Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Remedy: 'Alan Wake is Xbox 360 exclusive'

VampireWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VampireWhale

Remedy Entertainment has revealed that the Alan Wake project is now an Xbox 360 exclusive - as the PC version has been shelved indefinitely.

This follows comments from the game's lead writer Sam Lake that the team is "fully concentrated on the Xbox 360 version".

A Remedy spokesperson has since confirmed to Digital Spy that the firm is "currently working exclusively" on Alan Wake for the console and that any decision on a potential PC version now rests solely with publisher Microsoft Games.

"Our PC plans are currently open [and] therefore a joint PC/Xbox launch is not possible at this late stage," said the representative.

"Remedy has a deep heritage in PC gaming and we would love to see a PC version available for our PC followers. Ultimately, however, this is a decision that lies with our publisher."

Source

Do you think Microsoft will time it later for PC?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

Huh, can't really see why they wouldn't give the PC version the green light? 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

Son of a bitch.

m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By m_rum
    @Hitchenson: To push PC people towards Xbox 360?
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hitchenson
    @m_rum: Hm, I suppose. But is the game going to be so amazing that it will do that?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz
    @Hitchenson: Doubt it.

As a PC player myself, can't say I'm too interested in the game anyway. Just looks like a Silent Hill type of game, not the type of game I enjoy.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Hamz: Yeah, exactly. I just don't see this being a game that will attract a large audience to the 360, however good it is. So if Remedy is willing to develop the game for PC as well, I don't see why MS would not allow them to?
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

Looks like this game won't be the graphical showcase that my dad was hoping for it to be then, but after he saw the gameplay trailer he wasn't too interested.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

The title to this thread = BS, it's simply not true, where does any link state the title is a 360 exclusive?

He explained in an e-mail that they were yet to be in the position to provide a release date for PC. Indeed, his company concentrating all its efforts on the Xbox 360 title. So he promises to announce the release date for PC later.

In answer to your question, yes, of course they will, because as they say, they have a heritage of making games for PC. Microsoft also don't miss a good opportunity to make more money. Microsoft will also want to showcase the merits of DX11 using this game.

VampireWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VampireWhale
    Hilfemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Hilfemaster

This seems really strange given how pc versions have become almost a given a this point, when even Japanese developers like capcom and square are making ports for the IBM compatibles.
    I'm sure there's been some money changing hands somewhere.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By L33tfella_H

This Alan Wake on 360-only deal is the result of Microsoft not having many exclusives for 2009 and needing as many names to spread out for 2010 as possible.

At the most, this is a timed-exclusive just to help push some sales for the 360 this year, there will be a PC version, when is the question.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Hilfemaster:  Because Microsoft definitely wouldn't want to sell copies of the game that run on BOTH their platforms. Oh yeah there TOTALLY was money exchanged. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Hilfemaster:  Because Microsoft definitely wouldn't want to sell copies of the game that run on BOTH their platforms. Oh yeah there TOTALLY was money exchanged.  "
    I don't know, Microsoft is going to move copies of Windows regardless.  If they want to sell 360s, they have to make it appealing.  It isn't as appealing if every game that comes out on an Xbox also comes out for PC.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ
    @EvilTwin: They wouldn't cannibalize their own business. Microsoft is publishing the game, so it's not just there to sell copies of windows and xboxes, they make mad money off each copy of the game, so more sales=more money. They wouldn't make this move on purpose and I'm sure someone at Microsoft is a bit disappointed by the lack of a PC version.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
    @Hilfemaster said:
    "This seems really strange given how pc versions have become almost a given a this point, when even Japanese developers like capcom and square are making ports for the IBM compatibles. I'm sure there's been some money changing hands somewhere."
    Some money changing hands? Microsoft is the game's publisher, dude.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

I say it serves PC gamers right for hoggin all the Blizzard ;)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Evilsbane

Microsoft needs new exclusives right now to push Xbox sales, this is just a way for them to do that.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin
    @XII_Sniper:  It's all about the bottom line.  If they think by keeping it 360 exclusive they can net a larger profit, they'll do it.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

Curious if the Modern Warfare 2 PC sales numbers had any effect on this?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By AndrewB

"We ultimately realized that the money that Microsoft were giving us to inexplicably deny their other gaming platform of a decent game, thus crippling one of the few needs to run Windows over any other operating system,  was just too good to pass up."

I'm not really pissed off or anything because I always planned to play it on the 360, if at all, but it's just funny how things work out. It's amazing how much a company like Microsoft shoots their own branches in the foot all the time and still remain one of the richest companies in the world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.