of the gunshots. When I figured this out, it made me realize how awesome that is, because gunshots in that game bother me too. They're not weak, poofy sounds that blend into an ambiance of war. They're not deep with bass, to convey mastery over power. They pop with combustion and ring like a ringing in your ear. They convey that you are out of your league. That sound jumps higher than anything else and isn't nice to hear. It isn't pleasurable to fire the gun. Even the clash of light with the darkness has a grating sound, like a sparkler scratching a metal plate. It is the sound of a violent chemical reaction, a sonic short-hand for conflict. All of this, not blending into the din of some busy battlefield or arena swarming with enemies, but in contrast to the dark and lonely woods against a few enemies at a time. I want to applaud the sound design in Alan Wake. It truly is the most violent-sounding game I have.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

Alan Wake is awesome. That is all.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TentPole

I agree. Even if you don't love the gun-play the guns feel like guns in a way I haven't seen since RE4, at least in a 3rd person shooter anywise. Playing this game in the middle of the night with the sound turned up I really thought it was one of the scarier games out there. I know most people thought it wasn't scary but it is up there with Condemned 1, Silent Hill 1, the original AVP, Amnesia, and Dead Space 1 in my book.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

@MikeGosot said:

Totally agree :) (except for the HUD design ... and the facial animations in cut scenes)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bybeach

Alan Wake fan also. And I even enjoyed the combat.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikeGosot
    @DeF said:

@MikeGosot said:

Totally agree :) (except for the HUD design ... and the facial animations in cut scenes)

I don't remeber the HUD actually. How it was? I remember that i kinda of broke the game and was tense as fuck.  It was in the part where a guy is opening a door for you and you need to use the flares in front of you. Things is, i've already used the flares before he started opening the door... And the waves of guys that came afteer me was... Well... IT WAS INTENSE, MAN! IT WAS HARD! 
    Also, that rock show. That was awesome.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeF

@MikeGosot: oh yea, that stage show was ridiculous :D

No Caption Provided

the constant presence of the current objective and the ugly quest pointer/health meter circle thing are extremely distracting

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot
    @DeF: Oh, the objective thing is atrocious. I remember now. The quest marker actually helped me a few times, so that's okay. 

@bybeach said:

Alan Wake fan also. And I even enjoyed the combat.

The combat was good, man. I loved it.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeF

@MikeGosot said:

@DeF: Oh, the objective thing is atrocious. I remember now. The quest marker actually helped me a few times, so that's okay.

the quest maker existing would be fine but it's the way it is presented ... it just doesn't look good ... or appropriate for the overall atmosphere

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikeGosot
    @DeF said:

@MikeGosot said:

the quest maker existing would be fine but it's the way it is presented ... it just doesn't look good ... or appropriate for the overall atmosphere

Yeah, the empty circle in the HUD is extremely weird. Also, the color used for the quest marker feels wrong too. But, details, details. The game was amazing.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Commisar123

I thought BF3 was one of the best sounding games of all time as far as sound effects go. If you want to hear some amazing sound effects that is a great game.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sixghost

That's one thing I remember very specifically about Alan Wake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.