Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

How do the DLCs rank among the chapters?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Just beat this game today. I gotta say, it might be the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Not sure how this thing looks or runs on the 360 but man, the nights in the forest look stunning on PC. I don't really have much new to add. I really wish this game was a third shorter. Started off a week ago loving it but gradually less so as I progressed.

I don't think I'd come back to this game if I drop it now so I have to decide whether to push on. So freaking sick of the combat...

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Writer and the Signal are more combat focused than the original chapters, it's a lot of throwing tons of enemies at you. They mostly tread over places you've already been, but they offer more backstory if you're interested in Alan's current fate and whereabouts.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

fun, I like the words and platforming segments.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they were fine. Some good character moments in there. I love Alan Wake, and it, aside from the animations overall, still looks great. Alan Wake is one of my favorite games of last-gen. I can't say I liked the extra content as much as the main game, but they were good. I didn't play them a second time, even though I kind of wanted to. As for American Nightmare, I played it late, but I also like that. If you liked this game, play the other stuff, if you didn't, then don't. It's really as simple as that.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@rikiguitarist: more combat focused? jeez how is that possible. I'd like more story bits 'cause the ending was rather unsatisfying but not sure why they would double down on the combat. there's way too much of it in the main game.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By petethepanda

The first one is underwhelming, it feels like a lot of previous encounters just kind of regurgitated, moving back through areas you've already seen. The second starts to expand on some of the more interesting elements of the gameplay, though, and story-wise it's the point at which they effectively wrap up the first game and start building towards the [hopeful] sequel. It's kind of frustrating it's relegated to DLC, honestly; I loved the ending of the base game, but it's also hard to say that you've actually seen the full ending if you haven't played the second DLC episode.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alan Wake is my favourite game of the last gen. I think the original ending stands on its own pretty well without the DLC parts. That said, they do get creative with some of the set-pieces and overall it's a fun way to cap off the base game. Also I was surprised at how much story stuff they got into American Nightmare since that was originally pitched as a purely combat-focused thing. If you're a fan of the Twilight Zone trappings I'd say it's worth a look!

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember liking them both. I actually liked one of them as much as the actual game, but I can't remember which one. I played the original game on 360 because I wanted something to play on my 360, but played both DLC's on PC. Whichever one has you restarting the scenario is the one I liked the most. The one, I think, where you do alot of running or driving, I didn't like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.